Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Alternative to eBay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post
    The whole best off psychology works best with the auto refuse since they will keep putting in higher offers most of the time, sometimes reaching your minimum or auto-refuse limit, which is nice.
    Agreed, most of my best offer items move in this fashion. I'm also spared the disappointment of seeing a new offer only to find it's well below what I'm willing to accept. Win/win!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

If only systems would price spike the way games are. I'm to the point of trying to get $14 and postage for a Genesis 2 with official power supply and even 32X cable. It is pretty dusty though, perhaps cleaning it will help.
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    If only systems would price spike the way games are. I'm to the point of trying to get $14 and postage for a Genesis 2 with official power supply and even 32X cable. It is pretty dusty though, perhaps cleaning it will help.
    Shouldn't be too hard. I have some lots that I have to put together and list but here is one from a few months ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=330716580481

After my fees and investments, I made around $15 profit.

System, controller, hookups, Sonic game = cash, especially from newer eBay members

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Perhaps I should keep this then. Buying a game and controllers wouldn't be worth it. After shipping I'd already get less than a stereo model 1 32X cable costs. Let alone after making the system complete.
    Lum fan.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This forum and every other gaming forum out there has a Buy/Sell/Trade section. Just sayin'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    This forum and every other gaming forum out there has a Buy/Sell/Trade section. Just sayin'
    Nah. Not enough demand for US models. An import would've been lightning gone before I dotted my T's and crossed my I's.

It is in my topic here anyway.
    Lum fan.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Perhaps I should keep this then. Buying a game and controllers wouldn't be worth it. After shipping I'd already get less than a stereo model 1 32X cable costs. Let alone after making the system complete.
    Why are you including a 32X cable with the system then if you're not including a 32X? I'm not even entirely sure what cable you're talking about exactly. I thought you meant an AV cable but the stereo ones never came with the 32X, and the Model 1 Genesis couldn't use a stereo cable. If you're talking about the cable between the 32X and Genesis, that's meant for the Model 2 Genesis. Or there's the conversion cable to use the 32X on a Model 1 Genesis, but why would you include that with a Model 2 Genesis?

In any case I would suggest to sell a Genesis system locally. Every so often there's someone looking for a Genesis and they can sell between $20-$30 if they include all hookups and 2 controllers(fully cleaned and tested). Usually I would just bundle a bunch of games with a system and sell them together, like with 20-30 games depending on the titles and condition for $100. It can be a mix of common popular titles and sports titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Systems won't spike in price because they are the most common item out there for a successful system. There have to be more systems than the most common game, perhaps by an order of magnitude. Supply vs demand. Of course there are less common systems out there, but those probably have always had price premiums- NES top loaders, TG16 and of course Neo Geo AES.

I'm also confused about the 32x cable. If it connects a system to a 32x, then sell it separately, you'll get more for it and it's easy to ship in a bubble mailer.

As far as systems, like anything where there are 100s or 1000s for sale at any given time, you have to offer a service to sell it- that service being a cleaned up item or a nice looking tested ready to play set. A dusty old untested unguaranteed system doesn't attract buyers on the internet, who want something nice to play now. If you are too lazy to clean up your stuff, expect the lazy person's ending price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yes but it's not worth such effort for the minimal gain. Tracking down controllers wouldn't bump up its price enough to bother.

Rocket Knight Adventures in motion certainly helps push my position back toward keep. Experiences like that make the hobby what it is.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Honestly I make way more money on Amazon then I ever did ebay. It's SO much faster and easier to list items, and as long as my items are listed competitively they mostly sell within a day or two. Amazon is basically the only site I use anymore.

Amazon takes 10 seconds to list an item
    ebay takes atleast a couple minutes...plus picture time, I hate using stock photos.

No pictures necessary on Amazon
    I always found that not posting pictures or using stock photos on ebay made my items sit around longer

Using only descriptions to sell works much better for me because most people leave non detailed, short messages to describe their items. Taking a few extra seconds to write a detailed message about your item gets my stuff sold over listings that may even be cheaper than mine.

Amazon has competitive pricing and they show you when someone has a lower price than you....and it takes just 2 seconds to drop your price.
    ebay prices fluctuate so much...especially in their auction style format. So many people will skip on BIN because eventually some auctions will fall through for cheap. Leaving your items to sit their even longer. Not only that to edit your listing takes way longer than it should.

Lastly I find that fees between the two sites are very similar. Not only that, but the majority of the time you can list your items for a higher price on Amazon than on ebay. Here is an example I just looked up the other day:
    *this is all before shipping and these ebay prices include paypal fees because a vast majority of ebay sellers use it as preferred payment*

Super Mario RPG player's guide
    The last few that sold on ebay sold like this:
    24.99 + free shipping -- after fees you'd make $20.72
    21.00 + 2.00 -- $19.00
    20.50 + 5.00 -- $21.15
    However, if you jump on Amazon you can see that the lowest listed is at $25.99 and from there it jumps to $30.00 each with a $3.99 shipping cost:
    Once sold, you'd make $23.74 and $27.15 respectively

While this is only one comparison, I also find that selling consoles/handhelds is much much easier to do on Amazon and almost always go for a higher price. The consoles that sell decently on ebay usually have games and such included. The bare bones consoles usually sell for dirt cheap and can sit around for awhile. GBA SPs are one of my favorites to compare (I've sold 5 or 6 SPs on Amazon in the last couple months)

GBA SP (Flame Red - because that is what I usually stumble into, but I'm sure they're similar in every other color)
    On ebay the last bare ones that have sold:
    $32.50 + 4.25 -- $30.84
    $32.00 + 5.00 -- $31.06
    $27.00 + 7.00 -- $28.47
    On Amazon the cheapest selling is at:
    $36.49 + 3.99 -- $35.22
    and from there:
    $36.90 (no charger) + $3.99 -- $35.60
    In fact, I just sold one the other day (flame red system and charger only) for $36.79 + $3.99 and made $35.50 before shipping.

Even if you don't use Paypal for ebay you'll only save yourself another dollar or two thich still leaves a few dollar gap on each of these examples...which any seller knows adds up. Now of course, this isn't true with all items, but I've found that a majority of the time I can make more using Amazon, and the few items that go higher on ebay I'm ok with not listing them there for the sake of convenience.
    Last edited by incubus421; 06-25-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I've been experimenting with Amazon. Just one item sold yet, out of two.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by incubus421 View Post
    [a bunch of very right stuff]
    Dead on, every word.

I'm surprised by the number of "eBay or bust" replies here. Totally inaccurate. More surprised by those advocating Craiglist. If I want something sold, I want it sold yesterday. I'm certainly not going to re-up my Craigslist thread every week and hope that after six weeks someone is willing to buy my Genny 2 for $18. Certainly better for my sales if other sellers stick to their eBay/Craigslist diet though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amazon is a terrific alternative, but not without its own share of problems. Payment takes several days to a week, many types of items are restricted to only certain sellers (like expensive software), lotting up items doesn't really work that well, you're stuck selling only what they have a listing for (unless you pay $40 a month for the privilege of adding to their database), it can be tough to sell CIB cartridge games if there are a ton of cart only sellers since you with the higher price will be pushed off the first page... etc etc etc. Also, Amazon sellers are slow to react to trends, so sometimes you can get more for your item on Ebay if it's "hot" at the moment. Yes, less fluctuation, but that's not always a positive. Let's not make Amazon out to be be-all-end-all either. It is also much slower to sell something on Amazon. I might get more money, but I get more volume on Ebay. And I hate saying this b/c I really hate Ebay. It's just stuff you should be aware of before jumping into the river.

As it stands now, I sell everywhere I can get a sale. Ebay, Amazon, forums, ecrater, Craigslist... Why limit yourself? Certain things sell better at certain places. The savvy seller uses what works for selling the item, not just sticking with one thing all the time.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dumb, lengthy post. GONE !
    Last edited by FanOPants; 06-26-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I found that Genesis bundles sell better locally than what they sell for on ebay, I guess it also would depend on the region.

There are several completed auctions on ebay but I'll just post one as an example;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/221048232019

That's a Model 3 Genesis with 19 games plus a Game Genie, most of the games being good with just a couple of sports games. It sold for $55 with free shipping included. If I had that I would have priced it for at least $80, possibly at $100. Normally I would want the games to be complete to price it at $100(or have at least 24 games) but that's a Model 3 system which would be in more demand. $80 is more realistic as the games are loose.

For shipping something like that it would cost at least $15 locally, or to the US with tracking $30. I'd rather sell a bundle locally for more money(in cash) without having to bother finding a proper shipping box, pack everything, and deal with electronic payments, potential scams, potential shipping problems, fees, or any of the other problems with dealing online. It's easier to just buy a shipping box and packing materials when shipping something but nobody wants to pay for those, you have to scrounge around for scraps to reuse which takes time. Plus having to go to the post office or bank all the time would take more time, it balances out the time it takes replying back to emails except with emails I don't have to leave the house.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I'm thinking I might try craigslist for my Sega Saturn steering wheel. Really do not want to ship that.
    Lum fan.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think most Genesis cart only games go for much on Ebay. If you're shopping on there, you want em at least in box. Looking over that list of games, the only one with any value is Boogerman. I can't see getting $80 for it anywhere, but I could sell it for $50 locally and avoid fees and shipping costs at least. But if I had better games or they were CIB, Ebay would be a better idea b/c people on CL or whatever only seem to care about the cost. It's why so many PS2 lots on CL have the cheapest games you can imagine. Someone just raided the $1 bin at the local pawn shop for their games. Who cares if the game is fun/rare/playable as long as it's only a dollar!
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Looking over that list of games, the only one with any value is Boogerman.
    The SNES version is worth a decent amount, the Genesis version really isn't(around $10 complete, sometimes less). I've sold several Genesis bundles locally so I do have a feel for pricing with bundles and what ratio of games to bundle together, mostly with commons that aren't worth much even complete. They've taken anywhere from 1 week to several months to sell, it really just depends on who's looking for it at the time. I find it way easier to sell a bundle together than trying to sell the games separately, I used to sell games separately but the best stuff would sell fast and I'd be stuck with the rest.

I tend to buy bundles of games with systems just to get a few games for my collection, then I sell off the rest to break even. I tend to pay more for games in bundles than most people so I'm not really making much when selling off Genesis stuff. About a couple months ago I did get a large bundle of Genesis stuff with a few systems for a great price but I still need to clean and test everything before bundling stuff together. I still need to do the same with Gameboy stuff I need to get rid of, I price that at $5 per game with a system included for free. This stuff also doesn't sell for so much on ebay.

I do have some better games listed separately for more money, but I haven't really got any replies for them. Shipping anything larger than a letter would cost over $10 to ship(even a single complete Genesis game in a small box) so I won't get much for them online. It's the common good games that sell well in a bundle, stuff like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, Aladdin, the Sonic games(especially 3), Comix Zone, etc. The thing is they've included Streets of Rage with the lot and there's already a copy of the Genesis 6-Pak which has Streets of Rage included, I wouldn't have included a double like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    About a couple months ago I did get a large bundle of Genesis stuff with a few systems for a great price but I still need to clean and test everything before bundling stuff together.
    Props to you my good man, if feels like no one cares about cleaning up stuff before reselling it anymore.

I feel that while it can take some extra time to get everything fixed up it's totally worth it to be able to sell a Genesis 2 that looks nice and clean and has had it's power jack fixed already. Maybe I'm just wasting my time and people wouldn't care anyway, but I feel that at least if it continues to work well after I sell it then it won't just get pitched into the garbage in the future.