Thread: Too Old For Online Gaming?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is a matter of age, but not in a matter of "old age". I'm 30 and since I have no actual knowledge regarding your age, I'll assume the same for you.

I have a house, a job, a car, a wife and two kids. I can devote at best about 10 hours a week to ALL my games. The people you're playing with (by and large) can devote double that to a single game.

There is no way you'll ever progress to their skill level. It can't be done. Boredom is a young persons problem.

If ever you're feeling bad about your skill, break out an old fighting game that you mastered, and play somebody younger. I can't hold a candle to a kid playing COD or the fighters. But I can still lay waste to the kids in Virtua Fighter 2 and Soul Caliber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Boredom is a young persons problem.
    Wow. That's... pretty darn profound, I have to say.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

@Nirvana I was....solid. I could do basic combos and chains into supers, plus all the stock moves. So, any teenager or Asian could probably have destroyed me, even back then.

@j_factor Yes, yes, 1000 times yes.

@J'orfeaux That's an awesome comic.

@kedawa I haven't really had too many lag issues. Just rage issues.

So yeah, it's probably a combination of what most of you are saying; prepubescent douchebags with big mouths, lack of practice, lack of time to devote to practice, diminished reflexes, and occasional connection issues.

For the first time in my life I feel, to a certain extent, that gaming (and online gaming in particular) has passed me by. I'm 33 for the record. Perhaps I'm hitting my curmudgeon period early.

Regarding SubSpace, it's funny that came up. David, I played in the Chaos zone under the name Navarone for years, around 98-2004 or so. I still, every so often, log in - maybe one every 3-4 months. What's your primary handle in Chaos?
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    Regarding SubSpace, it's funny that came up. David, I played in the Chaos zone under the name Navarone for years, around 98-2004 or so. I still, every so often, log in - maybe one every 3-4 months. What's your primary handle in Chaos?
    InsaneDavid under squad DeathBunny but before 2007 or so it was Evolver with no squad affiliation.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Wow. That's... pretty darn profound, I have to say.
    Thanks... but it isn't mine. I don't know who said it, or where I read it, but it's something that stuck with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm 34 and I get bored playing multiplayer games. Can't stand it at all. Never have liked it. Even with groups of friends playing in the same room it bores me.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I'm 36, and I never played online multiplayer until very recently. Yeah, the kids suck. Or I suck. Halo, ugh, never again. But L4D2... now that was fun. I dunno, maybe it was the aforementioned insults, or maybe it was the sight of Master Chief's junk on my dead face that turned me off, but that cartoon posted by J'orfeaux was dead-on in my experience.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

I'm 95, and who the hell are all you people, anyway?!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    just put everyone on mute, 12 years old or not
    I did this, and my enjoyment of Team Fortress 2 improved immensely. At first I took the approach of "I'll mute people selectively." then "I'll just not play on servers with alltalk (where you can hear everyone)." then "Forget it, mute for all!" then "This feels lonesome without anyone to talk to or hear." to "Crap, I'm muting them all again!"

It really is for the better. Only when you are playing with friends who can voice chat or are on a team that works as a cohesive unit and uses talk as a tool, a weapon against the enemy, is it worthwhile.

I also suggest team-based multi-player for anyone who is trying to get up to speed with a game or just have fun with casual online play. Single-player online fighting games (and online fighters in general) are bad for morale.

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    I'm 34 and I get bored playing multiplayer games. Can't stand it at all. Never have liked it. Even with groups of friends playing in the same room it bores me.
    I can attest to this. I played an online game with maxlords once... and only once. His impatience with it was astounding.