Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In this thread we remember Sony's arrogance when it came to PSP vs DS in 2005.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Sony's arrogant at times. So is Nintendo and Microsoft.
    The system that get's my attention and money is the one that does the best job of providing software for my tastes. I'm not a kid anymore, so ...

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/23/ps...-m-for-mature/

Actually, ESRB lists the PSP as having 69 Mature rated games and 317 Teen rated games. It lists the NDS as having 11 Mature rated games and 151 Teen rated games.

The PSP is definately not a flop at my house.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
    Typical Sony. That said, the PSP has destroyed the DS in Japan for nearly a year now.
    From vgchartz.com (don't know if they can be trusted, though), it says that by January 15th, the DS sold 35,191 while PSP sold 30,782, which would put the DS in the lead at least for that time frame.

But compared to other years, the PSP is indeed selling quite nicely. It's a great handheld so I am glad more and more are purchasing it.

Now to continue playing Ghost of Sparta on it...
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which is odd considering there are barely any games coming out on the N. American market...
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im pretty sure vgchartz can't be trusted as the person who finds out the information for them has admited to just making up numbers in the past though.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
    Typical Sony. That said, the PSP has destroyed the DS in Japan for nearly a year now.
    Source?

And the Saturn also did REALLY well in Japan, that doesn't really say much now does it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the PSP. Mod wise, YES. I even loved the modding process on it. It was fun to see what i could get it to do next, like modding a car-sorta like a little workshop to tinker with. Im not getting into ISOs but UMD game wise, it had a decent library. Its launch was good but i waited for a while until it dropped considerably. I loved the Emulation and the way it felt in my hands (the original model, i dont know about the newer ones) and it was perfect for classic gaming anywhere. Hell i want one again. I bought 2 already and sold them for different reasons..When the DS came out i didnt have a big need to purchase one until much later, 1-2 years later, same with the PSP..oddly i do that with handhelds, and yet with the big console brethren, i want one immediately..

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

So the PSP sells well in Japan. It's got a market there. It hasn't hit saturation in Japan like the various incarnations of the DS have. I'd say the PSP is more of a failure outside of Japan. It's time has come and gone for most. The lack of shelf space in then many different kinds of shops Big box retailers like Target/WalMart/BestBuy and even game-centric stores like GameStop.

Anything that moves 60 million units isn't a flop. It's just less successful than something thats moved a combined higher amount of units. Both systems have made their respective owners alot of money.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Im pretty sure vgchartz can't be trusted as the person who finds out the information for them has admited to just making up numbers in the past though.
    Do you have a link?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

As several others have pointed out, the measure of success varies by who is doing the analysis. The DS has sold record numbers of units around the world, it has also moved a huge quantity of first party games. For Nintendo which doesn't subsidize hardware, it has been a massive financial success. For a lot of third party developers, however, the DS has not been a great success.

Similarly, the PSP has sold a huge number of units and had some very successful titles including one of the best selling games in Japan last year across all platforms for Capcom with Monster Hunter. Having said that, Sony lost money on the PSP hardware in the early years and unfortunately, PSP first and third party software has slowed to a trickle. Of course, there are some amazing games coming out for people who love JRPGS and Tactical RPGS in the next two months. Calling the PSP a flop is a complete mischaracterization, however. I would agree that it is nowhere near as successful as the DS, but then again, the DS is the most financially and numerically successful platform in history.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A PSP flop, compared to reality? No, that's not accurate. Flop compared to what Sony themselves projected? Ah, there's the rub!

Of course they are going to be behind their product, but they were also making comparative judgments about their competition that were so far off the mark, it's pitiful. That's the arrogance. It exposed their lack of vision, especially when they desperately started to integrate, even half-assed, anything weird Nintendo did after that.

That tells you all you need to know about Sony in that time frame. Mediocrity on high.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I dont think anyone can call PSP a flop, I feel the main reason it did as poorly as it has is due to it 1) Focusing on the "hardcore" gamer 2) offering the same experience as what can be had at home. I own a PSP and havent touched it in 2 or 3 years due to myself not haveing much time to play games on the move and having a nice backlog of games on every other home console/PC. I know I am missing out big time, and I do own games, I just dont find the urge to play them. DS games offer games that are not replicated on home consoles.

On the other hand a reason Piracy is one of the reasons PSP is such a hit. Outside of Japan the tie in for software to hardware is like 2 titles per console sold(I believe I read in a reputable magazine/publication).
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Source?

And the Saturn also did REALLY well in Japan, that doesn't really say much now does it?
    It says it got better games there than it did here.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Do you have a link?
    http://www.examiner.com/xbox-360-in-...dered-reliable

EDIT here is another one

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/06/why-we-dont-ref/
    Last edited by Urzu402; 01-24-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

VGChartz released that Kinect sold less than 500,000 in the first week. When Microsoft releases the true figures they've sold a million. There are only three more days, but how did VGChartz miss by such a huge mark? Maybe because their sales figures are total bullshit until a legitimate website releases the real figures?

If it's a somewhat older released game when the real figures come up then it's safe to say they're correct or not far off. Don't expect their figures to be right until then though.

Source. http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/p...MillionPR.mspx. Here's another source that Microsoft sold eight million Kinect in 60 days. Pretty big number. http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2011...ts-in-60-days/
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-24-2011 at 02:38 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe they aren't measuring the same thing? There can be a big difference between units shipped and units sold.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't think so. This is coming from Microsoft.com where they specifically say units sold. Here's a quote specifically stating sales.

“We are appreciative of the response we have seen from consumers that has culminated in sales of more than 1 million units in the first 10 days on the market for Kinect for Xbox 360,”
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.