Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How picky are you about your carts condition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Cart condition is important to me, but I won't be anal about it. As long as the game is in good condition, I don't mind. Not beat the hell out of and I am ok. I have carts that have been ultra worn, but they still look good, so it's fine with me. Nevertheless, I try my best to get the best condition possible and will skip over games that either are "loose" or look like shit.

From 1 to 10, 10 being best, the most I've accepted is a 5, or just "fair". Not too bad, not great either...just "OK" or "fair".
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atari 5200 View Post
    I'm so picky about my carts, I passed up NWC 1990 for $10 because it had a spot of mud on it.
    That's all for this installment of "Collectors Failing Upwards". Stay tuned for a tutorial on junking all those useless boxes, cases, packages and booklets!

I've had gorgeous looking ones that didn't work at all and I've had awful looking onces that fired up without a hitch. It's a lot like dating actually.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 12-08-2010 at 10:00 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tony Lama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will usually buy a cart (if needed for my collection) as long as it's not totally messed up and the label is intact. Writing on the cart doesn't bother me so much. But I'm not so crazy about engraving (where some kid carved his initials into the plastic). If the game is functional I will add it to my collection. If I find a nicer copy down the road, I will replace it.
    One thing that REALLY gets me though is the little "rattle" of some carts that have a piece of plastic broken off inside! I know most collectors open up their carts to solve that problem, but I don't do that. First off I don't have the proper tools. And second, for some weird reason, opening up a cart makes me feel I've ruined the "integrity" of the cart. Like it was put together by some factory machine long ago and was never meant to be opened by the user. Call me CRAZY!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as it works I will buy it. I've got a few games with some serious gouges in them, but as long as the game play isn't affected, I'm not too particular.

Labels are the same. I'd rather have a nice label, but I won't discriminate if I find something I've been looking for and it's a little beat up.
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't really care. As long as the game works and the cart and label aren't wrecked, I'll buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
    or risk glue a peeling label back.
    I found a copy of Dragon Warrior III at Goodwill for $2 a few months ago. Unfortunately the top left corner of the label was peeling and I planned on selling it. So I took a small dab of crazy glue and affixed it to the underside of the peeling label and presto--no more peeling label.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 12-09-2010 at 01:51 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fanatical. All games in my U.S. Sega collection must be in like-new condition or new. For packaging variants, Sega imports or any non-Sega game I am much less stringent. Having these games in like-new condition is a much lower priority but I will take the opportunity to upgrade their conditions whenever I can.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lama View Post
    I will usually buy a cart (if needed for my collection) as long as it's not totally messed up and the label is intact. Writing on the cart doesn't bother me so much. But I'm not so crazy about engraving (where some kid carved his initials into the plastic). If the game is functional I will add it to my collection. If I find a nicer copy down the road, I will replace it.
    One thing that REALLY gets me though is the little "rattle" of some carts that have a piece of plastic broken off inside! I know most collectors open up their carts to solve that problem, but I don't do that. First off I don't have the proper tools. And second, for some weird reason, opening up a cart makes me feel I've ruined the "integrity" of the cart. Like it was put together by some factory machine long ago and was never meant to be opened by the user. Call me CRAZY!!
    You CRAZY!

I take what I can get. I don't think I've turned down anything I needed in the wild because of condition if the price was decent. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but I have an NES pyramid with a half torn label and reeking of cat piss. I still couldn't throw it out, so it is in its own baggie. I upgrade pretty much everything when I get the chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    So I took a small dab of crazy glue and affixed it to the underside of the peeling lable and presto--no more peeling label.
    Nice!!! Think im gonna have to give it a try...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalstar64 View Post
    By the way does anyone care about the safety label on the back?
    Dude!!! Thats the crazzyiest part of my madness!!! While I want my front label perfect I could care less about the back one!!!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett