Thread: Gremlins 2 (Game-Boy)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gremlins 2 (Game-Boy)

I have to admit that it's one of the toughest platform games out there. The design choices are so wonky- for instance, you have to make a nearly impossible jump in level 3 and be able to land on a spring. It looks a bit like this...

===
    (You) (spring)
    =========== ==

If you happen to touch that little "block" that's just a little higher upwards than the spring, you end up dying in the chasm. How the fuck could Sunsoft expect a small child to ever clear that leap of faith...if they could even GET to the third level in the first place. For me, this isn't too bad a jump...I just run and then at the last moment jump and about 75 percent of the time I'll clear it. Where I run into trouble are the bosses- they're even more ridiculous than the actual levels. The Bat Creature has sickening AI, and you'll almost always get hit in the process of hitting him...the little bats he tosses out are inavoidable 50 percent of the time.

Has anyone even finished this game? As to me it's technically impossible because of design flaw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember poring over the reviews of this game in the old official Nintendo Game Boy Player's Guide (in that way that only a deprived youth with nothing better to do can pore over something). It did spend quite a bit of time talking about that particular jump, in fact. As I recall, you can pause the game to halt the progress of your jump and land safely.

Odds are Youtube or GameFAQs can offer you much more explicit assistance.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    As I recall, you can pause the game to halt the progress of your jump and land safely.
    Ha, really? I didn't have too much trouble with the jump but then again that is a neat little hint for anybody still trying to beat it. I can make it up to level 4, and then die at the Spider Gremlin. There are far worse segments involving ridiculous jumping on that level, a few of them even closer to impossibility than that one.