Thread: Edge reports durango to block used games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Hmm. Nope. I'm not going to get used to it. I'll simply choose not to consume the product I guess. Why does the game industry think they're so special when it comes to second-hand products?
    They aren't special. All media is heading this way; from books, to magazines, to comics, to movies, to TV shows, to Video Games. Its just the way the economics are moving in the entertainment industry as a whole. Obsessing about the storage medium of a game being integral to the gaming experience is about as short sighted as saying the most important part about reading is being able to smell the book.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by AlphaGamer; 04-02-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    They aren't special. All media is heading this way; from books, to magazines, to comics, to movies, to TV shows, to Video Games. Its just the way the economics are moving in the entertainment industry as a whole. Obsessing about the storage medium of a game being integral to the gaming experience is about as short sighted as saying the most important part about reading is being able to smell the book.
    That's funny you mention that, because one of the things I enjoy most about reading is the feel and smell of the books. I'm not going to pay for e-books when I can go buy a physical copy of the same thing. Same goes for comics. I don't like forking over money for things that I don't get a physical item for except in certain scenarios. Everyone who embraces everything digital-only will be sorry when their power goes out for more than two minutes and they realize they don't even have any books to read because they only bought digital copies of them. You really want to trust everything to the cloud and to the corporations? I love seeing a shelf full of books or games or CDs, and organizing them, putting the things I enjoy most in places of honor on my shelves. I can't do that with digital stuff. Or, "Merry Christmas, daughter. Here's a piece of paper I printed out with the download code for that game you wanted" - yay?

It's not that I shun technology, or the internet, or social media, or new advances in technology. But I think that things can coexist without physical things disappearing. It makes me sad to think that if everything goes digital, all the "stuff" that we pass on to people when we die won't exist, and will probably be locked up in some online account, inaccessible behind TOS and unable to be passed to our offspring and family and friends. Which is really the entertainment industry's wet dream - making people pay for the same things over and over forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Everyone who embraces everything digital-only will be sorry when their power goes out for more than two minutes and they realize they don't even have any books to read because they only bought digital copies of them.
    And if your house burns down, or you have a flood you lose all your books. Straw Man is made of Straw. If the power goes off for any period of time where you're electronic device runs out of power, you've got bigger problems going on then not being able to read.

EDIT: You can't read a print book in the dark either. So again. Straw Man argument.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 02-07-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

And if your house burns down, or you have a flood you lose all your books. Straw Man is made of Straw. If the power goes off for any period of time where you're electronic device runs out of power, you've got bigger problems going on then not being able to read.

EDIT: You can't read a print book in the dark either. So again. Straw Man argument.
    That whole arguement only really matters depending on where you live. There are places that are just never going to be affected by floods, and places where if your power goes out all you have to do is go to your friend's house or a library/store/mall.

There really is a different place for each thing. Digital content is convenient for x purposes and physical media is convenient for y purposes. In my life there really isn't one or the other. It's often best to have them in both places so you have a backup in either case. Classic gaming will become to modern gaming what a flashlight or candle is to a power outage. That thing you can always fire up when your internet goes out.

To me all digital content is really useful for though is portability so when it comes to games I try to only buy ones that I know I will like no matter what. Usually this means sequels or copycats of old games I used to play and enjoyed.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can if I lose power in the day

That being said, I don't see ebooks completely replacing physical books any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could excuse a one-time activation that authorizes the game on that console, since XBLA games already do that, but requiring a persistent connection is crossing the line.

I don't even really mind that the disc has become nothing more than a convenient alternative to choking your internet connection with a multi-GB download, and ideally you could just toss it after it installs or pass it along to a friend. I just don't want to be cut off from my games whenever I have no connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

If this really happens, ill just stick to collecting retro games and playing those. Just got a X'EYE today and playing rocket knight adventures!

Insert Coin (Level 0) zakthedodo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why you wouldn't make a system as user friendly as possible.

I think it was Sony a few years back that tried to make rip protected CD's.
    So you buy the music, but can't rip it to your collection to put on your MP3 player without a code or something.
    It didn't last very long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think part of this is the whole piracy thing. Microsoft suffered pretty strongly with piracy this generation. If you look on any craigslist, you'll see people with advertisments to mod your 360 and make you backups. They want to kill GameStop, GameFly and Piracy in one fell swoop.

The thing is, has any of these always-on connections really worked when it came to piracy ? For example, with Diablo 3 was Blizzard able to avoid a lot of piracy with that game, or was it pirated just as much as anything else ? You have to wonder why companies go through with these measures if they really don't work very well.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Well if there is one thing that is for certain piracy will never disappear. They come out with something new to block them. Someone will come up with a way to work around it and then cash in on it for themselves.

As for the safe bet that was mentioned earlier.

Companies especially corporations go where the money is. They don't care how many bridges they burn along the way to get there its just that they get there.

So if it means pissing off the hardcore gaming community to cash in on the huge boom in casual gaming thats happened in the past decade they will do it until that cash cow runs dry and then go for something else.

They don't care about you... they don't care about me... they only care about the figures that sit in their bank accounts.

The only thing I personally think they are shooting themselves in the foot with is jumping to the whole it has to be online to work thing.

Not everyone has cable internet. Some places still can't even get cable internet believe it or not. Some your small town residents that live on back country roads that comcast and verizon have yet to stake claim to. I mean yes the majority of us have finally moved onto cable over the years but not everyone has it.
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 02-07-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if anyone's bothered to mention it, and I'd completely forgotten, but we shouldn't forget about things like the PSN outage either. That took the PSN out for almost a month. Games like Everquest, DC Online, and Star Wars Galaxies were in the same boat. Would you really want to be unable to use your console for the better part of a month - AT ALL - if something like that happened again? Compensation after the fact isn't good enough when I plunk down hundreds of dollars for the console plus $60 for a game that I'm not even going to be playing online in the first place. And all the redundancy in the world wouldn't help if the network had to be shut down because of a breach like that rather than just stability problems. And Sony's not some small company. They're one of the big ones. There's no guarantee something similar won't happen in the future. I'd hope they'd be able to fix it more quickly than that one took, but I don't have much confidence that would be the case.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    They want to kill GameStop, GameFly and Piracy in one fell swoop.
    If these companies hate Gamestop they need to STOP SELLING THEIR PRODUCTS AT GAMESTOP! Its that simple. If new games arent sold there most people wouldnt go there, even the used game people would stop going there as much. If they lost the major support of the consoles and major developers, then theyd have to completely restructure their business.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    If these companies hate Gamestop they need to STOP SELLING THEIR PRODUCTS AT GAMESTOP! Its that simple. If new games arent sold there most people wouldnt go there, even the used game people would stop going there as much. If they lost the major support of the consoles and major developers, then theyd have to completely restructure their business.
    Gamestop might have to restructure their business, but so would many of the companies. Sure Nintendo, Activision and EA can probably take to the change, but XSEED, Atlus or NISA isnt going to be able to sell the next Persona, or Phantom Brave at walmart.

I have a Wii U, a Vita and a 3DS to complement my past systems. If the next PS and Xbox wont allow used games I'd gladly pass on them. It will just give me more funds to by used games for consoles I already have.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

They don't hate gamestop entirely. They hate the fact game stop sells used copies of their games which they claim they don't see a dime from. Game stop thrives on used game sales according to their business model which is why employees are forced to annoy you with trying to push you into buying a used copy.
    They want gamestop to just buy their new product and sell it. Which if what their business model shows towards new game sales is true they would have to increase sale prices from 60 dollars to probably 70 if not more to make a true profit and we know how well that will work. Hence it will force gamestop to file for Bankruptcy eventually and close up shop regardless if the game companies like it or not.

I have noticed because i very very rarely shop at gamestop any more that they have adopted to changing times as best as they could.
    My local game stop has taken up selling smart devices and accessories. They took down their gameboy section and consolidated it into the Wii/Wiiu section and replaced it with this new section.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree. I don't believe that many people shop at Gamestop for the new games. You can easily find better prices on new games at several other retailers.

Gamestop might have to restructure their business, but so would many of the companies. Sure Nintendo, Activision and EA can probably take to the change, but XSEED, Atlus or NISA isnt going to be able to sell the next Persona, or Phantom Brave at walmart.
    No but they'd be able to sell them on Amazon, eBay, and other popular online retailers.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by zakthedodo View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't make a system as user friendly as possible.

I think it was Sony a few years back that tried to make rip protected CD's.
    So you buy the music, but can't rip it to your collection to put on your MP3 player without a code or something.
    It didn't last very long.
    Velvet Revolver's first album had this, but there was a hidden folder in the disc where you could still copy and paste the songs onto your computer drag and drop style. Windows Media Player wouldn't import it like a normal cd. I think when iTunes came out that circumvented it and allowed people to rip it the normal way though, as iTunes isn't programmed to lock that stuff out. Those cds were out in 2004 and 2005 and the big iPod boom was somewhere around late 2005 or 2006 when the whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band craze was in full effect.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]