Thread: Do you buy same games across multiple platforms?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

I've done this several times over the years. Desert Falcon on the Atari 2600 and 7800, Basketbrawl on the Atari 7800 and Lynx, Shadow of the Beast games for the Amiga, Genesis, Sega CD, and Atari Lynx, Todd's Adventures In Slime World for the Lynx and Genesis, Commando for the NES, Atari 7800, Intellivision, and Atari 2600, and far more recently Roadkill for the Xbox, GameCube, and PS2.

The game has to be something I really liked in its original release, enough to see how it compares on different platforms.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zionmaster00
    PSN
    nahtaNsreteP-00z

I always get copies on different older consoles, because they always tend to have a decent amount of changes to make the game feel different. On modern consoles though I buy all Multiplats on X360, and only exclusives for PS3 and Wii. That will probably change when we get the next generation though, because there are still differences in games nowadays, like system exclusive characters in fighting games, and pretty much everything on the Wii is very different from the X360 or PS3 versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time I have really ever done this was with the Final Fantasy and Ogre Battle series ports/revamps on the Playstation, GBA, and PSP. I wouldn't bother with games/series that I don't really really love.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Razo00

I'm a sucker for getting street fighters for multiple systems. Till this day I still enjoy playing Street Fighter II CE (Genesis) and Street Fighter II turbo (Snes).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I've owned every SF game for SNES, SFC, and Genesis, despite them being largely redundant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I buy multiple copies of games that I really like, but generally speaking I'll only get it for a preferred platform unless I happen to have it for something else and get it again just so I can play it on a preferred system. I've done that for several 360 games that I've bought the PS3 counterparts for just because I've come to appreciate the DuelShock 3 as a superior controller to the 360 one. Plus, it saves me from having to hook up my 360 except on rare occasions.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have most Street Fighter 2 Games on every system..including on the Master System

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done this a number of times as well. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes it just sort of happens by coincidence. I can tell you that I have Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 on every console & handheld it was ever released for because it's my favorite game of all time. (Yeah, I said it) I also have multiple copies of various other Street Fighter games, Metal Slug games, various fighting games, and some other random things. Prior to the current generation, there were usually enough differences in the console ports that made some games worth checking out on more than one system, but as already discussed here, the current generation of consoles offers little differences aside from the occasional exclusive character.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My most common of all double dips are to do with the portable versions of consoles game I enjoy if only out of curiosity to see how well they were downsized. The Game Boy received a number of worthy NES ports, for instance, that stand quite sturdily against their console predecessors. As far as owning games across multiple home consoles, though, that's a bit rarer, unless 1) there's something remarkably different about particular versions that make them worth having (new or rearranged content, a pretty normal reason for multiple copy ownership), or 2) the game is a rarer sight on one particular platform and I happen across that version despite owning it on another.