Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSVita Hacked, Native Homebrew Loader Coming Soon [Slashdot]

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Exactly. I'd stretch that further to say a significant portion of apparent pirates don't USE what they've downloaded. Who has time to try every rom in GoodNES alone?
    I've heard of this with DVDs or torrents of TV shows. So many times I've heard of people burning copies of DVDs that they just stick on a shelf and never watch, or just download entire TV shows to their hard drive and never watch them. It's more to say "look at what I have" than anything of use.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've heard of this with DVDs or torrents of TV shows. So many times I've heard of people burning copies of DVDs that they just stick on a shelf and never watch, or just download entire TV shows to their hard drive and never watch them. It's more to say "look at what I have" than anything of use.
    I do that sometimes too, despite my best efforts not to. I've got a few complete anime series on my harddirve that I had the time to watch when I started the torrent, but don't currently.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I can't stand load times and logo overload that modern games force on me, so personally I'd prefer to use the Vita for playing emulators.
    Theoretical question: how many devices in your home at this moment are perfectly capable of playing SNES ROMs already? And, if that's all you want a Vita for, why not just get a PSP?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Also, if you want emulation. Get Monster Hunter Freedom Unite right now before Sony takes it down. Next few days they're going to release the HBL save data for it so you can play HBL enabled games on your Vita. ISOs won't be able to play, but you can play emulated games from 16bit consoles or arcade systems.

If you have digital versions of Super Collapse 3, Motorstorm Arctic Edge, or Everybody's Tennis prepatched versions and your Vita is below a certain firmware, you can also use Halfbyte Loader.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GizzyGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice. Is the Vita any good? Personally have never played one =(

http://www.GizzyGames.com
    10% off for all DP members! Use code DIGIT at checkout!

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by GizzyGames View Post
    It's great hardware. Someday I hope there are some original games for it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Theoretical question: how many devices in your home at this moment are perfectly capable of playing SNES ROMs already? And, if that's all you want a Vita for, why not just get a PSP?
    Or a JXD/Yinlips... or a clone console... There are so many cheaper/more efficient ways to play old games on the go now, it doesn't seem worth it to spend $250 just to play a bunch of roms and a few new games. And Sony really doesn't deserve money for what is essentially considered a big security flaw. But whatever.

Don't really see how anything good can come out of this, I miss the days when games sold systems, not stuff like this.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There are some really good games on the system, but it just comes down to preference.

Wipeout 2048 is one of the best racing games ever made. It has no racebox, so you can't just pick and choose a track to race and set up anything. But once you finish the game, you can play any track in any soeed ranking on any mode, essentially racebox without having to choose. There's online and adhoc play which allow you to choose whatever setup you want. There's also DLC that will get you Wipeout HD/Fury tracks and modes on the game. If you purchase this DLC or the PS3 versions of HD and Fury, then you get whichever you didn't purchase free. Whenever you choose a race, it shows your friends times in that specific event and what your ranking is compared to theirs(as well as overall leaderboard rankings.)

Unit 13 is pretty difficult, but a good game(I'd say one of the beset on the system.) It's got 40 or 50 missions, daily challenges, plus unique target missions. Some missions are longer, but the missions themselves are all fairly short. It's designed with being a portable game in mind. Something that you can pick up, play a mission or two fairly quickly, and then put down. Sortof like Wipeout 2048, when choosing your mission, it'll show your friends scores, so you can keep things competitive by going for a high score. You probably won't ever do as good as some of the people on the leaderboards though. There's daily challenges which you have a chance to play through to completion one time during a 24 hour period to see who gets the best score out of those. The game also has co op play through online or adhoc.

Uncharted Golden Abyss. It's Uncharted. There's a slight deadzone to the aiming, but once you get used to it, it's a good Uncharted game. Something I didn't think I would like, but is actually utilized pretty well is painting a line for Drake to go across or jump from and to. It really speeds it up and doesn't force you to continue hitting X to jump from area to area. However, all the other touch screen features are an annoyance but not game breaking.

Mortal Kombat. It's Mortal Kombat, but with worse graphics and better netcode. If you've played Mortal Kombat on the PS360, you'd know that those tend to be laggy more often than not. The Vita version happens to fare well in 90% of the matches.

Those are the ones that I have that I like. Little Deviants is terrible, and the demo to Hot Shots Golf is good. Also I've heard Gravity Rush is another good game, but I haven't played it.

So the system has got some really good games making it already worth the purchase, but it doesn't have too many games coming out for it. Games I'm interested that are coming out for it are Ragnarok Odyssey, Playstation All Stars, Dragon's Crown, Ys Celceta: Sea of Trees, and Assassin's Creed Liberation(which I'll get if I like Assassin's Creed 3 first.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-11-2012 at 03:29 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by GizzyGames View Post
    I like it, but I haven't touched it in awhile. Partly because I bought an Android Tablet, partly because there hasn't been anything new out for it pretty much since I got it to get me back interested in it.

I loved and beat Uncharted on it. Loved Rayman Origins but never finished it. Loved MLB 13 The Show and have played through 1.5 seasons as "J.J. Slater" (but got traded from Blue Jays to Padres so that hurt my enjoyment . Enjoyed Gravity Rush but by then I was just struggling to find something new to play, and it felt like a forced purchase.

Since then I've pretty much put it down (although I will get back into MLB again soon I think). I need more games to buy (not hacks).

(Not that I won't install an emulator on the VITA if they become available, because I will. Mostly I just like getting them up and running - I barely play them. I've got a room in the basement with my NES, SNES, 7800, etc. connected and ready to go - I'd rather play the games on the hardware than emulate them)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's great hardware. Someday I hope there are some original games for it.
    I agree as I was playing around with a demo unit at Best Buy a few months back. It's a solid unit, doesn't feel cheap, the screen is beautiful to. It just needs some original games, Uncharted: Golden Abyss was a good start, but more needs to come sooner than later.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

More powerful hardware opens the door for more accurate/better emulation. Many games run at unplayably low speeds on modded consoles/handhelds for the crowd who refuses to use a computer to emulate.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The big bright OLED screen doesn't hurt, either.
    I've looked into the cheap chinese handhelds and tablet hybrids, and there doesn't seem to be a single one that doesn't have some sort of glaring fault or quality issue.
    They aren't exactly cheap, either. Even the Dingoo A320 is still nearly $100.