Thread: February 2010 Finds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1) HurricaneAndrew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was in a Goodwill a little over a week ago that had a box of probably 30-40 loose Atari 2600 games. They were mostly commons and duplicates but there were a few good one that I could put in my collection or resell. I took the box up to the front of the store and asked if they would sell the whole box for a $25. They said that they weren't allowed to do that, and that several people had come in wanting to do that, but they had to tell them the same. So I asked what they were supposed to sell them for, and I was told $4 each. They acted kind of aggrivated because of the fact that the games had sat for so long, but couldn't take any offers on them. I cherry-picked the few I needed that were in the box and paid the asking price.

The whole ordeal makes me wonder where they get their prices or who is marking the decisions as to what price something is marked.

Edit: The post above this says that he found an Atari 2600 system for $2.99 at a Goodwill, yet I was asked to pay $4 each for Atari 2600 games... This just reinforces my point.
    Last edited by HurricaneAndrew; 02-01-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

sometimes it helps if you are a regular and you are nice and polite, not arogant and obnoxious when you try to negotiate there, they get tons and tons of creepy ebay resellers in any of those stores dayly and they generally don't care to deal with them much (as they can be pretty fucking obnoxious over the difference of a dollar or two) but once they realize you actualy enjoy the games instead of just flipping them, you'llfind they'll be more open to negotiations. and if you are one of those anoying flippers well....TOO BAD! ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I'm off school and I have some time at the moment I've been getting back into game searching. I was at a thrift store today which usually doesn't have any games, but lo and behold I walk in and there's a pile of Playstation and XBox games right on one of the counters.

All complete, in pretty good condition:

Cool Boarders 2001 - PS1
    SSX 3 - PS2
    SSX World Tour - PS2

All the rest were sports games, which I didn't really want to deal with.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When I see loose N64s at Goodwill they tend to run around 10 bucks. Loose controllers are usually in the 3-5 range. Same thing with PS1's, although once in a while I see one for 19.99

Insert Coin (Level 0) Snappaccino's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty busy day. I had some time to myself so I spent it going to every pawn shop and thrift store in my area.

Snow Brothers in the box with registration card, warranty card and some poster all in mint condition (box has a squish near the bottom right corner) 4.99

Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout complete - 4.99

G.I. Joe - 4.99
    Double Dragon - 3.99
    Guerrilla War - 3.99
    Rainbow Island - 3.99
    Tony Hawk 2 - $1.50
    Keith Courage - 3.99
    Yo Noid/Ratchet and Clank/Blood Omen Legacy of Kain - $10
    Castle Shikigami 2 - $4.99

Found this plush Tails from the Sonic X series. He is missing a lot of his stuffing but that isn't a problem, he can be re stuffed. 99 cents at goodwill.
    Last edited by Snappaccino; 02-01-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneAndrew View Post
    I was in a Goodwill a little over a week ago that had a box of probably 30-40 loose Atari 2600 games. They were mostly commons and duplicates but there were a few good one that I could put in my collection or resell. I took the box up to the front of the store and asked if they would sell the whole box for a $25. They said that they weren't allowed to do that, and that several people had come in wanting to do that, but they had to tell them the same. So I asked what they were supposed to sell them for, and I was told $4 each. They acted kind of aggrivated because of the fact that the games had sat for so long, but couldn't take any offers on them. I cherry-picked the few I needed that were in the box and paid the asking price.
    I know what I'm doing next time I find an obnoxious Goodwill employee:
    Dropping off a box full of Combat cartridges.