Thread: ColecoVision Best Musics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ColecoVision Best Musics

Hello,

I'm making progress into using the ColecoVision sound chip and lately I've composed musics you and I probably never dreamed to be done for this game system, except maybe by using new components like an expansion module or special cartridges.

These links are two musics I would like to share with you, music that I did code, 1 byte at a time, 1 note at a time, no midi conversion tool or chiptune music tracker... all done the hard way. It takes days to music a single music, like the one I've done for my project CV GhostBlaster.

COMMANDO (inspired by Rob Hubbard version) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX1xSKQM9sc
    WHAT IS LOVE : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9p11c0MwWE

And to prove to you that it's really Coleco sounds, I gave you also ROM and source files as well in the links you can find in my blog, links in the description section of the videos.

Side note : I think I should have posted in the classic discussions section instead, but I'm not allowed to do so. Don't blame me for that.
    Long time no see. Still playing my coleco games?
    http://newcoleco.dev-fr.org

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I definitely feel like getting my groove on listening to these tracks. Great work Newcoleco!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thumbs up Excellent

I almost skipped this thread based on the title. I thought that this was going to be about Colecovision games with the best music, I wonder how many others did to.

At any rate, what a surprise! Your music is fantastic. I can really appreciate the time you put into this little project. Kudos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

That's awesome! Keep up the good work!
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I almost skipped this thread based on the title. I thought that this was going to be about Colecovision games with the best music, I wonder how many others did to.
    I thought the same thing. I was about to chime in with Antarctic Adventure and Pepper II.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

If only you and Opcode had been working for Coleco back in 1982...
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry for the misundestanding, but the title for this thread is correct. Hopefully, some of you did take time to check it out and get the good surprise as a reward.

Thank you all people taking time to check the links. Hope you did enjoy these links, downloaded the files, and shared them with your friends.

And now, off-topic, answer to "if I did work for Coleco back in 1982..." :

You can presume that the restrictions imposed by companies to reduce costs like short deadlines and rom size limited to 16KB in the case of Coleco games have pissed off both of us before even starting any project, and we decided to do our own stuff instead.

The reality is : we need time and free space to program, to compose, to refine, to do our best to release new Coleco projects each year. And I personnaly do appreciate to make projects I want for this game system. I was able to make a great game in 2009 in less than 32KB that was somehow original (at least not an arcade title) and probably more advanced than what you may expected for a ColecoVision game. However this game project did taken more time, cost and energy than what any company would have accepted in the first place.

I've a huge respect for those in the past who did work in these conditions (of restrictions) to provide us these great games, even if they are not complete or arcade perfect. I personnaly don't care if the graphics are not exact, whatever if the reason is memory or even to be more suitable for tv screen than vertical arcade screen... Opcode is more perfectionist than me so we don't agree on this point.

So, in a supposition of working back for Coleco, I guess that I may have worked on Mr.Turtle while Opcode may have worked on Wizard of Wor... but unfortunately we never finished these games back then because sadly being forced to leave or abandon these projects to work on office-like softwares for the Coleco Adam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And, an addition surprise!

MORTAL KOMBAT : http://newcoleco.dev-fr.org/p4207/20...bat-music.html

You can find the source, rom files, as well as two MP3 files this time, one is Coleco only, and the other compare (in stereo) the original and coleco versions. Enjoy!

Insert Coin (Level 0) CapnCrunch53's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, awesome work man! I especially got a kick out of the "What is Love" one, mainly because I get that song stuck in my head frequently. I'm a huge fan of making music on old systems and computers; 8bitpeoples.com has some great free music on it as well. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by newcoleco View Post
    I've composed musics you and I probably never dreamed to be done for this game system
    Really, after your lovely rendition of Space Harrier, I am quite convinced that there's very little that isn't possible.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm making progress into using the ColecoVision sound chip and lately I've composed musics you and I probably never dreamed to be done for this game system, except maybe by using new components like an expansion module or special cartridges.
    It uses the same chip as the SG series, SMS, GG, BBC, and other systems. Pretty similar to the MSX/atari ST and clone chips too. So it doesn't surprise me that you can create music with the chip (as opposed to something like the limited audio of the 2600 single POKEY). Was there speculation among gamers that the Coleco couldn't do music???

These links are two musics I would like to share with you, music that I did code, 1 byte at a time, 1 note at a time, no midi conversion tool or chiptune music tracker... all done the hard way. It takes days to music a single music, like the one I've done for my project CV GhostBlaster.

COMMANDO (inspired by Rob Hubbard version) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX1xSKQM9sc
    WHAT IS LOVE : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9p11c0MwWE

And to prove to you that it's really Coleco sounds, I gave you also ROM and source files as well in the links you can find in my blog, links in the description section of the videos.
    Cool conversions. But why didn't you write a simplistic text to binary converter? It's more insane, than impressive, that you did it by hand in hex or compiled ascii format (which ever method you used). After doing the first tune, I would have spent the time to write a basic/simple script to binary converter (or at least equates in the assembler under data defines). But you're not the only one. I've heard of some other guys do a few tunes like that too (Drag of nes dev scene does his stuff like that). Hehe

Anyway, pretty cool to see someone doing some music for the old Coleco. Nice job on the conversions too Now you just need to hack a few Coleco games and add some sound tracks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to precise that a conversion is using something already made and transform it into another format. I'm not using midi files or things like that to produce these musics. So, you can't say it's a conversion.

Anyway, I've done some more musics since my last post here. If you didn't notice it yet, please visit my Youtube account or visit my newest coleco web site (work in progress and very optimized).

Splash Wave (only 2 tones + noise)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZfLamwT3qs

http://www.youtube.com/newcoleco

http://www.ccjvq.com/newcoleco

Please note that McAfee may gives you a false positive if you click the web site link. Just ignore it or beg McAfee to stop warning you about these false detections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

These are great. The instruments are very nice and blend well. It's nice to see/hear about more chiptunes that ARENT SID ones. That trademark SID chiptune nonsense you see ALL OVER THE DAMN PLACE is starting to really get boring.

I like them even more since you are recreating these from scratch! Very nice. It shows some dedication for sure.

I hope to hear more good stuff soon Splash Wave was very nice. The bass noise was especially <3. Not that I don't like hearing the classic tunes recreated for a new chip/system..... but, have you tried doing any original stuff instead of recreating classic tunes?

What other plans do you have for the coleco anyways . I sure like the smurfs game on the hardest difficulty. Would be pretty comical to have a really demonic sounding tune instead of that happy smurftune.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    (as opposed to something like the limited audio of the 2600 single POKEY).
    I wouldn't go that far! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cf58zpYwm4

The POKEY is pretty primitive, but if you fiddle with it and plan accordingly, some interesting cyberpunk nonsense occurs that is truly difficult to replicate with other chips and get the same gritty tone. Kind of ironic that a primitive, limited chip ends up having a sound that isn't so easy to replicate with other more flexible/advanced chips...

Was there speculation among gamers that the Coleco couldn't do music???
    Nope. Many Coleco games prove the musical capabilities of the system!... you just don't hear much tuneage from anything other than SID, NES and Amiga most of the time. All the older hardware seems to fall by the wayside in favor of more flexible stuff.

Also if anyone is ever in doubt that the Coleco can do music, Dragons Lair proves it!

and most MSX games prove it. The PSG in the MSX is similar enough that it'll give you a near identical example. So near that you can emulate coleco games on the MSX and the sound isn't even any different.

Cool conversions. But why didn't you write a simplistic text to binary converter?
    In my experience...some people don't like writing these things. Especially if you are redoing note by note (as was done here. mentioned in the videos) and don't have a set format to use yet.

since these were created from scratch, it's difficult to come up with a format and punch everything out and convert, etc, etc. You would essentially be creating a new music language and compiler for it, with a player. In the long run this could be beneficial, but thats after all of the planning/organizing/testing/debugging of a new music scripting language and accompanying compiler/player setup. Seems like a lot of hassle if you're already making nice tunes without it, no?

It's more insane, than impressive, that you did it by hand in hex or compiled ascii format (which ever method you used).
    I think it's impressive that someone is producing nice tunes this way. It's a headache for me to do it that way. 2 days to make Splash Wave and have it sound that nice? Works for me. I myself needs my MML, but not everyone needs it, and this proves it.

Some people have no problem adjusting to typing out more technical-looking stuff than musical looking stuff. They get used to what they are typing and start to see the patterns and adapt. You said that awhile ago y'know.

After doing the first tune, I would have spent the time to write a basic/simple script to binary converter (or at least equates in the assembler under data defines).
    But you didn't spend the time to write one for your music engine! >_>

and, like I said, if you don't have a format spec, it is a bit tricky to write a converter and all of that.

Some people want to get right to the music.

Like how guitarists want to get right to the guitar playing. They don't want to build their own first.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    These are great.
    Thanks!
    Not that I don't like hearing the classic tunes recreated for a new chip/system..... but, have you tried doing any original stuff instead of recreating classic tunes?
    Long time ago, I've composed my own music, and I've adapted one for the ColecoVision in 2009. I've called it "my music" or "original music" which was a challenge to myself, composing a music with only the black keys on a piano keyboard. I've done a presentation about music at the Adamcon 21 in 2009 with this music, and also a video on Youtube to share the result with my viewers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Em788LcA6M
    What other plans do you have for the coleco anyways .
    Working on my web site and devkit takes all my free time. I can't really program games and at the same time programming the tools to program them plus supporting a youtube channel and making music... I don't have time to do everythin I want. But I've a bunch of ideas about what I'll do next.
    I think it's impressive that someone is producing nice tunes this way. It's a headache for me to do it that way. 2 days to make Splash Wave and have it sound that nice? Works for me. I myself needs my MML, but not everyone needs it, and this proves it.

Some people have no problem adjusting to typing out more technical-looking stuff than musical looking stuff. They get used to what they are typing and start to see the patterns and adapt. You said that awhile ago y'know.

Some people want to get right to the music.

Like how guitarists want to get right to the guitar playing. They don't want to build their own first.
    Sometimes, sharing my ColecoVision projects gives me joy, it depends on what people think about it. It's a real passion for me, it's more than just a hobby. Hopefully, my games and musics are appreciate. Thanks!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great work! This is some classy audio. Commando reminds me much of the music from Impossamole for TG16, the instruments sound really close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Thanks!
    Long time ago, I've composed my own music, and I've adapted one for the ColecoVision in 2009. I've called it "my music" or "original music" which was a challenge to myself, composing a music with only the black keys on a piano keyboard. I've done a presentation about music at the Adamcon 21 in 2009 with this music, and also a video on Youtube to share the result with my viewers.
    Oh... that was you? lol. nice. I like that tune. I'm a black key masher myself, so I can appreciate that tune quite alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Em788LcA6M
    Working on my web site and devkit takes all my free time. I can't really program games and at the same time programming the tools to program them plus supporting a youtube channel and making music... I don't have time to do everythin I want. But I've a bunch of ideas about what I'll do next.
    Sometimes, sharing my ColecoVision projects gives me joy, it depends on what people think about it. It's a real passion for me, it's more than just a hobby. Hopefully, my games and musics are appreciate. Thanks![/QUOTE]

They're much appreciated. The Coleco got a new game recently too. New musics and a new game even! Good stuff. The Colecovision needs more lovin'.

It's understandable that all of the stuff you're planning is too much for one person to undertake and still be able to go outside and breathe some outside air....

Been there, done that. Still there kind of!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Might it perhaps be a good idea to at least show some kind of equalizer bars in these demos, lest someone start claiming that playing this music is consuming 100% of the CPU's resources or something?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Might it perhaps be a good idea to at least show some kind of equalizer bars in these demos, lest someone start claiming that playing this music is consuming 100% of the CPU's resources or something?
    lol, I think you should post a Coleco style "haters gonna hate" image instead, and continue making teh musics