Thread: Your favorite Humble Bundle 2/3 game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your favorite Humble Bundle 2/3 game?

I am just amazed at this bundle. I've gotten SEVERAL hours of game time into all the different games, and still have several left. I cannot express in words how great this bundle is!!

What is your favorite game in the bundle?

Personally, I've REALLY been enjoying Revenge of the Titans. Some honorable mentions include Crayon Physics, And Yet it Moves, Braid, VVVVVV, Machinarium, and Steel Storm. So many good games!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

In case you didn't know, they just added Atom Zombie Smasher to it. Just go to your download page, and it'll be there. It also automatically shows up in Steam, if you used the Humble Bundle Steam key.

I already had Braid, Osmos, and VVVVVV, and I think those are the three best games in the bundle. Hammerfight was a disappointment, as I'd expected something good, but the controls are impossible. Steel Storm is decent, Revenge of the Titans is very good, and Atom Zombie Smasher is a bit fun. I also like Machinarium, but I'm guessing that one is an acquired taste.

Cortex Command, though, has no business being in this bundle. I'd wondered why it was the only game not on Steam, and finding out that it's unfinished (and unlikely to ever be finished, by what I can see on the developer's website) answered that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do rather love VVVVVV...
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the idea for hammerfight is great. The graphics are good. But it falls short in the control department. I thought it was just me that thought that. Maybe having a high dpi mouse would help alot. I just can't seem to get the swing right on it. Cosmos is indeed a good game and one that I got into a little more today. Its very mesmerizing and has a great and simple concept.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Yeah the idea for hammerfight is great. The graphics are good. But it falls short in the control department.
    I'd like to add this was my opinion of Hammerfight at first. My ship was controlling like a tank! For some reason the game set the dpi (the game tests your mouse dpi when you first start it up) too high and that makes the game control awfully, and later in the game with controls like this it gets downright impossible (by "later" I mean level 3 or 4...). I went to the options menu and set the dpi to a bit less than half of what the game put it and it cleared up all of my control issues. The change made my ship control much faster and easier, so instead of slowly lurching my ship towards an enemy in hopes of hitting it my ship moves fast and properly around the battlefield and it allows me to pick up proper momentum to get in accurate hits. It made the game 100x more playable and enjoyable. I'm just using a normal run-of-the-mill laser mouse btw. The funny thing is that after the change I've ended up really liking this game, and it's one of my favorites in the collection.

I've played most of the games on the bundle and my least favorite was And Yet It Moves, for it's dizziness inducing atmosphere (If you've played this game for any amount of time you know what I'm talking about). But, it does have pretty great graphics and interesting physics, so I'll have to give it another chance a bit later. I don't think there's really a bad game in the grouping though.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 08-09-2011 at 02:47 AM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Sooo I tried the minecraft trial..

I was sucked in, played all night, had a dream about solutions to problems in minecraft, got up and have been playing it since. This is seriously like gamer crack for me at least.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Sooo I tried the minecraft trial..

I was sucked in, played all night, had a dream about solutions to problems in minecraft, got up and have been playing it since. This is seriously like gamer crack for me at least.
    See, I guess I just don't get Minecraft. That doesn't seem like any kind of fun to me. I almost got sucked into Terraria, but without any type of objective to gain besides mining for more material, building weaponry and items, and digging deeper into the earth, I quickly lost interest. I'm not knocking those who do enjoy these types of games at all. I'm just always interested to see when another person says that they are instantly hooked to it.

As for the original question, I'd have to say my favorites are Braid, VVVVVV, Machinarium and Osmos. I think I'd like Atom Zombie Smasher more if it wasn't a tower defense game.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    See, I guess I just don't get Minecraft. That doesn't seem like any kind of fun to me. I almost got sucked into Terraria, but without any type of objective to gain besides mining for more material, building weaponry and items, and digging deeper into the earth, I quickly lost interest. I'm not knocking those who do enjoy these types of games at all. I'm just always interested to see when another person says that they are instantly hooked to it.
    I really enjoy problem solving in the game, I think thats what keeps sucking me in for hours and hours. I usually don't need motivation in sandbox games outside of seeing what I can get away with in the game world, I suppose I just make my own motivations as I'm playing through the game.

For instance:

• Get tired of the Creepers and other Nasties
    • See an Island next to a wood/mineral rich area
    • Decide to make that spot my new underground "home"
    • Use a series of high walls to direct current on the (very close) offshore island to one point
    • Find materials, build walls
    • Test it (It works! great trap for animals as well)
    • Mine on island of materials
    • Devise series of hook-like "traps" to catch those who avoid the high wall/fast current trap
    • Drop Underground "home" concept, too vunerable
    • Devise way to make tower home
    • etc. etc.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I skipped HB3, because I still haven't played half of the games in HB1-2 yet. I will say that Osmose is creative and interesting. It's like a more zen version of Katamari...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    I enjoy Terraria because it feels like an oldschool 2D adventure game. It's not because of the mining aspect - that's actually a pain in the ass for me because it's a pain in the ass to do stuff BECAUSE THERE'S NO MAP IN THE GAME. I get lost easily.

I was enjoying the game a lot and now the dev made it much harder by limiting health items to one every 60 seconds, they added unkillable monsters, the lava physics are much more annoying, and other stuff. So yeah. Sucks.

On topic, I enjoyed VVVVVV, and Braid, but I haven't really tried the other games. I didn't like Atom Zombie Smasher's demo that much when it was on sale, but since I got it for free, meh.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 08-11-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've only really had time to play Crayon Physics Deluxe, which sucked away 45 minutes of my time one night without me knowing it. So that game thus far is the favorite.