Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken PS2s.. is there gold inside or what?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They're all going to be stacked in a huge pile that will be symbolically destroyed in a Youtube event to protest Sony's decision to discontinue the PSP2Go. Clearly.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    What I want to know is why some people care about the phat PS2 systems' production numbers. People always ask my uncle on ebay when he sells a system what the numbers on the back are.

My aunt's brother did get a very early PS2, like when it first launched and for some reason when I borrowed it I was able to play non-analog-stick-compatible games using the analog stick in addition to the D-Pad. Games like Beyond the Beyond for PS1 were working with the sticks which is very unusual.

When I got my system in 2002 or so, that function didn't work on mine.
    Perhaps only the VERY early systems could do that???
    Could have to do with modchips. I know that it was important to know model numbers when modding PSX systems.

Late-model PS2 phat systems have built in IR receivers, and at some point along the line they dropped the i.link port. Those could be factors too.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is indeed interesting...

:runs off to craigslist to find broken ps2 listings:

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

This is pretty hilarious, I might have to go sell mine now. I think I have two phat ps2s of questionable quality, hmm.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by GameNinja View Post
    This is indeed interesting...

:runs off to craigslist to find broken ps2 listings:
    I comb all the local pawn shops for broken PS2s weekly. And I'm not the only one. Matter o fact, I'd wager you'll find a guy on CL with an add to buy broken PS2s. We have two guys like that here.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

There's currently 3-4 loose fat PS2s at the Value Village near me for $14.99 each, I won't bother buying them. I'm kind of surprised the people who buy broken ones just don't buy working ones and break them themselves. It would probably be cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    There's currently 3-4 loose fat PS2s at the Value Village near me for $14.99 each, I won't bother buying them. I'm kind of surprised the people who buy broken ones just don't buy working ones and break them themselves. It would probably be cheaper.
    Odd... If those were copies of Dragon Warrior 4 for $15, you'd buy them all, am I right? The broke PS2s worth more...
    How close to Washington State are you XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyvale420 View Post
    Odd... If those were copies of Dragon Warrior 4 for $15, you'd buy them all, am I right? The broke PS2s worth more...
    How close to Washington State are you XD
    I don't bother shipping anything so it's not worth my time, nobody local wants them. I did buy a working slim PS2 with all hookups and memory card for under $10 from the same place so $15 for a loose fat one is too much.

And I found a copy of Dragon Warrior IV for $2.99 so $15 is kind of a lot in comparison. I can't remember if I tested it yet though, I'm hoping it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

I see... I ship everyday, so it's a different mentality. Yeah, I just got DW 2 and 3 in a box of NES games for $20, so I understand your point. But since I'm always selling that stuff online... $15 is a great price. Good find on the working slim, BTW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Shipping costs more in Canada, what people expect to pay in total would generally leave me with next to nothing when it's all done. A fat PS2 would cost around $20 to ship, probably more if it has to travel more than 4 hours away. Having to find boxes, running to the post office, and dealing with clearing payments just isn't worth it to make $5.

They recently raised the prices on games so I doubt I'd be finding any more great games for those low prices, I just don't like spending more on games when they're untested and final sale. People were complaining about the fluctuating prices depending on who priced them so now they just have one person pricing everything, and now it's all priced higher. I'm still looking for 2 and 3, hopefully I'll come across them eventually. Sadly I still seem to find more stuff at that thrift store(at higher prices) than anywhere else, I'd rather find constant lots on craigslist but it doesn't seem to be happening. I never really found much at garage sales, usually just once per season if I'm lucky. I'm keeping the PS2 though, I don't think I'd find another one that cheap again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Wow, I feel very fortunate after hearing your situation. I found every Dragon Warrior this year, all cheap, all at yard sales. A couple decent pawn scores, a handful of awesome thrift scores, but yard sales and CL keep my bills paid. And I have a dozen thrift stores to choose from, and over 20 pawn shops. Sounds like you have just the one thrift store. Quite humbling, really. Lucky by geography.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Dragon Warrior 1 is easy to find, I even have a complete copy of it. This was back when games were $1.99, a rare drop in pricing that didn't last long. I still have to take off the price tag, I found several complete games together and they put stupid stickers on the boxes which will be difficult to remove without any damage(I'll be careful but it takes awhile to do properly). Otherwise everything is in excellent condition.

There are 3 thrift stores where I am. One is independent and almost never has games(ever), I used to find some books ages ago but it's just about dead now in terms of what I like. Another is Salvation Army, rarely ever gets games in but when they do they're usually $0.99 each. At least that's what they've been the last few times I've found any, it's like once every few months they'll get something and maybe once every few of those times it would be something good. I still find stuff in all those stores but it doesn't feel like it's often enough for how often I go, I try to go every day.

Craigslist or Kijiji is ok, I used to find stuff more often with it than now. The better stuff in my collection I've mostly found this way, either with rarer stuff or stuff in better condition. Usually it's cheaper too when buying in lots and selling off the extras. A couple of years ago I always found stuff worth buying this way, now every few months I might reply to something.

I shouldn't really complain so much about that Value Village, I do find stuff every few weeks but it's usually a horrible shopping experience whenever I'm there so I don't like the store all that much. I found a boxed Majora's Mask last week for $5 which was bagged on the wall, but when I got home I found the box empty. They're too lazy to check what they're pricing, normally I check before paying for anything but I was in a hurry and that's when I get ripped off(they don't like people opening the bags but I usually do anyway). I did manage to convince the manager to let me exchange it for something else(and he let me keep the box anyway), but it just annoys me. I guess it's better than them just throwing out the empty box, but it was priced like all the other games so you'd expect it to have the game too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Yes, I can understand your frustration with Value Village. One of the Christian thrifts here always seperates PC games from their manuals, unless it's inside the jewel case or boxed. 100% of the time. Pain in the ass. Then they want to charge you for both seperately, and you have to show them they're mates... Ugh. Still, from what you said of yard sales having nothing, man I'm sorry. Almost everything really cool I own came from a yard sale. And usually it ends up being free, because of bundles and whatnot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe we had a similiar topic earlier this year and I'm surprised that people are still paying so much for these. Everytime I see a PS2 at Goodwill for under $20 I'm tempted to start hoarding them. But most times they are priced $20-40 each so that gives me a legit reason to pass on them.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

The more I think of this topic there more conspiracy theories I come up with.

Clearly, it's Sony buying them. They're going to stockpile already-produced emotion engine parts so the ps4 can be backwards compatible.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone figured this out yet
    I cant understand why you can goto gamestop and get a fully working one for like $50 but broken ones on ebay are fetching almost $50
    one person sold a buy it now for 142 broken ones for $5200
    I have a lot on ebay now and im shocked on how much the auction has got up to and its still not over

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by M37R01D View Post
    Has anyone figured this out yet
    I cant understand why you can goto gamestop and get a fully working one for like $50 but broken ones on ebay are fetching almost $50
    one person sold a buy it now for 142 broken ones for $5200
    I have a lot on ebay now and im shocked on how much the auction has got up to and its still not over
    I think Kitsune Sniper did a good job of explaining it earlier on this thread.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i read that but gamestop has tons of working ones for about the same price and they come with controllers and wires
    the gamestop i just quit had over 50 large ones sitting in their back room
    occasionally some guy would come in and buy as many as we would sell him. he said he was sending to another country. so I can kinda believe that but still why not goto every gamestop and just buy them out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Go for it! I doubt that they won't catch on for long, but in the meantime...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Gamestop sells them cheaper than $50, at least in Canada they are. I think this is one of the few times where stuff is actually cheaper in Canada compared to the US, I'm actually surprised by this.

http://www.gamestop.ca/ps2/consoles/...rbished/253379

$29.99 plus tax for one with hookups that's fully working. This is why I pass on bare systems for $14.99 at Value Village.