Thread: Latest EGM article sparks question: buy new or used?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I always buy used off E-bay. If the gaming industry was about to collapse financially, I'd start buying new. Last time I checked, they were doing just fine.
    I pretty much agree with this take, but I would buy more off Craigslist locally. I've been buying my own video games since 1989, so, I've pretty much payed my dues in terms of buying brand new games with great regularity. I was one of those guys that would buy 2 brand new games a month (if not more) at full price, and never thought twice about it. Over all those years, I've spent literally thousands and thousands of dollars on this industry.

At a certain point, during this 360/PS3 generation, my backlog stack started piling so high that I decided to change my purchasing habits. I'm now the type of gamer that is basically 2 years behind everybody else. Right now, I'm playing games from 2008 and 2009, or even a couple from 2007. So many great games that I haven't yet seen the credits roll on. So, I'm willing to stay a few years behind everybody else, and the beautiful thing about that, is being able to buy amazing games for like $8 or $9 or $7, etc, etc.

I no longer buy used games, but it's not by choice. I recently built a gaming PC, and after spending a cool grand on that, I'm only playing my games on PC. In PC-land, it's pretty hard to buy used games. The DRM on every particular game is so confusing, that if you're buying it used, you're taking a HUGE risk that the game might not work on your PC at all, because it was linked to somebodies Steam account or whatever. The transfer of rights on PC games is so sketchy, that buying used games is like throwing your money in the wind, and hoping it blows back into your hand.

The other part of it, is that for my style of gaming (staying 2 or even 3 years behind the latest), I'm able to buy the PC versions of many games brand new, for the same price I'd be getting the 360 version on Craigslist. Sometimes even cheaper than I'd be getting the used version. I recently got Price of Persia (2008), brand new, factory sealed for $4 shipped. I got Red Faction Guerrilla for $5 and Just Cause 2 for $5 (Steam)
    Last edited by WCP; 06-14-2011 at 12:53 AM.