Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
Having collected video games and many other items for many years, I strongly agree with this. The NES market is extremely inflated at this point and there is zero chance if you buy a game at these inflated prices that you will ever recoup your investment if for some reason you need to sell down the road. I also can't imagine ever getting thousands of dollars of enjoyment out of any video game regardless of rarity.
Well not exactly. I wouldn't say zero chance, but I would agree that these are horrible purchases at these levels.

But it's just one guy buying all of these. All of these ridiculous sales are going to the same buyer. It's not all of Nintendoage conspiring to drive up prices. It's just one fool and his money, which are soon parted.

Think of it this way. You got a clunker car in your driveway that you thought was $250. Some guy shows up and offers you $20,000 for it. Are you going to sell it to him? You'd be a fool not to. Your neighbor also has a clunker, sees this sale, so he lists his for $15,000. That's what's happening now.

Of course these sales are outlandish and insane. The sellers are collectors first, and they would rather keep these items. But if they must part with them, then everyone has a price, and that's what they are charging. It is no different than DreamTR and his NWC Golds. It's been awhile, but when they were estimated around $15-$20k, he always had one for sale at $50k. Not because he's evil, just because he'd rather keep it. So if he's selling, you have to make it worth his while to motivate him.

It's funny, because these sales affect much less than 1% of the collecting community, yet almost everyone has a strong opinion about it.