Thread: PC Game Collector's Thread - Rooms of DooM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    and worse yet it's even more often useless to back it up anyway because the games won't let you restore lost data from a backup! It's been that way more often than not for as long as I've been into it
    I've... never actually heard of that before. Ever. Well, maybe some of the nastier old roguelikes and such that intentionally delete your saves when you die to emphasize the permanence of death. But most of the time even with newer games the saves just stick around in the program's directory following uninstallation.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I've... never actually heard of that before. Ever. Well, maybe some of the nastier old roguelikes and such that intentionally delete your saves when you die to emphasize the permanence of death. But most of the time even with newer games the saves just stick around in the program's directory following uninstallation.
    I have. Sometimes it has to do with file permissions, other times with missing files - you may have the same SAVE files handy, but another hidden file stored in god knows what folder might be needed. Hell, sometimes the games will HIDE the savegames and not tell you where they are.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Alone In The Dark, you motherf####r!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BasicConduct
    PSN
    SebasContheGo

Anyone up for a SIM game?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got really into PC gaming in the late 90s, around the rise and fall of 3dfx. While I kept all of my boxes, I threw out the cardboard formers, so a lot of mine are in BAD shape. I'll probably buy a cheap copy of Tomb Raider or Thief one of these days to get a perfect replacement former for my FF7 box...

As much as I love my giant PC game boxes, I have no space to display them. Right now, they're all boxed up in the closet and ripped to ISO. I'll take photos someday if I can get them on nice shelves or something, but I'm not even thinking about putting time into PC gaming until I can get through my console backlog.

The giant boxes and thick manuals were great, but nowadays I really appreciate the standard box sizes we have. They're shelf-friendly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I have. Sometimes it has to do with file permissions, other times with missing files - you may have the same SAVE files handy, but another hidden file stored in god knows what folder might be needed. Hell, sometimes the games will HIDE the savegames and not tell you where they are.
    Diablo originally obfuscated the save files. They were named randomly and hidden in the Windows folder. If you modified the files or changed the time stamp, they wouldn't load. I remember my hard drive died on my and I lost my games. After that I managed to find out the location of the files, but even then the backup copies wouldn't work when I tried to restore. Many years later, Blizzard released a patch that revealed the files and put them directly into the Diablo folder.