Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Old For Online Gaming?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Wow. That's... pretty darn profound, I have to say.
    Thanks... but it isn't mine. I don't know who said it, or where I read it, but it's something that stuck with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm 34 and I get bored playing multiplayer games. Can't stand it at all. Never have liked it. Even with groups of friends playing in the same room it bores me.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I'm 36, and I never played online multiplayer until very recently. Yeah, the kids suck. Or I suck. Halo, ugh, never again. But L4D2... now that was fun. I dunno, maybe it was the aforementioned insults, or maybe it was the sight of Master Chief's junk on my dead face that turned me off, but that cartoon posted by J'orfeaux was dead-on in my experience.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

I'm 95, and who the hell are all you people, anyway?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great topic! I'm going to move it over to Modern Gaming so it can get more of the attention it deserves

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Middle-aged man attacks boy over Call of Duty video game
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-23455688/

"Mark Bradford, 46, saw red when the boy gloated after gunning him down while playing Call of Duty: Black Ops.

A court heard how Bradford stormed out of his bedsit and assaulted the 13-year-old who was playing the war game at a friend’s home nearby.

The pal’s mum had to come to the terrified boy’s rescue after Bradford marched into the front room and grabbed the boy’s throat with both hands.

The lad, who cannot be identified, said last night: “I was just sat playing. We’d had a bit of a joke and then he stormed in and grabbed me. I didn’t know what was going on.”...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl View Post
    Great topic! I'm going to move it over to Modern Gaming so it can get more of the attention it deserves
    I just noticed your amended title. You honour me.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post

"Mark Bradford, 46, saw red when the boy gloated after gunning him down while playing Call of Duty: Black Ops.

A court heard how Bradford stormed out of his bedsit and assaulted the 13-year-old who was playing the war game at a friend’s home nearby.

The pal’s mum had to come to the terrified boy’s rescue after Bradford marched into the front room and grabbed the boy’s throat with both hands.

The lad, who cannot be identified, said last night: “I was just sat playing. We’d had a bit of a joke and then he stormed in and grabbed me. I didn’t know what was going on.”...

yea i read that, i honestly dont think it really had anything to do with the game more with what exactly the kid said, he's pleading innocence now cuz he knows he'll be believed, i dont know why, i just feel like the kid deserved it somehow

if that same kid said whatever he said to set off that guy to a grown man's face in person...that little fuck deserves whatever he gets
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only really got into multiplayer recently on 360- Battlefield Bad Company 2. I think it was a great starter title for multiplayer considering it had a rather mature userbase and most of the kiddies had moved on to the latest CoDs. The game style encourages team play- as stated before you can only hear your 3 squadmates. I had a friend get me into it. I like playing with friends. If you have fun friends, you can have fun with them playing online.

Occasionally someone is problematic in BFBC2, but that's rare. Most people are pretty cool. Some are too serious, some are griefers, but mostly people are into playing and having a good time. Over time you just friend people you like playing with and join them when you see them online. I haven't encountered people who avoided me because I'm not very good.

The joy of online play has to do with the social aspects of doing something WITH people, and the unpredictability of playing against people. No AI compares, but AI can be fun still.

I will admit, some nights aren't as much fun as others, if the matches don't come out balanced for whatever reason. But I get so much enjoyment from the good nights, it's easy to forget about the occasional bad nights.

With regard to your 5K177z, I think Battlefield is very forgiving considering there are so many ways to play. You aren't forced to run into the fray and spawn-die-spawn-die, etc. But it does take time to get good, and as accurately stated before, kids have all the time in the world. There was a point that my 7 year old could have schooled me in Black Ops. Since I don't play that game, it's not a surprise, but he was good. It's also a statement about who plays Black Ops.

Anyway, it takes time to get good at anything with any depth, but if you don't enjoy the process after giving it a good try, it's hard to bother. I think playing with friends really helped me get into it for the first time. If anyone wants to play BFBC2 or BF3 on 360, please friend me, I'm 'ianoid'. If you're a noob, I'll do my best to show the ropes. I'm not some super fantastic player or anything, but I can show you around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Fighting games are unplayable online because of the sheer hardcore crowd that plays them. Also the lag on most Capcom games are terrible. You either get your ass totally handed you or lag out, they're just not fun anymore unless they're in the arcades IMO.

And the crowd is...less than desirable when it comes to online gaming indeed. Personally, I think it's a bit overrated and games are better played in large groups of friends/gatherings.
    This x 1000. But as far as other genres, I find that I'm good enough to at least play. I'm not going to destroy all of of my competition, but I'm good enough to have fun at least.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm older by gaming standards, 32, but I still play games online and do just fine. You just have to find the game for you, and then realize that you only have so much time you can dedicate to it, so beatdowns happen. Fighting games are a tough genre to play casually. I tend to gravitate more towards cooperative, or team-based competitive experiences these days, since the time I do get to play is limited, and I just prefer to chill with a beer and a couple friends.

I have a group of Halo players that I've played with since the Halo 1 days, we're all in our 30's now, but we still manage to clean up pretty well when we play Halo: Reach online. BFBC2 is a great one for online too, because you can still be successful and help your team without necessarily being skilled.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

If you're looking for a fun multiplayer cooperative game online, I'd recomend castlevania hd (now on ps3 and xbawks), the whole game is bent around going through the levels as a team working together, really the only multiplayer game I've ever enjoyed. check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm 34 and I play multiplayer games far more than single player.
    Mostly I play 2D fighters, but occasionally I play puzzle games or older FPS.
    Modern single player games are just mind numbingly boring to me.
    I'm sick of moronic cliche stories and time-wasting cutscenes. I just want to play, and playing with or against other human beings is much more fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    just put everyone on mute, 12 years old or not
    Agreed.

Why are people talking while playing anyway? Don't they have people in real life that they can talk to? Turn voice chat off and focus on playing games instead.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm 34. I'm really into Gears of War. 9 times out of 10, I play with my brother-in-law. He's about my age. Usually, we're in a private chat - just him and I and maybe another friend or so. When I'm playing online without anyone in particular, I don't even put the headset on.
    Same with Halo Reach. I have 0 desire to chat with anyone on there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I'm too old for online play unless I am able to mute all the 13 year olds.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Online play is definitely all about the ability to mute somebody, I don't think it matters how old you personally have to be.

I don't think it's a matter of age specifically, because at 40 I can still do really well at a game if I've got the time in. But it's the fact that, at 40, I can't put the time in that makes playing Halo much more difficult than it would have been had I been able to play at, say, 14.

I'm still not a great player by any means, but by sticking with it and putting the hours in, my kill count in Team Slayer went from 4 when I first started to 10 after awhile.

My favourite part of playing online with younger people? Watching them lose their *mind* when they get teabagged. I couldn't care less if someone does it to me (an advantage of age no doubt), but I've played along with 14 year olds and listening to and watching them snap is priceless.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post

"What do you call people who, when they're faced with a condition or fear, do nothing about it, they just run and hide?"

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I've always been overwhelmingly average save the time I was playing Halo 3 and my entire team quit and I faced off against 5 people and managed second place. I've been considering getting back into MP lately but I'll probably wait til Amazon has the Gold cards on sale this christmas since I have a hard time paying the price of a new retail game just for the priveledge of playing MP.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    just put everyone on mute, 12 years old or not
    I did this, and my enjoyment of Team Fortress 2 improved immensely. At first I took the approach of "I'll mute people selectively." then "I'll just not play on servers with alltalk (where you can hear everyone)." then "Forget it, mute for all!" then "This feels lonesome without anyone to talk to or hear." to "Crap, I'm muting them all again!"

It really is for the better. Only when you are playing with friends who can voice chat or are on a team that works as a cohesive unit and uses talk as a tool, a weapon against the enemy, is it worthwhile.

I also suggest team-based multi-player for anyone who is trying to get up to speed with a game or just have fun with casual online play. Single-player online fighting games (and online fighters in general) are bad for morale.

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    I'm 34 and I get bored playing multiplayer games. Can't stand it at all. Never have liked it. Even with groups of friends playing in the same room it bores me.
    I can attest to this. I played an online game with maxlords once... and only once. His impatience with it was astounding.