Thread: Played some of Zelda: Ocarina of Time earlier tonight for first time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I finally got a Nintendo 64 and a copy of Ocarina of Time in 1999 a year after OoT was released, and felt like acquiring the console was justified from that one game alone. So yes, I'd say it's worth picking up a Nintendo 64 for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time is basically Link to the Past in 3d and I have a tough time deciding which one is the pinnacle of the series.

GameCube's are extremely cheap. I think I paid $20 for a third one less then a year ago and $10 or so for a Game Boy Player from GS to make one a dedicated Game Boy Player so I didn't always have to change disc and controllers on my original everytime I want to play a GBA game (I play GC games on my original and keep a second GC NIB for the day it may be needed).

I wouldn't spend more then $20-$30 on a used GameCube in good condition with a controller, power supply, and first party controller.

The GameCube Zelda's are fun too, but never quite rival the two titles on the N64. Even still, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are great games and Four Swords Adventures is an interesting experience that modernizes the graphics from Link to the Past and brings level based multiplayer gaming to the Zelda franchise.

There are also two compilations on the GameCube. One includes Ocarina of Time and an interesting hack of it that supposedly recycles much of the content that the unreleased Ura Zelda project for the N64 DD was supposed to be (Think of it as a second quest for Ocarina of Time).

Then there's a second compilation with both NES and both N64 titles (No Link to the Past as Nintendo had just then released it on the GBA). It's a nice collection, but be aware that there are issues with Majora's Mask including a slower frame rate, crashes, and the loss of saves. And neither N64 Zelda ever feels quite right with a GameCube controller in my opinion.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-27-2010 at 02:17 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would pick up an n64 to play OOT and Majora's Mask just for the sake of using the correct controller. the games are really optimized for that controller.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Ocarina of Time, WCW Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, WWF No Mercy, Ogre Battle 64(best game on the system,) Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Nightmare Creatures, Mega Man 64(Legends,) Forsaken(better than PSX version.)

I'd say the system has enough good games you can't get on the Virtual Console to make it worth owning. Infact most of those games you can't get on the VC. I think the only one I listed that you can is Ocarina of Time.

Also. Only get Majora's Mask if you want one fetch quest after another throughout the entire game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zelda OoT is my personal nomination for "best game ever", though my personal all-time favorite will always be Goldeneye.

It's really an amazing game and I cannot think of a single flaw. The dungeons are enough to make rookies consult strategy guides. There's all sorts of side quests for the 100% guys, even including the fishing minigame which can be quite entertaining. The environments and graphics make you feel part of world. Revisiting old areas later in your quest gives you a sense of aging and it is amazing to see what becomes of some areas later in the adventure.

I haven't played it since back in 1997 or so but I really should dig it out again someday. The problem with most of us collectors is that we have hundreds of games on the shelves and only so many hours in the day.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!