Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    That very well could be correct, but maybe I was just trying to break up that whore that I put down there, because I know that I am one...

And Kirby, anyone who's buying up anything other than something like Stadium Events thinking that they are going to help protect/control the investment price is just a fucking idiot.
    Kind of like the guy on Sonic Retro who said he bought like 51 copies of Final Fantasy 7 just because its his favorite game... hoarder.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I think you added an extra apostrophe in there, Stu.
    when i read Stu's post that was the first thing i thought of too... Oob beat me to it
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    You would be surprised, actually.

Although you make a valid point about the reasoning concerning why I should give it importance, there are scenarios, direct or indirect, that can cause potential harm to the collecting community, or just somehow affect it in general.

I've been on several boards, and I've met members who continue to purchase 2nd sets, or a subset of it (like a particular game), with the sole intention to either:

-Prohibit others from purchasing the game they were after, and/or

-Prohibit others from purchasing a game at a cheaper price than what they paid

Both instances basically sums it up as "protecting their investment". Problem is, on both instances, the price of the game raises, all because of the actions of one or more members. This, besides having economical issues, also convey availability issues.

True, this might seem like a far fetched scenario, but truth be told, there are people (many known to us from different sectors of the gaming community) who do indeed practice them. A shame really, but a true one, unfortunately.

Perhaps some collectors collect for the love they have for a particular console. Perhaps it's the thrill of the hunt...or an obsession for something that one collection cannot subdue. But it's quite vexing if the intention is a negative one, more towards causing harm than good.

True, to each his on. However, for me I admit, is quite alarming.
    I'm sorry, but your theory is ridiculous. With the exception of literally a handful of games, most of them not fun to play in any way, there are thousands and thousands of copies of most games out there. Yes, if someone buys two copies, you might not ever be able to own those two specific copies, but with a little bit of patience, literally every game pops up between Ebay, swap meets, thrifts, message boards, Craigslist, etc...This is the same whining people engage in to attack sealed collecting, CIB collecting (I've actually had lengthy arguments with other collectors at local meets about why anyone would collect a box, after all, you can't play a box as they claim), etc...The reality is, there will always be someone richer than you are, luckier than you are, with more storage space than you have, with more free time than you have to surf Ebay all day, etc...You need to just get over it and learn to appreciate and enjoy your collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    No doubt you'll get a ton of lengthy responses, but no matter what they are you'll be able to boil all of them down to two five-word phrases:

1) The thrill of the hunt.
    2) Different strokes for different folks.

Best explination about anything ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm sorry, but your theory is ridiculous. With the exception of literally a handful of games, most of them not fun to play in any way, there are thousands and thousands of copies of most games out there. Yes, if someone buys two copies, you might not ever be able to own those two specific copies, but with a little bit of patience, literally every game pops up between Ebay, swap meets, thrifts, message boards, Craigslist, etc...This is the same whining people engage in to attack sealed collecting, CIB collecting (I've actually had lengthy arguments with other collectors at local meets about why anyone would collect a box, after all, you can't play a box as they claim), etc...The reality is, there will always be someone richer than you are, luckier than you are, with more storage space than you have, with more free time than you have to surf Ebay all day, etc...You need to just get over it and learn to appreciate and enjoy your collection.
    As much as I want it to be a theory, it's actual fact. I state the examples because it's something I've already come across, mainly from forums that give particular emphasis on a single company or console.

The following is a quote taken from another message board, in which the member's name has been taken out for the sake of privacy:

As far as buying multiples of things you already own - I do it on occassion. I usually don't intend to simply keep it from other people. Though I will here and there on particular items. I typically just don't want anyone else to buy something for less than what I bought it at. If I paid $400 for a game, I'm certainly not going to allow the next guy to get it for $80.
    As you can see, part of what I state is my theory is not a theory at all, but something that has happened in the past, continues to happen, and will continue to happen. There is clearly some bad intent in the quote above, mainly towards the selfish side.

You might state that "it's his problem" and all, and you are right. However, in a different standpoint, it can be a very bad thing if the game is extremely hard to find. Like you stated above: most games are available in large quantities, but a handful of games are not. My focus are on these, the "rare" ones...and it becomes more and more rare when searching for a particular condition or state (like it being complete). The problem above makes things worse because if it wasn't for the person creating such bad intent, the game could have been purchased at a much affordable price. But because of ego and selfishness, this was not the case.

It's not so much the idea as it is the reason. Sure, they can be millionaires. They can have mansions as space to put up their stuff. They can be the luckiest in the world...but all these combined still don't actually gives a reason as to why they, the collectors in question, do this. And as you saw above, some do it for bad intent than the actual love of collecting.

If it's done because of the love for gaming, awesome! That's perfectly fine with me and it shows devotion and passion for the hobby. But when there is a more sinister side to it, that is when things are different.

And like you say, I should enjoy my collection...and I do! I don't have much space, but bah, I continue buying games! But it makes me think...those who's intentions are not positive...do they enjoy their collection? From the looks of it, they do not.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    I collect transformers star wars AND video games,(and tons of other crap) and I totally understand going for the second set, with transformers I completed my g1 set, and realized I was only a few away from a second set so I completed that,and am now working on a third set. its completely valid and I still enjoy collecting them regardless of how many of each figure i have, for my nes collection I am working on a boxed set (10 away) a loose set (2 away) and a sealed set (780ish away), like many have said, its more the hunt than the "I caught them all" mentality of it all.
    Id say action figure collecting is quite different from game collecting. I collect figures and will take multiples of specific figures any day, but as far as games go I just buy what I want to play, cause games are meant to be played, not looked at on a shelf.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I actually have 10 copies of one game (Wonder Project J2), and I'd never part with any of them. That, however, is only because they're in a manufacturer's box, and I want to preserve them in that state. Since they're Japanese, they're not sealed to begin with, so it's more or less like having 10 CIB copies (minus that they don't have their controller paks, and I have no idea if this batch was manufactured this way or if some store removed them).

I also have some second copies of games that I wouldn't part with because of each only having one file and/or the ability to link up.

So in some cases, there are more logical reasons to keep dupes around.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    I even have my own controller that no one can touch
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    II also have some second copies of games that I wouldn't part with because of each only having one file and/or the ability to link up.
    Same for both of these. I also don't allow anyone else to switch games when wanting to play something else. I switch games for them. With cartridge games, the only ones that I own that I have duplicates of is Final Fantasy due to one save file, and Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis because of the ability to link up. Not counting different versions of the same game on different consoles.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-05-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.