Thread: Super Mario Bros Lost Levels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've yet to beat this game, but I've played through some of the higher levels. It seems to be alot harder if you try to play through slow. If you approach the game like a speed run challenge and just try to blaze through a stage non-stop, I find it to get a little easier. It just takes memorization and a heck of a lot of precision (and sometimes luck when facing Bowser: shooting fire, jumping, and throwing hammer crap while a rotating fireball thingie spins next to him).

Also, powerups are pretty much useless. In a couple castles with mushrooms, I found I was dying because of my height. What a bastard of a game, punishing you for trying to gain an advantage!

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been able to finish this game a few times too. It's pretty hard but not impossible it just takes patience. I really like this game though.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love this game..

When I first got it..It took me 43 tries on W4-4 even with Luigi, My highest was W8-3

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

lots of vulgarities were spewn from that game.

I brought my copy over to a friends house back in the day, i'd usualy sleep over every weekend after school, one weekend we were working on 8-4 (ok I was, he was watching) and his older sister sat down and watched us for awhile, she had commented on how impossible the level seemed to be, she eventually left for work. shortly after we gave up and left to go do something else.

next weekend came around and I was once again there, and we started again to try to beat the level, and his sister happened to come back in the room and commented "seriously is that the same level?" yup!, she stayed for a bit and we finally (we again being me) were able to beat the level, she seemed even happier than we were that the level was finally under our belts. ended up beating the last 4 worlds with very little trouble, but god--damm that 8-4 was brutal.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone knows about this right:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info...products_id=93

This version is better than all the other repros out there, you can select a level at the start, and the wind actually blows like the FDS version, thought i wouldn't assume everone knew about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beat the SNES version, well I mean I got past Level 9-4, a little while ago. Didn't really give me too much trouble. In fact, I ended up giving up while playing Super Mario Bros. 3 for it being too hard! I think the SNES verison is just a lot easier since you have unlimited continues from the start of each level instead of each world like the other games on All Stars.

I'm guessing this was not part of the original Famicom Disk System version though, which probably makes it a lot tougher.
    I have a sig?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I beat it many times all the way through, including all of the bonus levels, on All-Stars as a kid. In fact, while it was challenging for me, I never knew it had a reputation for being a ridiculously hard game. I wonder if the Lost Levels shaped me as a gamer because All-Stars was the very first game that I personally owned. I'm not even sure if I beat any games prior to the ones on All-Stars.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheRollingStoner's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdheins View Post
    Everyone knows about this right:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info...products_id=93

This version is better than all the other repros out there, you can select a level at the start, and the wind actually blows like the FDS version, thought i wouldn't assume everone knew about this.
    I have that version, and it is sweet. I'm so glad they put the level select in there. I've beaten most of world 1-8, but not so much of the extra levels. This game plays on your familiarity with SMB and issues you a real challenge.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Twin Paradox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

I beat the SNES version of "lost levels" a few years back. I had been drinking bourbon all night and it apparently allowed me to transcend space and time. It was quite a grueling experience, nonetheless. The wind levels were so aggravating! I can't even begin to describe how happy I was when I finally beat it. Now I just have to beat Ghosts 'n Goblins for NES, lol.
    It's official, my snes cart only collection is complete! The collection includes both competition carts, ISS, ISSD, EMBR/SR and Super Noah's Ark 3D.

Please check out my video game cover music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did it years ago on the SNES version. However, I took major advantage of the saving capabilities of the cartridge, and I'm sure I must have had a hundred or so continues before finally beating it.

And it has to be among the least fulfilling game endings ever.