Thread: Collecting game variations

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Collecting game variations

Hello everyone. Now that I am employed again after being out of work for a while, I am finally ready to get serious about building my collection. I have a question I'm hoping to pick your brain's about. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go after collecting any game variations for each game. Original release vs. greatest hits, NES 3-screw vs. 5-screw, etc.? The OCD in me wants to get them all. But the practical in me thnks that having 2 or 3 copies of the same game is a waste. What do you guys think? What are your personal preferences?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Naaa forget that crap. Just get the original or one that closely resembles the original (like an arcade compilation or something).

I have every Metroid release. But I don't think the re-releases are worth buying. Like the Metroid Trilogy... naaa.. why - already have the three. Or Metroid NES on the Gameboy Color. No need. Only if you are a true completist does it matter, and I'm not. I just want to play the game.

Then there are the games on the compilation CD's. The Midway compilations are a good example. Sure why not own the Arcade version of Mortal Kombat 2 instead of the SNES version. I only need one, and the best one is good enough for me, or whichever one I prefer to play.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only collect the original versions, I don't bother with the greatest hits or whatever releases, i.e. black label only.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I only go for color variations i.e. zelda gold carts and gray carts things like the 3 screw/5 screw and greatest hits I don't worry about.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I just go for whatever variation I find first and can find cheaper. I'll go back and nitpick about variations once I have collected the games I want in my collection.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Do it only if you REALLY REALLY care about that system. Do you need 10 TR 2 variants for your collection to be complete? For almost everyone that answer is no.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Save variants for the most interesting cases. Like maybe games you love enough to want a console and portable version. Or localization changes to the degree where different region copies each have appeal. Remakes with their own merits I suppose count too.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I just go for whatever variation I find first and can find cheaper. I'll go back and nitpick about variations once I have collected the games I want in my collection.
    Bingo, this is how I collect. For some games, just finding ONE version will be a challenge
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Going after only the original releases was the way that I was leaning. Thanks for the advice!! Time to go hunting!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't see much point, really. If the decision to is something you solicit advice about, then it's probably not that big a deal. And if it's not that big a deal, you might as well sink that money you would put into variants into more diverse games for your collection. Save variants for things you happen upon by chance and then just decide if it's worth it per game.

I only have a few (mostly Working Designs games) that I didn't actually hunt down. I'm pretty sure that they were were lot acquisitions which I kept when I noticed that they were different from copies that I already had (different covers and different disc art).

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I mostly don't bother with variants, but there's a few I wouldn't mind getting like the first version of Revenge of Shinobi or Michael Jackson's Moonwalker which have some noticeable differences compared to the later releases. It really depends on what I'll come across in person, if it's something interesting and cheap I'll keep it. I won't really go out of my way for minor packaging differences or disc art variants.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The only time I did that was with Metroid for the NES. I just like the yellow cover better so I grabbed it when I saw one cheap on ebay, with another game (Baseball, I think) included.
    And I also got the Famicom Mini version, but that was for the different sound (it has also has the save feature, but that doesn't matter as much since the Zero Mission version remembers your last password).

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Across a few different systems, I own Super Mario Bros. about 7 times over. Then again, I'm a fan of the series. That's what should matter. If you consider yourself a fan of a certain title, it might be worthwhile to grab variations for the same system. Otherwise, just grab whatever variation you like. I don't care whether I have the Player's Choice version of some boring GameCube sports game, but put one of my favorite games of all time into the picture and I prefer to have variants.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Noooo comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only variants I collect are the ones from Working Designs since they did such an awesome job in the packaging for those games. Even though I own 7 copies of Lunar:The Silver Star for SegaCD, they all look great

Most other stuff, not so much though unless I just happen across it in a lot that I've picked up.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The only variants I collect are the ones from Working Designs since they did such an awesome job in the packaging for those games. Even though I own 7 copies of Lunar:The Silver Star for SegaCD, they all look great
    I also own all 7 of the Lunar: TSS variants and agree that they are really nice
    I would go for variants that really have some sort of substantial difference (i.e. - different artwork, extra content, etc.) rather than something like the original release and a greatest hits version of it. I also would agree with going for certain games and/or systems that you really care for..
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I choose one of the variants of a game and only get that one. For example, I may look for a particular Nintendo seal of quality, or a 3-screw, but I won't bother getting the other variants of the seal or the 5-screw.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZ98 View Post
    Hello everyone. Now that I am employed again after being out of work for a while, I am finally ready to get serious about building my collection.
    maybe u shoudl get serious about saving money for when you lose job again?