Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn vs Turbo Grafx CD

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    As far as collecting... Hmmm... The TGCD is probably rarer, but the Saturn will probably bring in more money.

As far as actually playing them... they both go straight up for sale while I go play a decent system. They both suck. Cue the hatred, but I'm not trolling, I'm dead serious. Give me a system that had more than 10 good games that were released in the U.S. SNES, PS1, N64, NES, take your pick.
    I think your personal taste in games might be clouding your judgement here. Even counting only US releases the Saturn has far more than 10 good games.

Without looking at a game list:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Daytona USA
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Fighters Megamix
    Street Fighter Alpha 1
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    NiGHTS: Into Dreams
    Guardian Heroes

Because I owned them!

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Both the Saturn and TG16 are good. Most of the best Saturn games are already on the PSX. It's got some good games on its own, but if you have most of the best PSX games then there's not much point in getting it unless you want to play those good games that aren't on the PSX.

The TG16 is also good, but the CD kind of sucks because unless you live in Japan there's very few good games on it. The better games are also pretty expensive.
    I would say the "best" Saturn game is probably Grandia, and it is certainly inferior on the PS1. Being Japan only does not count negatively towards it.

Following closely to that are RAM cart fighting games. X-men vs Street Fighter on the system blew the ps1 version out of the water in every way, and MSH was also quite a bit better. Street Fighter Zero 3 was the definitive home version until the ps2 alpha collection.
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 01-07-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

yeah other than the most insistent purists who'd question most ps2 collections since they tend to lack 240p mode.
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand the purpose or point of even comparing two consoles from different generations. This is even more pointless than the N64 vs MVS thread. What's next, debating the merits of the Game Gear vs tabletop Coleco games?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    I don't understand the purpose or point of even comparing two consoles from different generations. This is even more pointless than the N64 vs MVS thread. What's next, debating the merits of the Game Gear vs tabletop Coleco games?
    It opens up different points of views and brings things into different perspectives. They have things in common with each other, and so I thought why not make a thread about them? Also I got cdr's Friday and have been burning games all weekend. This is the list of games I got for each system:

Turbo CD:
    Ginga Fukei Densetsu - Sapphire
    Ginga Ojousama Densetsu Yuna 2 - Eien no Princess
    Gates of Thunder
    Lords of Thunder
    Legend of Xanadu
    Raxxanber 2
    Books of Y's 1&2
    Castlevania Dracula X
    Star Parodia
    Serei Senshi Spriggan

Saturn:
    Nights Into Dreams
    Hyper Duel
    Christmas Nights
    Guardian Heroes
    Radiant Silvergun
    Marvel Super Heroes vs Capcom
    Fighters Megamix
    Sengoku Ace/Blaede
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Panzer Dragoon
    Elan Doree
    Astal
    Waku Waku 7
    Keio Flying Squadron 2
    Princess Crown
    Castlevania Symphony of The Night (you can play as Maria and Richter up front :)

Im really enjoying these games a lot as I test played them. On Turbo side I did get a ton of shooters, but I couldnt find all the fighting games I've seen it has.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    I agree. The whole OP was put together in a way designed to try and generate controversy and debate and I'm pleased nobody has taken the troll bait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    yeah other than the most insistent purists who'd question most ps2 collections since they tend to lack 240p mode.
    They do? That seems rather stupid since the ps2 is capable of displaying 240p just fine.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I agree. The whole OP was put together in a way designed to try and generate controversy and debate and I'm pleased nobody has taken the troll bait.
    Uhhh, friendly conversation isnt debate. And how is asking "Hey these two systems have things in common, which do you like more?" Isnt trolling, its not like these consoles went up against each other and there was a ton of passion about them at the time. Yes, I was influenced in part by the MVS vs N64 thread, why not make more threads like this? A guy asked Genesis vs SNES, people didnt see that as trolling. Why not go for different kind of stuff and ask weird questions?
    Heres a video about the Turbo CD if people dont know much about the library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Yes, I was influenced in part by the MVS vs N64 thread, why not make more threads like this?
    because of years of experience of these things happening

Anyway, like I said, there's no reason for the two systems to actually be in competition now. They're historical. Even back at the time it was possible to own both at once. I really don't see the point of it when you admit that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Most of the best Saturn games are already on the PSX.
    Pffffffffffffff.

Panzer Dragoon 1, 2, and Saga
    Dragon Force
    Shining Force 3
    Burning Force
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    X-Men vs SF & Marvel vs SF (yes, I know these were released for the PS1, but there's absolutely no reason to EVER play the PS versions save for LULZ)
    Radiant Silvergun
    Dark Savior
    Legend of Oasis
    Castlevania (extra dungeon segments for Saturn only)
    House of the Dead
    Albert Odessy
    Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Savior
    Nights
    10 freakin' player Bomberman!!!
    Princess Crown
    etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    because of years of experience of these things happening

Anyway, like I said, there's no reason for the two systems to actually be in competition now. They're historical. Even back at the time it was possible to own both at once. I really don't see the point of it when you admit that.
    Okay, you don't like the thread. Maybe, don't open it?

These sorts of theoretical discussions are not intended to crown a victor between two consoles, rather they are supposed to stimulate an appreciation for what made each of them good in their own way by comparing and contrasting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It has more to do with the general forum quality, mang. It's not just a matter of taste, it's about having something worthwhile to talk about, and also promoting something beyond blind full-system collecting (which ends up being a waste). There are lots of reasons I could name (some selfish, yep) why blind system fanboyism and winner-takes-all views harm the hobby. I've been around long enough to see this play out. But have fun all the same! You'll eventually grow tired of it too.

More to the point, though, I would have stayed away if I had thought that the OP was just asking for that. You can see my replies on the previous page if you want to see what I was responding to.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 01-07-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are there any games people REALLY want to play that would make them buy a Saturn nor Turbo Duo to play? And Maybe I should have compared the whole Turbo Grafx/PC Engine plus CD to the Saturn? What do you guys think then?

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What’s up with these Vs. threads… so random.

I will say this; any system Victor Ireland put a game out for is a good system and both of these have that so debate over.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Are there any games people REALLY want to play that would make them buy a Saturn nor Turbo Duo to play? And Maybe I should have compared the whole Turbo Grafx/PC Engine plus CD to the Saturn? What do you guys think then?
    Dude, it's ok...but let me mention this; in the Classic Discussions subforum there should be topics about the best games for each system.

If you don't mind, what is your personal collection goal? I would personally never think to pit one system against another because, well...I can have both (if I want), without all the bad titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Seconded. The last "______ vs. ______" console debate I was remotely interested in was SNES vs. Genesis, and that was mostly due to my being in my early teens at the time and only having a Genesis.

Almost without exception, there are fantastic games for every released console that makes it worth owning and playing. A great game is a great game; it doesn't matter what system it happens to be on. Arbitrary and subjective comparisons between systems and games, in an attempt to somehow quantify one's quality as being superior over another, is a pointless waste of time.

We're all here because we love games. Why some among us feel the need to ascertain certain consoles' supposed superiority over others, I can't say for sure; I suspect it must fulfill some psychological need to establish a clear hierarchy of quality.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Pffffffffffffff.

Panzer Dragoon 1, 2, and Saga
    Dragon Force
    Shining Force 3
    Burning Force
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    X-Men vs SF & Marvel vs SF (yes, I know these were released for the PS1, but there's absolutely no reason to EVER play the PS versions save for LULZ)
    Radiant Silvergun
    Dark Savior
    Legend of Oasis
    Castlevania (extra dungeon segments for Saturn only)
    House of the Dead
    Albert Odessy
    Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Savior
    Nights
    10 freakin' player Bomberman!!!
    Princess Crown
    etc.
    I didn't mean specifically that it didn't have any games. I meant "most of the best games the Saturn have is on the PSX" in comparison to how many exclusives we've come to expect on older consoles. The Saturn is sort of like the PS360 of the 32/64bit gen. Back when it was released, unless you were a fanboy, the PS3 wasn't worth owning outside of BC if you had a 360 or if you were interested in the 360 because most of the best games the PS3 had were also on the 360. While it's the other way around now, where the PS3 has more exclusives worth owning and most of the best games the 360 has are on the PS3. However, if you own one system or the other and don't have all the better multiconsole games, there's really not too much of a reason to buy the other console.

I didn't mean it as anything against the system specifically. Hopefully people get what I mean by the PS360 comparison. If you currently one, there's not much sense in getting the other, and the same for the Saturn. If you have the PSX, unless you really want to get one of the games on the Saturn or a lot of exclusive games on the Saturn, there's really no sense in getting it since you have a lot of exclusives you can purchase on the PSX and a lot of multiconsole titles.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-07-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Dude, it's ok...but let me mention this; in the Classic Discussions subforum there should be topics about the best games for each system.

If you don't mind, what is your personal collection goal? I would personally never think to pit one system against another because, well...I can have both (if I want), without all the bad titles.
    I just wanted to make a thread where there would some tal kabotu both systems and we could all learn from each other about some games on each console that arent talked about. Its hard to find play through videos for Turbo CD games, especially some of the ones I listed that I have now.

I feel like people just read the title of the thread and havent paid attention to what else Ive said in here. Im just trying to have a conversation about both consoles. I hoped someone would show up and say how great the Turbo CD library is, but it hasnt really happened. So, ok I wont make another of these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Normally when discussing the Saturn compared to other systems(usually the PS1 and N64) I have to point out that the Saturn's US library is pretty weak.
    The North American lineup is actually pretty damn good. I only have 4 imports for my Saturn and the other 75 games were bought in the States.

RPGs

Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Shining in the Holy Ark

Action RPGs

Magic Knight Rayearth
    Dark Savior
    Shining Wisdom
    Legend of Oasis

Strategy/SRPG

Iron Storm
    Shining Force III
    Mystaria: The Realms of Lore
    Dragon Force

Racing

Daytona USA
    Daytona USA C.E.
    Sega Rally 95
    Scorcher
    Wipeout (I like it better than the PSX version)
    Manx TT
    Hang-On GP

Shooters/Shmup

Galactic Attack (aka Layer Section)
    Darius Gaiden
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Fighters

Virtua Fighter Kids
    Virtua Fighter Remix
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Marvel Super Heroes
    X-Men: COTA (frame-rate kind of sucks though)
    Fighting Vipers
    Fighter's Megamix
    Ultimate MK3
    Street Fighter Collection
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Night Warriors

Air Combat

Wing Arms
    Sky Target
    Thunder Strike
    Soviet Strike (sorta air combat)

Mech

GunGriffon
    Virtual-On

Platformer

Burning Rangers
    Mega-Man X4
    Astal (a little over-rated)
    Shinobi Legions
    Bug
    Croc
    Rayman
    Skeleton Warriors

Sports

World-Wide Soccer
    World Series Baseball 98
    Decathlete
    Pebble Beach Golf

Lightgun games

Virtua Cop
    Virtua Cop 2
    House of the Dead
    Maximum Force

And everything else

Last Gladiators (yeah, the Japanese sequel is considered better, but it's still a pretty cool pinball game)
    Tempest 2000
    Die Hard Arcade
    Guardian Heroes
    Saturn Bomberman
    Shinobi Legions
    Enemy Zero
    Sega Ages Vol 1
    Nights
    Saturn Bomberman
    Worms

Yeah, there were a few good RPGs that got left in Japan, along with a lot of Shmups and Capcom Fighters, but the North American library wasn't too shabby.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 01-07-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

You really can't fault TG-16 CD for lack of fighters, because the genre was in its infancy at the time. That said, collecting will cost you a fortune for both, that I can say. Especially if you want all the Japanese-only games. Saturn is definitely a better system, mainly because it's more powerful hardware. Controller is light years better too. Getting RGB out of it is much easier/cheaper, too. I love shooters (shmups) and TG has tons of them, but so does the Saturn. Ironically both system libraries, as I said, are heavily Japanese-influenced. Very little western development.

On graphics/sound/control, it's the Saturn. On 2D, simplicity, fun, TG-16. On collecting costs, toss up. Both expensive. Me personally I got a TG-16 not long ago, no CD, and the Turbo Everdrive to play all HuCard roms. While I would like the CD, I just can't go for the high prices for the units and games. Saturn is nice, but like someone said most of the big name games were ported to Playstation or PC.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 01-07-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

There's one thing I don't get. Why narrow it down to just "the Turbo CD"? If we're gonna do this, why not just the entire Turbo/PC Engine library? There is no way I know of to have a working CD unit without the Hucard unit anyway, so you might as well take it as a complete package.

That being said, this topic is like asking me to choose favorite children. I could, perhaps, be tempted to part with my Gamecube or N64... but you'll only take my Saturn and my PC Engine over my cold, dead body. And I will never die.

As for what each system has that makes it worthwhile? Well:

TurboGrafx:
    * Splatterhouse
    * Devil's Crush
    * Bonk
    * Galaga '88
    * Military Madness
    * Ys I-IV
    * Dungeon Explorer
    * Gate of Thunder
    * early SNK fighters
    * and probably a ton more that I forgot at the moment...

Saturn:
    * Layer Section/Galactic Attack (Ray Force)
    * Capcom Generations 1-5 (particularly the second one)
    * NiGHTs Into Dreams
    * Quake (yeah I warmed up to this one)
    * D
    * Enemy Zero
    * Capcom fighters
    * SNK fighters
    * In the Hunt
    * and again, probably so many more that have slipped my memory.

Not long ago I had both consoles hooked up side-by-side, and played them both near constantly. Ahh, the memories...