Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheapest way to play Turbografx CD games?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Purkeynator View Post
    Virtual Console is the route I went. I got a ton of great games (including Dracula Rondo) for a little over $100, plus they look great on my high def TV over component. Also no cards to worry about, reliability is excellent, and no turbo tap needed!
    My understanding here was that the OP wanted to play the actual retail CD games. I think every TG16 emulator these days can read TG-CD's through your PC's CD-ROM drive, so it's sort of like a big console (Hell, build a computer in a case like this, and with the right emulators, you could ditch your SegaCD, TurboGrafx-CD, PSX, etc).

In theory, you'll still have to pirate the Super System 3.0 ROM image (or suffer with MagicEngine's replacement), so I guess it's not a perfect solution, but it's basically free.

--Zero

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has been something that I've wanted to know for a while. I've wanted to pick up a Turbografx for a while. For the most part, the only games I've had an interest in are the Ys games.

It's just that the system is so expensive to get games for. I just don't know if I'll ever get one. I have a hard time paying more than $50 for any older console. The most I've paid for a classic console was $40 for a Laseractive. Guess I'll just have to wait for those PSP ports.

I'm wondering if there is a good TGCD emulator for the xbox? I have a modded xbox with xbox media center. I'm asking on the off chance that I actually find some of the Ys games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Ys games, huh? I did import some of the PSP ones. Unfortunate for my wallet it sounds like they're getting US releases after all.
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by erehwon View Post
    This has been something that I've wanted to know for a while. I've wanted to pick up a Turbografx for a while. For the most part, the only games I've had an interest in are the Ys games.

It's just that the system is so expensive to get games for. I just don't know if I'll ever get one. I have a hard time paying more than $50 for any older console. The most I've paid for a classic console was $40 for a Laseractive. Guess I'll just have to wait for those PSP ports.

I'm wondering if there is a good TGCD emulator for the xbox? I have a modded xbox with xbox media center. I'm asking on the off chance that I actually find some of the Ys games.
    Well.. if you think $50 is expensive for a old game, then the TG16/CD isn't for you. Stick with emulation or just play the remakes of the Ys games on something else (Like the PC for instance. Ys 1 & II for PC has an English translation. So does the Ys 3 remake).
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Well.. if you think $50 is expensive for a old game, then the TG16/CD isn't for you. Stick with emulation or just play the remakes of the Ys games on something else (Like the PC for instance. Ys 1 & II for PC has an English translation. So does the Ys 3 remake).
    I could pay more for an old system. I'm just really cheap. I've gotten almost all of my classic game stuff from garage sales, so I'm used to stuff being very cheap. I picked up a Vectrex for $2 and complete JVC X'Eye for $10, for example. I might pick up one of those Duo-r systems someday. I just don't have the extra money for that right now.

How hard is to track down the PC versions of the Ys games? Are these something I could just pick up from play-asia?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erehwon View Post
    I've used both of the XBOX ones at one point and from what I remember they are pretty good. HugoX and I think Mednafenx is the other. From what I remember (it's been years) they ran CD games with minimal issues. It's a bit tricky formatting them correctly to store on the HDD (you can compress the WAV audio tracks down to MP3, which are smaller files, and as long as the CUE file is correct, they'll play fine) but supposedly they'll also run original discs right in the drive too.