Thread: TV for retro gaming?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jordandavid View Post
    so does the name "Trinitron" automatically denote the HD version or could it still be either?

I'm just really interested because I'm still gaming on like a 23" magnavox with no A/V or S-Video input, just cable. I'm sick of it, and there are several Sony WEGAs on craigsllist in my area

Edited:

So the FD = non-HD, I'm seriously puzzled

And I'm assuming the 27" is also recommended because it is the most manageable size/weight while retaining a large crisp picture?
    I have the 27" because it's not too big and not too small. It's still heavy and awkward to move, but it's much easier than the larger sets. Mine is a Trinitron Wega. Trinitron refers to a technology used by Sony to produce a brighter picture. It doesn't have anything to do with HD. To my knowledge there is no 4:3 tube set that was ever made by Sony that is HD (above 480p that is). I could be wrong, but I've never heard of one. They did, of course, make several widescreen tube sets which I would not recommend using for playing older games.

In my opinion Sony produced some of the best tube TVs ever made in the late 90's and early 2000s. Mine is pushing 10 years old and has never had a single issue. Magnavox and Panasonic also made really great products around that time, but you're going to be hard-pressed to find one in the size/price range you're looking for.
    Last edited by Darko; 03-15-2011 at 12:36 PM.