Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you still buy new player's guides for recent games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I buy strategy guides only for RPG's. My last one I think I bought was for dragon Quest VI for the DS.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

The last strat guide I bought was for Dragon Age II, but I don't usually buy them. All in all, I only own a few guides, and none for recent games aside from DA2 (the second most recent guide on my bookshelf is Kingdom Hearts II).

I'm a visual person, so I'm not too fond of GameFAQs for that reason, but it's better than nothing. Now that I have an ebook reader, I use it to carry the walkthrough to my current handheld game (right now, Ocarina of Time for the 3DS), so I can consult it even on the go.

Anyway, Aussie was right 2 years ago, this thread shouldn't be in OT. Time for a move! (swoosh)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Strat guides rarely and if i do get one it's for a rpg.Usely i try to play the game the hard way but if i get stuck then i check,gamefaqs and youtube.Still if either doesn't cover what i'm looking for then i buy a guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I haven't purchased a strategy guide since 2007..

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I only buy the hardcover Bethesda and Bioware guides

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Never bought a one. By the time I get around to playing a game, there's a complete walk-thru somewhere on the interlinks.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I've historically bought the Pokemon guides, largely because of the compendium of information they used to contain about characters, moves, etc.

However, of late they've been withholding info on the "promo" guys that haven't been released as of the guide's printing - info that's readily available on Serebii.net in a lot better format. There were a few things that the guides used to be useful for, but no longer. I wasn't that impressed with Black / White, and probably won't get the guides in the future.

For most other games, I use Gamefaqs. I do like guides with maps and pictures and such, but it's not really a necessity worth paying $15+ for.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to get the guides, like most I normally pick them up for RPGs though. The last one I got at retail was the hardbound Skyward Sword guide, before that it was the the FF13 limited edition one. I didn't need to open either though

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    People print out GameFAQs guides? It seems so wasteful. And the searchability goes, too.
    Exactly, especially if your pc is away from your consoles and dont feel like printing for each section of a game or running back and forth. Games that dont have game guides use gamefaqs, others i use both.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

I do buy game guides but not very often anymore. RPG games seem to be the exception though

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really bought game guides much to begin with. I have a few old Metal Gear Solid guides I picked up for dirt cheap simply as collectables. I would never spend $20-30 on new guides when you can hop onto any number of gaming sites and have access to a million walkthroughs/guides.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Last one I bought was Dragon Quest IX. Mainly wanted to be able to look up recipies for the alchemy pot and stuff without having to keep my laptop running. Sadly, compared to the DQ8 guide it's not as good for that sort of thing. (Not that the DQ8 guide didn't have issues of its own).

Even with the internets, I probably would still buy them more often if they hadn't shot up in price so much. I used to buy a lot when they were like $15 or less, but now they're like $20, $25 or more and I just don't want them quite that badly.

I really miss the guides that Nintendo published. Those really seemed to be a notch above what Prima and Brady put out. And of course Working Designs had some guides that were in a league of their own, even before they went all hardcover deluxe; those are some guides I wouldn't mind paying 20 bucks for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also pick up collector's editions of guides if I come across them for dirt cheap.

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, but only for RPGs usually. recently I caved in and picked up the strategy guide for Zelda: Skyward Sword. I get it out of convenience. But I get the RPG strat. guides for collectability.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you still buy new player's guides for recent games?

Once in a while. Usually use Gamfaq or emuparadise for guides. Try to use them if I just get stuck.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The last guide I bought with a new game was Disgaea 4. I miss the days of getting penny guides.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

After reading this thread I decided to check out Amazon and picked up a brand new Dead Rising 2 hardcover guide for $4.14. Just came today actually.

I only buy the guides aftermarket for games I enjoy, or think I'll enjoy if I haven't bought the game yet. (Such is the Case with DR 2)

Besides, seeing that DR 2 is another real-time themed game I wanted to make sure I knew where shit was while playing it. (God I wish they'd stop doing that in Zombie games!)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Generally if it's a game I like, I'll pick up the guide as a companion piece, though sometimes a long time after I buy the game. I picked up the Skyward Sword hardcover guide off of Barnes & Noble's site for $25, since paying $40 retail is just insane for a guide, and for some reason Amazon is sold out of them...

I do wish I had picked up the New Super Mario Bros. Wii guide when I had the chance, since it commands insane $50+ prices on eBay now... not even sure why, because it wasn't even THAT good of a guide!

I will say that I enjoyed the old Nintendo Power guides much more than the Prima guides these days... they just seemed much more organized and better laid out, with big maps and points of interest... the Prima guides read more like rambling GameFAQs postings... sigh.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    I do wish I had picked up the New Super Mario Bros. Wii guide when I had the chance, since it commands insane $50+ prices on eBay now
    I still have it sealed in the shrink wrap and to think I was thinking about throwing it away since I don't have the game anymore. Looks like I'm going to have to Ebay it soon.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jrokshady's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Complicated, really long, difficult games, games with a lot of secrets or unlockables, hidden items, stuff like that is what will make me purchase a guide. Pokemon, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, and any RPG guide are what I need a guide for.