Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Could Nintendo's next home console entice the early adopters/graphic whores?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post

The analog sticks on a N64, GCN, or Wii controller most certainly tilt just like the analog sticks on a Xbox or Playstation controller do and aren't very different beyond some styling differences.
    Ok, they might tilt the same way, but you must admit that they are much smaller than the full-sized thumbsticks on a dualshock controller or a Xbox controller. Also, if you were playing either Call of Duty or Halo or Killzone or whatever, you're not going to get the precise movement of your camera like you do with the DualShock or Xbox thumbsticks. The N64 probably was the closest one to being almost like a full sized thumbstick, just about 33 percent smaller, but if I had a controller that had two of the N64's thumbstick, and I was trying to competitively play a Modern Warfare game with that, I'd get worked over really quickly.

For simple action type games, a thumbstick like that is fine, but for really precise control, you simply need a bigger thumbstick, unless you have hands the size of a newborn. I'm not a huge first person shooter guy, so this isn't that huge a concern for me, but if there was somebody out there that was hoping that maybe the Wii U could be the one and only system they own, I hope they aren't really into online shooters, because they might be in for a serious disappointment after using the small thumbsticks.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Also, if you were playing either Call of Duty or Halo or Killzone or whatever, you're not going to get the precise movement of your camera like you do with the DualShock or Xbox thumbsticks.
    Good thing no one, at this point, has to worry about playing Halo or Killzone on a Nintendo home console.

For simple action type games, a thumbstick like that is fine, but for really precise control, you simply need a bigger thumbstick...
    Or the Wii-remote/nunchuck combo that is so key/mouse like, it hurts, but in a good way. Key/Mouse > Wii-remote/Nun > Dual Analog That's not even considering how the screen controller will work with FPS. The one thing that sucks with the remote/chuck deal is sniping... The screen controller is like a sniper rifle scope IRL.
    Also:

Combo! Dual analogs plus more!

The control was pretty good in some Wii FPS games. The online infrastructure and graphics scale was what hampered the genre on the platform (PC heavy genre - hard to scale down that far). Besides, the genre needed some serious hampering. There's so much brown-down mediocre crap it's sickening.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-19-2011 at 04:01 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally got caught up on all the E3 news/Wii-U minutiae and wanted to touch on a few points:

-The controller itself seems way too fragile to leave on a coffee table or floor, especially with my five-year-old son and soon to be born daughter running around.
    - Disappointed with lack of real hard drive. I was hoping with Nintendo possibly showing more of an interest with an online marketplace users would be able to download both virtual console games and larger budget downloadable titles akin to back to the future
    -The name doesn't bother me, these things are ultimately toys
    -People who buy this who did not own a wii will now have to buy wii-motes and accessories. I was hoping for a generic ps2/snes-type controller. Ah well.
    -The controller itself will keep the price high on this one. I can see it being 300 or more.

I more or less sat out on modern gaming from 2005-2009 and the wii is the only console I own. I hope Nintendo can push more 1st and 3rd party software than the wii has given us so far, and rely less on gimmicks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by calgon View Post
    The controller itself seems way too fragile to leave on a coffee table or floor, especially with my five-year-old son and soon to be born daughter running around.
    How'd you arrive at that conclusion? Because of the screen?

Disappointed with lack of real hard drive. I was hoping with Nintendo possibly showing more of an interest with an online marketplace users would be able to download both virtual console games and larger budget downloadable titles akin to back to the future.
    I'm not sure the lack of a hard drive has actually been confirmed yet. And even if it's not, there's no reason the things you're hoping for couldn't happen. The thing is rumored to have 8 gigs of flash memory, 4 USB ports (With that many, I have to believe they intend for users to be able to attach an external hard drive to at least one of them), and a SD card slot.

People who buy this who did not own a wii will now have to buy wii-motes and accessories. I was hoping for a generic ps2/snes-type controller.
    I imagine the thing will ship with a Wiimote and a nunchuck for typical motion gaming (The WiiU gamepad/touch screen has some motion capabilities, but clearly it isn't suitable for most motion gaming and Nintendo certainly isn't about to abandon that style of gameplay now by not including the necessary controllers out of the box).

And what's the problem for multiplayer gaming? You'd have to buy some sort of controller anyways for each additional player, whether it was your gamepad idea or existing controllers. This way, at least a portion of the buyers of this device will be able to save money by reusing their current controllers.

Seems like a good deal to me.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-28-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

-People who buy this who did not own a wii will now have to buy wii-motes and accessories. I was hoping for a generic ps2/snes-type controller. Ah well.
    -The controller itself will keep the price high on this one. I can see it being 300 or more.
    While it certainly can use Wiimotes or any Wii hardware, you can take it to the bank that they will use their own wands which have far superior motion sensing technology. No way it will use the last generation's hardware as its standard. This is a very early prototype that may be as much as 17 months away from release. They rushed to get the display controller to the public, and ignored the other stuff. Just look at the system and it's plainness. It looks like a friggin' portable CD player. No way it looks like that in the end. I'd also bet on the tablet to have wi-fi and have full internet features like the iPad and Xoom, and possibly its own SD slot.

As for it being $300 or more, well so be it. That's half the price of the 2005 PS3, even less considering inflation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    you can take it to the bank that they will use their own wands which have far superior motion sensing technology. No way it will use the last generation's hardware as its standard..
    Don't underestimate Nintendo's ability to under-deliver when it comes to new hardware. They have been behind the curve for 2 generations now. The N64 is the last Nintendo system that really went after high-end technology. Since the N64, Nintendo has decided to go with a strategy of "just barely enough", when it comes to their hardware technology. They love "just barely enough", combined with an exciting new gimmick. The new Wii U controller with the screen is obviously going to be their focus, so I wouldn't necessarily bank on them having a more advanced Wii-mote that is beyond the motion plus.

I hope I'm wrong on this one, cause they should try to have a wand that is even more accurate than a Playstation move, and they should definitely have a wireless nunchuk this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oops.
    Last edited by WCP; 06-21-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought the system they showed off looked pretty attractive. It's a nice refinement of the current Wii.

And I don't see a need to advance upon their Motion Plus technology and I really don't see developers coding their games to support two different kinds of technology. So my money is on the WiiU branded Wiimotes and nunchucks being basically what we have now with Motion Plus built in.

And there's no way they're going to load up this controller with things like a lot of memory, a decent processor, etc. It's a controller with a screen designed to stream what the system sends to it, it's not a handheld system on it's own.

The things you're asking for are what something like the 3DS is for.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-21-2011 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Don't underestimate Nintendo's ability to under-deliver when it comes to new hardware. They have been behind the curve for 2 generations now. The N64 is the last Nintendo system that really went after high-end technology. Since the N64, Nintendo has decided to go with a strategy of "just barely enough", when it comes to their hardware technology. They love "just barely enough", combined with an exciting new gimmick. The new Wii U controller with the screen is obviously going to be their focus, so I wouldn't necessarily bank on them having a more advanced Wii-mote that is beyond the motion plus.

I hope I'm wrong on this one, cause they should try to have a wand that is even more accurate than a Playstation move, and they should definitely have a wireless nunchuk this time.
    That's incorrect, the Gamecube wasn't behind in the least. It was more advanced than the PS2, and games like Resident Evil 4 really show the difference between the better hardware.

As for the wand, only time will tell. I'm betting on a better one, but we'll see. In all honesty, I wouldn't doubt it if they scrap the Wii U name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I thought the system they showed off looked pretty attractive. It's a nice refinement of the current Wii.

And I don't see a need to advance upon their Motion Plus technology and I really don't see developers coding their games to support two different kinds of technology. So my money is on the WiiU branded Wiimotes and nunchucks being basically what we have now with Motion Plus built in.

And there's no way they're going to load up this controller with things like a lot of memory, a decent processor, etc. It's a controller with a screen designed to stream what the system sends to it, it's not a handheld system on it's own.

The things you're asking for are what something like the 3DS is for.
    I'm not asking for a system like the 3DS, I'm asking for a tablet like the iPAD/Xoom/Galaxy. Maybe a little less advanced, but something that at least has wi-fi and can access the internet and e-mail.

Well, it's my prediction anyway, none of us are right or wrong, we'll see what happens. I say yes to an iPod-type tablet, yes to new and better wands, yes to a better looking system, and I'm 50/50 on it not even being called the Wii U. Here's what I think the system should look like, although smaller:

Ahh, Nintendo needs to hire me for some ideas...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tablets are hot and just look at the Chromebooks coming out next month... A computer where a browser is the OS and multi-tasking is done in tabbed browsing. All SSD/Flash based storage -- Nintendo is aware. They might have to make changes or redirect a bit, but there are many new possibilities to pursue with the tablet-thing with motion/touch plus the traditional controls. They're meticulous hardware crafters, with one total failure to their name. That said, a charge of under-delivering IS underestimating in itself.

From what we've been given up to, the Wii U is like a local mini-Cloud Computer. The mobile internet device market is very saturated. Nintendo missed their window there. This could be their foot-in-the-door before a future in the mobile market might be shut to them completely. If you think it's silly, then you're not paying attention. Judge after they've revealed their hand completely. Until then, it's fun to speculate here and there.

@Zap: Thanks for the idea to make a PS2 slim look like an NES. I like it.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-21-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo has already said that the WiiU's controller will have less of an operating range than a Wiimote and that it won't be functional without the console. So if that post I was replying to was a prediction, which it certainly read as to me at the time, there is very much a right and a wrong here. They've already told us that isn't happening. It's a controller with a touch screen that can display what the system streams to it and is useless without being in close range of the console. Nothing wrong with wishing that would happen though, but there is reliable information that says it won't.

And while it's just our opinions here so you're certainly not wrong to prefer a different look, I really think what they showed is vastly superior looking to those mockups. I really don't see them deviating from what they showed too much. It's a sleeker, curvier version of the current Wii that is attractive and compact. I don't see why they won't stick with it or would even be showing off a complete placeholder for the exterior design of their console.

Sure beats a console that looks like it was made out of Lego's (Just teasing, but there are areas of that mockup with the square lines, complete lack of curves, and that extremely thick USB/SD slot door that gives it that feeling).

We'll have to remember this thread next year and revisit it once we have finalized information about this system and see how things panned out.

That's incorrect, the Gamecube wasn't behind in the least. It was more advanced than the PS2, and games like Resident Evil 4 really show the difference between the better hardware.
    The GameCube hardware was profitable from day 1, unlike the Xbox, and also wasn't as technically advanced as the Xbox. That's what I think he was referring to since it didn't push the envelope quite as much as the Xbox did. It was behind a bit hardware wise (Although it was significantly more powerful than the DC and PS2), but I really don't see how that equates to Nintendo having "under delivered" from a hardware standpoint.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-21-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I meant by Wii U being a step/stop-gap into mobile computing is the cloud-like access aspect that was eluded to but not put out matter of fact. With a 3DS and Wi-Fi one could potentially access your Wii U console content from anywhere or access a 3DS from the Wii U. Imagine Nintendo with internet connectivity of home console and portable, and not just for games... LIVE on Windows Mobile is pretty weak from what I gather. This could be a huge deal for them in that sphere and might put them over the LIVE industry standard.

Whether or not they want to do a full on mobile version of the new controller Tablet-thing or not would first rely heavily on Wii U acceptance at market. And that's even if they are thinking about that at all. Call it a proof of concept, which seems to be inline with what they've done in gaming since the NES launched. I'm thinking they're headed in the right direction myself, but poor execution could still screw it. If the concept is received dead-in-the-water or is fundamentally broken, well... *coughROBcough*
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-21-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo has already said that the WiiU's controller will have less of an operating range than a Wiimote
    Where did you read that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Where did you read that?
    Second hand at a E3 thread at this site or AVS, supposedly from a Nintendo representative. I'll see it I can dig up a source for you.

Edit - Looks like what I read was from Anthony1 (A once familiar face around here before being banned) at the AVS forums. No source was provided and a Google search doesn't bring up anything relevant.

Here is an interview that was widely circulated that discusses the range of the controller (And also prefaces it by mentioning how the controller is tied to the console and can't be taken everywhere and used, a fact that has been widely circulated online). And while they don't state a concrete number for the range or compare it with the current Wiimote, it's certainly safe to infer from this interview that the range is somewhat limited.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine....troller-range/

And a quote from a Nintendo executive about the controller that might be of interest.

"The thought is you'll be playing in the same room that the base console is in." - Nintendo's Katsuya Eguchi

http://kotaku.com/5811558/nintendo-d...o-the-bathroom
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-22-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm not asking for a system like the 3DS, I'm asking for a tablet like the iPAD/Xoom/Galaxy. Maybe a little less advanced, but something that at least has wi-fi and can access the internet and e-mail.

Well, it's my prediction anyway, none of us are right or wrong, we'll see what happens. I say yes to an iPod-type tablet, yes to new and better wands, yes to a better looking system, and I'm 50/50 on it not even being called the Wii U. Here's what I think the system should look like, although smaller:

Ahh, Nintendo needs to hire me for some ideas...
    Sure, if they're looking to go into bankruptcy. While Nintendo hasn't finalized everything yet, they have already provided developers with comprehensive information about the system itself, controllers and the screen, as well as development tools. They aren't going to deviate from those basics in any significant way. They aren't making a tablet and no amount of hoping is going to change that. There won't be new and better wands, at least not now. A few years after launch like they did with Wiimote plus? Maybe. They also aren't likely to change the name considering all the marketing they have done since E3. For better or for worse, what was shown at E3 is largely what we are going to get and no amount of Internet speculating or argument is going to change that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not asking for a system like the 3DS, I'm asking for a tablet like the iPAD/Xoom/Galaxy.
    You can ask that Nintendo's new controller have all the functionality of an iPad, Xoom, or Galaxy Tab, or you can just go to the store and buy an actual iPad, Xoom, or Galaxy Tab. They're available now...no waiting, hoping, or asking required.

That's like saying, "I hope Sony's new PlayStation Vita is like an Ipod Touch." Then why not just go to the store and buy an iPod Touch right now??
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-22-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Second hand at a E3 thread at this site or AVS, supposedly from a Nintendo representative. I'll see it I can dig up a source for you.

Edit - Looks like what I read was from Anthony1 (A once familiar face around here before being banned) at the AVS forums. No source was provided and a Google search doesn't bring up anything relevant.

Here is an interview that was widely circulated that discusses the range of the controller (And also prefaces it by mentioning how the controller is tied to the console and can't be taken everywhere and used, a fact that has been widely circulated online). And while they don't state a concrete number for the range or compare it with the current Wiimote, it's certainly safe to infer from this interview that the range is somewhat limited.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine....troller-range/

And a quote from a Nintendo executive about the controller that might be of interest.

"The thought is you'll be playing in the same room that the base console is in." - Nintendo's Katsuya Eguchi

http://kotaku.com/5811558/nintendo-d...o-the-bathroom

I did hear that the range is limited, but I never heard it had a shorter range than a Wii-mote, because wii-motes don't have a very long range as it is, so if it was worse than that, that would be pretty lame. I think I heard somebody saying something about a Developers Roundtable, where someone asked Miyamoto how far you can take it around your house, and he said something along the lines of "depends on how big your house is". Still, I would hope that if your Kitchen is maybe 20 feet away from the living room where your TV is, that you might be able to use it that far away, or something like that.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Maybe if enough people are voicing a concern about the range, Nintendo will try to beef up it's range a bit, although it may be a bit late for that at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post

That's like saying, "I hope Sony's new PlayStation Vita is like an Ipod Touch." Then why not just go to the store and buy an iPod Touch right now??
    I bet he would go buy one if the iPod Touch had dual thumbsticks and some buttons. I know I would. The only thing that keeps me away from the iPod and iPad are the lack of "real" controls.
    Last edited by WCP; 06-22-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Nintendo has already said that the WiiU's controller will have less of an operating range than a Wiimote and that it won't be functional without the console. So if that post I was replying to was a prediction, which it certainly read as to me at the time, there is very much a right and a wrong here. They've already told us that isn't happening. It's a controller with a touch screen that can display what the system streams to it and is useless without being in close range of the console. Nothing wrong with wishing that would happen though, but there is reliable information that says it won't.
    You are right, but there is room for reading between the lines. True, Nintendo has said it will only stream/play games within use of the console. But they didn't say what else it could do. It could theoretically stream only for 15 feet or so, but also have its own wi-fi for non-Wii U uses, such as browser control and the like. Here's to hoping it has its own SD card function, too.

And while it's just our opinions here so you're certainly not wrong to prefer a different look, I really think what they showed is vastly superior looking to those mockups. I really don't see them deviating from what they showed too much. It's a sleeker, curvier version of the current Wii that is attractive and compact. I don't see why they won't stick with it or would even be showing off a complete placeholder for the exterior design of their console.

Sure beats a console that looks like it was made out of Lego's (Just teasing, but there are areas of that mockup with the square lines, complete lack of curves, and that extremely thick USB/SD slot door that gives it that feeling).
    How about making us both happy? Keep the current shape, but make it look like a NES? Fair?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Sure, if they're looking to go into bankruptcy. While Nintendo hasn't finalized everything yet, they have already provided developers with comprehensive information about the system itself, controllers and the screen, as well as development tools. They aren't going to deviate from those basics in any significant way. They aren't making a tablet and no amount of hoping is going to change that. There won't be new and better wands, at least not now. A few years after launch like they did with Wiimote plus? Maybe. They also aren't likely to change the name considering all the marketing they have done since E3. For better or for worse, what was shown at E3 is largely what we are going to get and no amount of Internet speculating or argument is going to change that.
    I doubt a lot of that statement, except that the console specs will remain laregly the same. Everything I disagree with. There will be a better wand, and it will likely be smaller and more efficient than the PS3 wand. What came out for Wii is just that, this system has nothing to do with Wii except for the name, which I pray changes too. They changed the Ultra 64 and Revolution names fairly close to launch. We are likely 17 months away from release. Hope it's sooner, but I'm going with a launch in 11-12.