Quote Originally Posted by daviderhart View Post
Jerry Lawson passed away Saturday morning (4/9/2011).
If anyone has pictures or stories that they would like to share at the memorial service, please contact me so I can include them.
My memory of Jerry was during the 2004 CGE in San Jose. Jerry gave a keynote speech, which, unfortunately, was sparsely attended (unlike the Steve Wozniak keynote in the same room where all seats were filled). I had the honor of introducing Jerry to the crowd and I had to help him up from his wheelchair to his seat on the stage. About five minutes into his talk, the fire alarm rang and we had to evacuate the building. I helped Jerry back down to his wheelchair and then waited with him until we could reenter. When he resumed his talk, there were less people in attendence then before the fire alarm, something that I was very upset about, but Jerry never said anything about it.

The same thing happened last year at CGE when I interviewed Ralph Baer via Skype....very few people came to see it.

Most gamers don't realize that it's very rare that you can meet and talk with living legends (how many of us would have loved to meet Thomas Edison?). In the videogame industry, we still have the opportunity. Ralph Baer is 89. Jerry wasn't nearly as old (I believe he was 71) but he has been in poor health for many years, and yet he still dedicated a lot of his time to our community. We should cherish these legends while we still have them.