Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 4 Finally Officially Announced For Holiday 2013

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I am, in fact, a jerk. You'd best put me on "ignore" if you want to avoid future jerkery. Ass.
    Fair warning, this can be applied to a decent percentage of the active userbase, so if your goal is to avoid jerkery-ness, you might want to take the IHatedSega route.

Quote Originally Posted by scaleworm View Post
    Good. Clarification is needed (like this) for them to hit the ground running for this system.
    Not really needed. It's the next major Sony system. So long as the games are big and pretty, people will buy it.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Fair warning, this can be applied to a decent percentage of the active userbase, so if your goal is to avoid jerkery-ness, you might want to take the IHatedSega route.
    JSoup is correct.

Dana, let me illustrate for you the reasons for my jerkery; I have been arguing with an unwanted influx of GameFAQs kids and half-bright, entitled Internet morons in relation to the used game thing for four or five months now. This is the thread that everyone's attention is focused now, so rather than post that link in two or three basically dead threads, I posted here. You walked into the middle of a conversation you weren't a part of and attempted to assert butt hurt rights. Fair mistake, as its a public conversation, but in the future? Please think twice before attempting butt hurt.

Now, on with the thread.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fair enough. On with the thread

One of the latest tidbits I stumbled upon: http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/d...with-ps4-17691

Not really surprising. I ran into a similar issue when I got my Wii U. My original Wiimotes wouldn't work with the Wii U, so I had to pony up for a new Wii Remote Plus. No one really likes to spring for new hardware, but it's part of the cost of buying into the new console. I know a few people who are upset about it, but I don't see a huge concern since I'd assume most new games will be designed to take advantage of the new controller anyway, and you'd lose out on functionality if you tried to use a DualShock 3. The only place it would be relevant is in backwards compatibility, and with PSN games not being transferrable, nor PS3 saves, I'm don't think that's terribly important either.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like where this is going. I would have thought consoles would eventually adopt the mobile business model like Ouya and begin to scale back, but instead they're just getting bigger and bigger. 4K support? Why? What average consumer will own that kind of display within the next few years?

To be honest, I'm surprised Sony is even unveiling/releasing their next console this early. I would have thought they would just lay low and continue to live off of the PS3 for a few more years. Why the sudden jolt forward?
    Last edited by Dr. BaconStein; 02-22-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Playstation 4 Eye.

From the sounds of it, the Move should be much more accurate without cutting image quality.

As for the PlayStation 4 Eye, well, it's a much more dramatic shift compared with the predecessor. The new bar-shaped Eye, of course, works with PlayStation Move (and DualShock 4) motion control, and looks on paper as a more suitable contender against a future version of Microsoft's Kinect. Why? Well, the Eye packs dual cameras that can individually capture 1280x800 pixel RAW/YUV video at 30fps (and 640x480 at 120fps or 320x192 at 240fps) each -- these figures stand way above the existing single-lens Eye and its outdated 640x480 video capture capabilities.

Those the dual-lens Eye can observe an 85-degree diagonal viewing angle (up from the previous 75 degrees) and should have little issue perceiving depth and the location of multiple players in a living room. For audio capture, the Eye can hear a great deal due to its four integrated microphones, which could make misunderstood voice commands a thing of the past. Gamers can also log in to the PS4 with the Eye's facial-recognition software.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...er-eye-camera/
    External Dimension Approx: 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth)
    (tentative)
    Weight Approx: 183g (tentative)
    Video: Video Pixel (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
    Video Frame Rate 1280×800 pixel @ 60fps
    640×400 pixel @ 120fps
    320×192 pixel @ 240fps
    Video Format RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
    Features: Lens Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
    Capture Range 30cm~∞
    Field-of-View 85°
    Microphone 4 Channel Microphone Array
    Connection Type PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
    Cable Length Approx. 2m (tentative)

http://wololo.net/2013/02/21/sony-re...etails-ps-eye/
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Sony has largely abandoned the Move on the PS3 and the only major first party implementation of Move compatibility lately has been as an add-on feature to FPS shooters.
    I'm not really a fan of motion controls, so I somewhat agree with you. But like Frankie said, they put a lot of money into the R&D of this device. It also wasn't able to reach any sort of potential because it was both an accessory and was overshadowed by Kinect from day one. However, they have released some games recently and there are future games that still have Move capability. Whatever your opinion on Move or Kinect, Sony integrating Move into the PS4 and Microsoft more than likely integrating Kinect is a good move for both companies if you ask me.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-22-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think Sony is going to need to pack in a Move wand with each PS4. If they don't put a wand in the box, then how will developers know that each PS4 owner has on ? I'm not a hater of the Move. I got one back when it first came out, and I thought that Sports Champions was pretty good. I always thought that Sony would have a killer tennis game with their wand controller. Or maybe a killer golf game. I'm not sure that ever happened with the PS3, but hopefully it will happen with the PS4.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I think Sony is going to need to pack in a Move wand with each PS4. If they don't put a wand in the box, then how will developers know that each PS4 owner has on ? I'm not a hater of the Move. I got one back when it first came out, and I thought that Sports Champions was pretty good. I always thought that Sony would have a killer tennis game with their wand controller. Or maybe a killer golf game. I'm not sure that ever happened with the PS3, but hopefully it will happen with the PS4.
    It would be nice if they did, but they don't really have to. They can just make people buy them, like Nintendo does with the Wii U. That only comes with the new touchscreen Game Pad, no Wiimote or nunchuck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    It would be nice if they did, but they don't really have to. They can just make people buy them, like Nintendo does with the Wii U. That only comes with the new touchscreen ame Pad, no Wiimote or nunchuck.
    A little off topic - I am hoping that the PS4 doesn't go through quite as many hardware variations as recent consoles. The PS3 and Xbox seemed to have a huge list of different combinations of hard drives, compatibility etc witin 12 months of launch. I want to just buy a console and have it work. If a "slim" verson comes out at the end of life cycle, well, great. What the world doesn't need is 57 varities of PS3 within 12 months, or an Apple / Nintendo (handheld) policy of releasing hardware with comparatively minor improvements for a premium every so often (example: 3DS XL... was anyone not expecing that? Why not release it at launch.. oh.. because it is an 'improvement' that will net more cash.)

I'm also generally unimpressed when something that is fairly important is left out of the box (like a Wii-mote, or possibily the Playstation wand thing if it is that big of a deal and is used in a load of games).

I buy consoles because I want to plug something in to my TV and play. If I have to spend a small fortune on over priced additional fluff, or if there is no benefit in being an early adopter because the hardware gets improved in six months, I'll just spend my money on upgrading my graphics card and use Steam's Big Picture thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The new controller doesn't look like much a of change from the current PS3 controller. I was impressed with the lineup of games that were announced and the fact we got to see some in game footage. A price and visual of the system would've been nice though. I don't give a shit about any of this social media stuff though, it's a game console to play games, not broadcast shit to the world. I just hope Sony doesn't fuck up the price and features. At this point, I realize that any new Sony console will be at least $399. I would like to see a 500GB model at $399 at the very least. If they need to leave out backwards compatibility to keep costs down, then so be it as I don't give a shit about playing PS3 games on a PS4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Any word on Team Ico's project being slated for the PS4?
    Watch the Last Guardian be announced as a PS4 launch title lol.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    Watch the Last Guardian be announced as a PS4 launch title lol.
    goddammit. I'll have to buy one.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    The new controller doesn't look like much a of change from the current PS3 controller. I was impressed with the lineup of games that were announced and the fact we got to see some in game footage. A price and visual of the system would've been nice though. I don't give a shit about any of this social media stuff though, it's a game console to play games, not broadcast shit to the world. I just hope Sony doesn't fuck up the price and features. At this point, I realize that any new Sony console will be at least $399. I would like to see a 500GB model at $399 at the very least. If they need to leave out backwards compatibility to keep costs down, then so be it as I don't give a shit about playing PS3 games on a PS4.
    I don't think you're going to see anything under $500 from Sony this time around. The fact that they boosted the RAM to 8GB of DDR5 is awesome, but it has a wholesale price of $150-$175 and it's not going to get much cheaper between now and the Fall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    It would be nice if they did, but they don't really have to. They can just make people buy them, like Nintendo does with the Wii U. That only comes with the new touchscreen Game Pad, no Wiimote or nunchuck.
    I think this would be a huge mistake. Developers won't be able to assume that everybody that owns a PS4 has a move wand. The Wii thing is a bit different, because there are literally millions upon millions of Wii-motes floating around in the wild. The move wand isn't nearly as ubiquitous.

By the way, it's not like I'm the worlds biggest Playstation Move fan or anything, I just think that it has some nice potential, and it would be a shame if developers totally ignored it, because they can't assume that every PS4 owner has one.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I think this would be a huge mistake. Developers won't be able to assume that everybody that owns a PS4 has a move wand. The Wii thing is a bit different, because there are literally millions upon millions of Wii-motes floating around in the wild. The move wand isn't nearly as ubiquitous.

By the way, it's not like I'm the worlds biggest Playstation Move fan or anything, I just think that it has some nice potential, and it would be a shame if developers totally ignored it, because they can't assume that every PS4 owner has one.
    They're not going to pack them in the standard set, but they will likely continue to bundle them with stuff making purchase appealing like games, peripherals like Sharpshooter, etc. and if the new Playstation camera doesn't come standard with the console they'll probably bundle a wand with that at retail too.

Whatever the case may be, they're clearly NOT abandoning the hardware in the next generation, and that's a good thing. If it has nothing else going for it, I think that it's still got POTENTIAL.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want the option of not getting the camera, because I find it creepy to have a camera pointed at me all the time, and I don't have room for motion gaming in my apartment anyway.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Wasn't it stated that the Dualshock 4's sensor light incorporates Move technology? So everyone would have access to atleast one Move/navigation with the Dualshock 4, possibly more if they have any Move wands or navigation controllers left from last gen.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Wasn't it stated that the Dualshock 4's sensor light incorporates Move technology? So everyone would have access to atleast one Move/navigation with the Dualshock 4, possibly more if they have any Move wands or navigation controllers left from last gen.
    Good point. The controllers have the tech built in, so everybody will in fact have some type of Move functionality available.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not if they don't ship the camera with every SKU.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The used games being allowed thing is a lot more settling than the rumors that were going around. It actually gives people more of a choice this generation, epseically for collectors who want longevity for the system beyond its retail lifespan (we as collectors could be seeing more of a Wii U vs PS4 than a PS4 vs Durango).

Now the only one still speculated on with that rumor is the codenamed Durango Xbox. If they choose to block used games then they might be known as the "third system" this time around. Especially if they don't support Xbox 360 games and lose their already dedicated install base. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft because they've only brought very limited support of Xbox originals to the 360 then killed Xbox originals online play when they didn't really have to. They're more likely to treat their console like a PC because they've had their other foot in the PC market for years. At the same time, maybe some people would still want one so they can "play it while it lasts" and record the footage for later viewing rather than miss out on something they can't get back, if only for the exclusives.

If the PS4 can stream the previous consoles' back catalog and the Durango can't, that might give it an advantage.

All I know is that I am pretty excited because starting at the end of June I'm getting back up to $3000 a month by working 7 days a week (just working less hours in a day than I do now & the work isn't as hard), so I should be able to afford all the officially announced new game systems I'm missing: PS Vita, Wii U & PS4.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Now the only one still speculated on with that rumor is the codenamed Durango Xbox. If they choose to block used games then they might be known as the "third system" this time around.
    While it hasn't officially been announced yet I seriously doubt they would do this. Even before Sony's conference on Wednesday I said that neither would do this out right but that the tech would be there if they changed their minds later down the road(the tech is already there if they wanted to do this with the 360 and PS3 respectively). But Microsoft is not foolish enough to make their console stand out as the only one that blocks used games so don't expect to hear that announcment when they finally reveal their new console.

Especially if they don't support Xbox 360 games and lose their already dedicated install base.
    I think this is much more relevant to both systems. It's already been revealed that if you purchase a PS4 you can't play PS1, PS2, PS3 or PSN games because of the hardware change. While it's not a big deal to me(I only own one PSN game and I'll be keeping one of my PS3's) this could be a deal breaker for many who are heavily invested in their current game catologs, rather we're talking about dozens of physical games or dozens of PSN games, including the instant game collection. Sadly, I feel that this is one area where Microsoft will also disappoint their customers by telling them that their XBL online games can not carry over to the new system but I'm hoping to be wrong on this one. But it gets more interesting than that....

So far theres no word if you can even carry over your PSN account to the PS4. You have to figure that since you are losing all of your content anyway Sony may make you start over, which would again suck for those who want to keep their trophy collectiosn going on the new system. Atleast with Microsoft I know that I will be able to keep my same gamertag I've had since the original Xbox but they too might say that my achievements are not being transferred over. Of course neither has announced this is going to happen but if they are getting rid of other links to the older systems(games, downloaded movies, music, etc) you have to wonder how far it will go. Just food for thought.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.