Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad Film or Show, Good Game

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

As for Maniac Mansion, the show was based on the game so it really shouldn't count. It's like saying the Super Mario Bros game is better than the movie, that doesn't count either as the game came first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    As for Maniac Mansion, the show was based on the game so it really shouldn't count. It's like saying the Super Mario Bros game is better than the movie, that doesn't count either as the game came first.
    I see what you're saying. So it has to be movie then game. Sorry about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j1e View Post
    I'm gonna go with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I love playing that game a few times a year and beating it. The movie; went to the theatre back in the day to see that shit and was bored stiff.
    That game rocked! Almost as much as the movie sucked. I need to find it and finally beat it, when I originally played it it was a rental and I didn't get to the end. I think I own it now but I'll have to drag it out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crackdealer clawx View Post
    Either way, everyone knows that Duck Tales was the best.
    I love Duck Tales, but from what I read of them, the Scrooge McDuck comics they are loosely based on are better. I find it interesting that the palette of Scrooge in the NES games looks more like comics than the cartoon. The Beagle Boys look more like the comic versions, as well.

I wasn't a huge fan of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, but I love the Atari Games arcade game.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Animaniacs was one of the last Warner Bros. cartoons that adults could actually sit down and enjoy with their children. It stayed true to the classic Looney Tunes cartoons, where it wasn't painfully dumbed down for the sake of the kids and had a lot of suggestive moments that would fly right over their heads. The only other one after that was Freakazoid, which got canceled by the WB network because it didn't bring in the younger viewer ratings, yet did well with older audiences.
    Uhhh... yeah.

Suffice to say, I disagree with this, a lot. Honestly, I can't understand all the love and worship Looney Tunes gets, and I don't see how bringing that style of complete pointlessness and humor that wasn't that funny in the first place into the 1990s was supposed to be a good thing. If anything, it caused cartoons to go into retrograde--whereas formerly they were starting to be used as an avenue for adult drama (see Transformers: The Movie) all the sudden they're nothing but slapstick again, thanks to how popular Animaniacs and shows like it were.

Spawned a pretty good SNES game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Uhhh... yeah.

Suffice to say, I disagree with this, a lot. Honestly, I can't understand all the love and worship Looney Tunes gets, and I don't see how bringing that style of complete pointlessness and humor that wasn't that funny in the first place into the 1990s was supposed to be a good thing. If anything, it caused cartoons to go into retrograde--whereas formerly they were starting to be used as an avenue for adult drama (see Transformers: The Movie) all the sudden they're nothing but slapstick again, thanks to how popular Animaniacs and shows like it were.

It's true. There really are two kinds of kid in this world.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I don't consider Krull to be a terrible film, there are some that would lump it in with other dated action/fantasy epics of the early 80s and say not very nice things about it.

My opinion of the film aside, I love the Gottlieb Arcade game (especially its bassy sound effects and music) and I've certainly spent more time playing that than I have watching the movie.

The 2600 game isn't too bad either.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever for GBA. Unolike the film, the GBA game is excellent. Seriously. Go check it out. It's probably the most advanced FPS attempted on the system, second only to Ice Nine.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

on games based on liscenced properties: i loved the tiny toons game on the snes and that show was hella funny, animinacs is still funny beyond reason just cause. pokemon red/blue was my first real rpg outing, now the show went south in terms of story. the lion king is a mostly solid movie if youre 6,7 or 8 and the game now is piss poor. darkman was a pure blast when i seen the movie, but the game is hard but addictive. robocop was one of the most badass movies i seen in my life but i hate the arcade and nes games were pure hell. waynes world was very funny not so with the games. dragonball z is one of the greats with anime and its the same with the fighting games. ghost in the shell is an another golden standard in anime, but the game on ps1 was somewhat good. star wars is one solid film franchise and churn out some good games too. never seen men in black ii but the game was the worst i ever played.
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Uhhh... yeah.

I thought Transformers: The Movie actually did that on it's own, as the tykes didn't take to well to having a certain faction leader being offed (which led to the alteration of the G.I.Joe movie - to avoid similar reactions). Plus season 3 wasn't as popular even though it had more serious stories, considering the era and audience it was being aimed at.

TaleSpin and Darkwing Duck used slapstick but there were some rare serious moments, some of which I doubt would ever be aired on children's tv again (the Air Pirates attack on Cape Suzette where they were blowing up skyscraper tops with debris raining down on a panicked populace or Taurus Bulba clutching Darkwing, to take him out with him, as the top of the St.Canard skyscraper exploded.) Transformers R.i.D. had an episode censored (or rather unaired) because one of the Decepticon's was shown blowing up an airport and other locations from space.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS