Thread: Oscilloscope

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Oscilloscope

I can get one at a pawn shop for $50.00.

What I'm wondering is. How easy is it to learn to repair electronics with an Oscilloscope. I can use a multimeter to find and repair burnt resistors, diods, transistors, pots, etc. But is it easy to learn how to trace the problem back to the bad part with a scope?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too would like to know. It seems to me like the next frontier to learn for me. I dare say it's also likely getting out of the realm of 'self taught', and into the realm of 'better off learning formally'.

I think a guy can get digital LCD scopes, that are cheaper than the table top original type. Perhaps not as good, but good enough for an amateur I'll bet....
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oscilloscopes aren't the most help in solving problems with digital stuff... since it's just one channel, the advantage of the oscilloscope over the multimeter is that you can actually see the data, and will sometimes pick up something that you wouldn't normally see with the DMM, but an oscilloscope is really more useful for analog devices so you can see the actual changes in the waves.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

I used one for years, but only to check the sinewave of incomming 115 voltage and the exiting step-sinewave of battry backup power supplies. looking for spikes and whatnot.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if your gonna repair digital equipment it wont be much of help.. since a multimeter tells all.. digital = 0V or 5V... (no need for oscillioscope)

when it comes to analoge tech thats a whole new story.. try learning stuff like how caps, transistors, diods etc.. work first and the influence on the electronical signal.. like.. Caps do shift signals 90 degrees (in visual on the scope the signal is pushed a bit to the right)

as an experiment for people who wanna know more.. try buying a Schnittrigger ic.. 74hc14 and connect all 6 Schnit triggers in a line and once youve done that messure the first input signal and the last output.. youll probably notice a signal delay...
    Broken? fix it.