Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
I can get behind the idea that Dreamcast was the first system to do 'good' 3D. I just don't get what the big deal is. It just seems excessively snooty to me, to pooh-pooh everything that doesn't meet some arbitrary graphical standard. When I play Syphon Filter or WipEout or whatever, I'm concentrated on having fun, I'm not thinking "there aren't enough polygons, how pedestrian". All of that stuff is just as playable as it ever was. Hell, even games like Zero Tolerance are still playable.
Personally its less about the quality of the 3D (although its definitely still a factor) then it is about control, especially in regards to camera control of 32 bit era games. Both of those things coupled make the 3D era much less appealing now then other previous generations of gaming. It largely wasn't an issue before the 32 bit era and largely hasn't been standardized after but the transitional period saw everyone trying a different control and camera layout for every other game even in the same genera with many of them simply not being very good due to lack of experience controlling objects in a 3D plane. There are a ton of great gems from this era that are playable today, but I think the vast majority of releases are certainty things you have to push yourself to adjust to again rather then just enjoying it from the get go.

Answer to general "why pick N64" question:
N64 is a console I both have a lot of experience with in its heyday and didn't like then and still and not fond of now. I would only chose something like the CDi, Jaguar, or whatever if I had played them more then once but I haven't yet I have with the N64 and still don't really enjoy it like any other console I have played extensively over the years.