Thread: Saturn black screen after date reset - ideas?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well,shit,this is a tough one, I can't seem to find schematics anywhere to go further into the design of the system, which is complicated, thank you Sega. I mean, your getting a clock screen which suggests the BIOS is at least partially working. No sound thou meaning the sound processor may be fried or not getting instructions from one of the main processors. Then the RAM could be out, again what sucks about the Saturn is it has so many damn processors and memory chips that if one goes out the whole damn system dies. UGH

The System Manager or BIOS chip is a Hitachi 4-bit MCU, "System Manager & Peripheral Control" (SMPC). Then you have two sound chips one is a processor (Yamaha FH1 DSP) and the other is a sound controller (Motorola 68EC000). There's a 512 KB Mask ROM for the SH-2 BIOS.

As I said,the Saturn has so many fucking things that could die, it's bullshit. I mean, Wikipedia seems to list them well:

*Processors*

* Two Hitachi SuperH-2 7604 32-bit RISC processors at 28.63 MHz (25 MIPS)—each has 4 kB on-chip cache (4-way associative), of which 2 kB can alternatively be used as directly addressable Scratchpad RAM
    * Custom VDP 1 32-bit video display processor (running at 28.63 MHz on NTSC and PAL Systems) for sprites/polygons
    * Custom VDP 2 32-bit video display processor (running at 28.63 MHz on NTSC and PAL Systems) for backgrounds/video out
    * Custom System Control Unit (SCU) with DSP for geometry processing and DMA controller (running at 14.3 MHz)
    * Motorola 68EC000 sound controller (running at 11.3 MHz / 1.5 MIPS)
    * Yamaha FH1 DSP sound processor, "Saturn Custom Sound Processor" (SCSP), running at 22.6 MHz
    * SH-1 32-bit RISC microcontroller (for the CD-ROM and CD security checks; uses preprogrammed embedded ROM, not programmable by software)
    * Hitachi 4-bit MCU, "System Manager & Peripheral Control" (SMPC)

*Memory*

* 1 MB SDRAM as work RAM for both SH-2 CPUs (faster)
    * 1 MB DRAM as work RAM for both SH-2 CPUs (slower)
    * 512K VDP1 SDRAM for 3D graphics (Texture data for polygon/sprites and drawing command lists)
    * 2x 256K VDP1 SDRAM for 3D graphics (Two framebuffers for double-buffered polygon/sprite rendering)
    * 512K VDP2 SDRAM for 2D graphics (Texture data for the background layers and display lists)
    * 4 KB VDP2 SRAM for color palette data and rotation coefficient data (local, on-chip SRAM)
    * 512 KB DRAM for sound. (Multiplexed as sound CPU work RAM, SCSP DSP RAM, and SCSP wavetable RAM)
    * 512 KB DRAM as work RAM for the CD-ROM subsystem's SH-1 CPU
    * 32 KB SRAM with battery back-up for data retention.
    * 512 KB Mask ROM for the SH-2 BIOS

I'm not even sure of the availability of these chips,I hate to throw away a functional Saturn that has one bad chip or something. I would start would start with the sound processor & or controlelr if you really want to replace it.
    Last edited by alec006; 08-07-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."