Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The local used game store is run by idiots!

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    Yeah, there's a Play n' Trade in Milford. I think there's still a Game City out there too. They're both okay stores. Last time I was out that way (which was last year, I'm afraid) Game City had a decent selection, but their prices were high. Play n' Trade had alright prices, but their entire retro section was stuffed into one little island dump bin. Not much to pick from. Still, I've wanted to get back out there and check them both out for a while now.

You know Games Galore moved, right? They're in Northgate Mall now. I grew up in that area, so I've been wanting to go check it out, but I haven't had the chance yet.
    Cool...Milford's a tad out of the way. I rarely get out on the East end of I-275 because that part of the loop is more spread out than it is here on the west side. I generally find better stuff venturing North up in Westchester and Mason and further up around Middletown as well as South in Florence and Turfway. Going out East happens once in a blue moon as I don't really know where stuff is aside from the Eastgate Mall area and some places in Cherry Grove.

As for Games Galore, I'd heard they just moved into the mall but I've not been by to see the new place. I wonder wherebouts in the mall they set up shop since EB is in the dead center. I kinda don't understand the reasoning behind the move into there because that mall is DEAD. JC Pennys moved down the road by I-275 where they put Best Buy in. Sears just announced they're pulling out and I think Dillard's is as well. The only anchor left would be Macy's and I had heard that Kohls was considering coming in and replacing Dillards. Still....the entire wing where Dillards is now is ALL closed.

Meh...I'm sure he'll do fine even with a GS in the mall, right outside the mall, and one a mile down the road.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, Cincinnati Mills has filed for bankruptcy I heard. It'll probably close soon, so I'm not surprised Games Galore moved out. But when they were at Cincinnati Mills they had a Game Stop not three or four stores down from Games Galore, and they did fine. I'm sure wherever they're at in Northgate, it shouldn't be a problem for them.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

So Northgate's even "deader" than Cincinnati Mills? I thought Games Galore's move was a smart one since Mills was basically going down... especially after Biggs moved out. I guess it's been a few years since I've been to Colerain, so I don't know what the mall scene is like there anymore.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    So Northgate's even "deader" than Cincinnati Mills? I thought Games Galore's move was a smart one since Mills was basically going down... especially after Biggs moved out. I guess it's been a few years since I've been to Colerain, so I don't know what the mall scene is like there anymore.
    Oh no, Northgate is nowhere near as dead as the Mills is. At least Northgate has a little foot traffic going through it. It'd be nice if there were less empty storefronts in that mall but malls in general seem to be on the way out. If you want to see a mall that's absolutely dead, go check out Middletown Mall.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Insert Coin (Level 0) SolidZach's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny i live down the road from Game Insane and I havent had any problems with them, heck one of the employees dated my sister, but I just choose to aviod it and allmost all gamestores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If anybody stops in Morris, IL sometime, look for St. Vincent's on Division St. across from the Jewel Osco. When you walk in, look behind the counter and look for NESes or PSXes. Ask to look at one, and you'll find the biggest rip-off of a used NES ever. That, and they STILL haven't gotten a Genesis in 4 YEARS.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    If anybody stops in Morris, IL sometime, look for St. Vincent's on Division St. across from the Jewel Osco. When you walk in, look behind the counter and look for NESes or PSXes. Ask to look at one, and you'll find the biggest rip-off of a used NES ever. That, and they STILL haven't gotten a Genesis in 4 YEARS.
    Are you talking about St. Vincent De Paul? Because that's a thrift store chain...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Are you talking about St. Vincent De Paul? Because that's a thrift store chain...
    Yeah, I think it's part of a chain. And they also haven't had an Atari 2600 since summer last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I just did a search for Game Insane and this was the first thing to pop up on the Google. I mainly want to make sure they're still open before I make the mighty trek from the east side out there and I really don't want the trip to be in vain. An added bonus would be if they have a decent selection of pre-NES stuff, Atari 2600 in particular. Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    her partially exposed butthole offends my christian sensibilities yet makes me want to play jet force gemini

<skaar> Let's triforce our dicks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Man. Theres a fistful of local game stores around here, and I only go to one of them anymore. I'd rather take my chances on eBay. At least if I get crap, I got paypal on my team.

I've taken some spare games to a few of the "no go anymore" stores hoping to trade them in for something good only to watch the owner in plain sight, hop on eBay via laptop, and find the lowball price, wack it down by 80% and say thats what I can have.

Followed by loose illusion of gaia carts for 35$?

Took em to the better store, got 2x what I was offered at the no-go store....

its a fairly large put off to enter a store with games that aren't priced since I get sick of asking how much things of interest are only to go back a week later and be told a different (higher) price, and then theres discs/cases that are grimey, and then be told ebay prices on games..... especially loose ones or ones with rental stickers all over em.

I think there is a reason the one store has been around for like, 20 years and the rest last about 5.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    I think there is a reason the one store has been around for like, 20 years and the rest last about 5.
    The best of the local stores, Book Broker, will have been open for 35 years next year. 35! Granted they've built their corner-store empire on comics and cards, but that just means they have more wiggle room for their game prices. I've gotten some amazing deals there since I was tall enough to see over the counter. Heavenly Sword for $10? Yes, please!

Then there is the Book & Music Exchange, a small chain of used-stuff stores headquartered in Louisville, but has 5 stores within a 60 mile radius of the unassuming little hamlet in which I live.

Evansville/Diamond Avenue easily tops the short list. Excellent prices on (most of) what they have; they seem to be the first to drop the prices of their games as soon as one of them has a light bulb appear over their head and think "hey, maybe this is a little too much". Diamond is also the only one in the area that still carries Sega games. Legendary deal: Shining Force CD for $5.

Owensboro/Frederica Street is #2. Again, excellent prices on most of their stuff. It's fun to come in once a month just to watch the price drop on the God of War PSP.

Owensboro/Triplett Street also has some great deals. Got a Pikachu N64 there with Expansion Pak for less than $50, and a lot of their GBA games were less than $10. Pinball of the Dead for $4? Yes, please!

Evansville/Washington Avenue can be described in one word: meh. But I've actually got several more words. They have the best manga selection, and the Xbox games can be had for a pittance. However, they are still on my shit list for recently having had a Sailor Moon Season 1 set at $200.

and finally,

Henderson: the only one of the five I've been to with the abomination known as the Collector's Section. This eyesore includes such gems as Valkyrie Profile @ $70 with no manual, and Final Fantasy VII at $75. The manga section is non-existent, and the prices for many of the games make Amazon look cheap. However, the guys behind the counter have no control over the stupidity that radiates from Louisville and only seems to hit Second Street and Washington Avenue. I begrudgingly give them my business at times, such as yesterday, when I found them to be the only store in the area with a reasonably priced copy of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What bothers me is trade-ins. If I trade a game for $5 and they put it out for sale for $40, I feel pretty ripped-off. I can understand if it's cash, but for store credit, that's a bit much.

I live in Seattle, WA and have basically given up on the game stores around here. I sometimes find deals in thrift stores, but mostly if it wasn't for Craigslist, I wouldn't have the huge game collection I own. You guys complaining about not having game stores, imagine if you DID and they had all these great rare games, but they wanted 2X to 10X Ebay prices. That's Seattle.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here in Eastern MA, used game stores are pretty much impossible to find. GameStop has had its run of the place. In my area there are three thrift shops. I only recently moved to my new house, so I believe I had bought most of their stock that was floating around for a few months. One thrift store has great prices ($1 a game/CD/VHS/record, got me Super Mario World, some atari games, and a bunch of PC games. Boxed PC games run for 3 bucks. Two copies of half life 2, thank you!) Another thrift store reportedly doesn't sell video games, and rips you off on everything else you might happen to want (and they tape the cases to the CDs...) The third store is a consignment store. I found a powerglove for $24, disgusting ROB w/o battery cover for $40, boxed 32X for $60, loose PS1 for $40, and a bunch of games between 12 and 20 dollars. Coleco Donkey Kong (2600) for 15 dollars loose? no way! GOAL! and Jackal on NES for $15, no thanks! Needless to say, i have not bought much there (i got a Star Fox 64 nintendo power movie for $1 and a boxed minty RC Pro-Am for 10. What great deals, eh?)

This same place sells old, nasty, dusty Beatles vinyls for 10 dollars apiece, and they are scratched to hell, mind you.

In Framingham there's a place called Game Universe. They bottom out prices at $3, which are mostly cartridge sports games and atari games, and base every other game off of eBay prices. Needless to say, the majority of SNES and genesis games are way overpriced (pretty much every RPG is going for 40 to 50 bucks. Super Mario RPG, Phantasy Star, Shining Force...) They did have a boxed Vectorman for 7 dollars, which I was almost obliged to get...

Yard sales never yield games, and Raynham flea overprices as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    What bothers me is trade-ins. If I trade a game for $5 and they put it out for sale for $40, I feel pretty ripped-off. I can understand if it's cash, but for store credit, that's a bit much.

I live in Seattle, WA and have basically given up on the game stores around here. I sometimes find deals in thrift stores, but mostly if it wasn't for Craigslist, I wouldn't have the huge game collection I own. You guys complaining about not having game stores, imagine if you DID and they had all these great rare games, but they wanted 2X to 10X Ebay prices. That's Seattle.
    That sounds like every flea market I've been to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

meh, it was a necro'd thread
    Last edited by Griking; 12-01-2009 at 07:07 PM.