Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Nintendo E3 Press Conferrence :(

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    Can you guys tell me what qualifies as next gen?

To me at least, the only people who are complaining about the specs of the machine are people who are gonna just bu yan Xbox, theyre just using it being weak as a way to put it down. Average people on the street dont care about that stuff, and those people dont know what the Wii U because Nintendo dropped the ball on their branding.
    They care about it when for the same price they can get an Xbox 360 or PS3 with much more diverse libraries. They will also care about it in November when for a little bit more money you can get either a PS4 or Durango that has the technical capabilities to play cutting edge console games for the next 5+ years and which have strong third party support. People know what the WiiU is. They just don't care. Maybe Nintendo will turn it around like they did the 3DS. Nobody can be sure right now and it all comes down to great games.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Nobody can be sure right now and it all comes down to great games.
    Yeah, Nintendo really isnt known for making those, especially ones that have ever sold consoles.

Im just sick of people acting like Nintendo needs to just pull the plug on the thing, like itll never ever be able to compete with the next systems to come out this year when we dont even know much about them yet.

Watch Dogs for PS4 could be a broken bug infest crap fest, and there is a very good chance that the next Final Fantasy game could suck too. So who knows how much better the PS4 is gonna be. And we dont know how bad having the Kinect camera is going to be for people who buy the next xbox and want to watch youtube videos. All this really negative energy going towards the Wii U is from fanboys who dont want to see their systems under perform to Nintendos less advanced new machine again.

Nintendo is trying to capture the hardcore gamers again with the Wii U, which theyve royally messed up with by calling it the Wii U, and people who like the Wii are just sticking with the Wii or theyre buying a new one instead. But theres still time for it to start selling a ton of consoles when the major games start rolling out..
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 04-26-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, Nintendo really isnt known for making those, especially ones that have ever sold consoles.

Im just sick of people acting like Nintendo needs to just pull the plug on the thing, like itll never ever be able to compete with the next systems to come out this year when we dont even know much about them yet.

Watch Dogs for PS4 could be a broken bug infest crap fest, and there is a very good chance that the next Final Fantasy game could suck too. So who knows how much better the PS4 is gonna be. And we dont know how bad having the Kinect camera is going to be for people who buy the next xbox and want to watch youtube videos. All this really negative energy going towards the Wii U is from fanboys who dont want to see their systems under perform to Nintendos less advanced new machine again.

Nintendo is trying to capture the hardcore gamers again with the Wii U, which theyve royally messed up with by calling it the Wii U, and people who like the Wii are just sticking with the Wii or theyre buying a new one instead. But theres still time for it to start selling a ton of consoles when the major games start rolling out..
    We actually know quite a bit about the technical capabilities of the PS4 and even some about the Xbox Durango. They are significantly more powerful than the WiiU in every technical aspect. The bigger problem for Nintendo is that third parties will have to make a choice about whether to devote resources to what is essentially a last generation platform in the WiiU since the PS4 and Xbox Durango are likely to have pretty similar capabilities and both are based on existing PC architectures. Yes, Nintendo will deliver the AAA titles they always do, but in a world where younger gamers have access to iPads and smartphones and lots of other gaming options, it's going to be harder and harder for Nintendo to make a profit.

I have to agree with Michael Pachter's assessment that the WiiU is basically just another version of the 3DS where the top screen has been replaced with a TV and its tough to convince people to buy a second version of something they already have, especially if there aren't any must-have games for the console. I wouldn't count Nintendo out, but sooner or later they are going to have to make a decision about what's working and what isn't and perhaps that will mean pulling the plug on the WiiU and releasing hardware that can compete on the same technical level as the PS4 and Durango while still providing all the great Nintendo first party games so many gamers know and love.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many 8 year olds have smart phones? The Wii U is a home console, its gonna have AAA games you cant get on a tablet or smart phone.

And if Microsoft applies the patent to spy on how many people watch copyrighted material using the Kinect camera, then no ones gonna buy the 720.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

How many 8 year olds have smart phones? The Wii U is a home console, its gonna have AAA games you cant get on a tablet or smart phone.

And if Microsoft applies the patent to spy on how many people watch copyrighted material using the Kinect camera, then no ones gonna buy the 720.
    You would be shocked at how many 8 year olds have both an iPad and a smartphone or at least daily access to one or both. I know that of my five closest friends with kids, all but one have given their kids under 10 at least access to an iPad for playing games and two of the kids have their own iPhones at ages 9 and 7. Several of the kids also have iPods that they use for music, video and games. Not every kid wants to spend hours playing "AAA" games whatever that means. Many kids spend hours doing all sorts of different activities from playing outside to taking classes like swimming and sports to watching TV to surfing the Internet. Just like adults, kids have more and more entertainment options today than ever before.

Your point about Microsoft is ridiculous. That patent was likely obtained for very specific research activities like television ratings where the people being watched would have provided consent. The PS4 has a camera as well. Neither Microsoft nor Sony is going to watch people over a camera without their consent. The lawsuits that would fly over privacy would kill both companies.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...atent-snooping

I think those households with kids having smart phones and tablets doesnt speak for the vast majority of people in the world. And if kids dont want to play the AAA games on nintendo consoles then they probably dont want to play the ones on any other console. Unlike adults, kids are kids, and their parents filter what they do, and a parent would let them play Mario but probably not just surf the internet. If a kid is using their smart phone when they need to make a call, then that kid is going to be upset, and its just simpler if the kid has the console to play with and the phone be for the adult to use as a phone. Parents let kids have video games so theyre happy and focused on something and theyre out of parents hair.

Your argument about kids having more options than video games goes better talking about older peopel who have to get jobs, have girl friends, and other things, theyre the ones who shouldnt be playing video games on consoles. They do still, and so do kids, so you dont need to go down that route.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...atent-snooping

I think those households with kids having smart phones and tablets doesnt speak for the vast majority of people in the world. And if kids dont want to play the AAA games on nintendo consoles then they probably dont want to play the ones on any other console. Unlike adults, kids are kids, and their parents filter what they do, and a parent would let them play Mario but probably not just surf the internet. If a kid is using their smart phone when they need to make a call, then that kid is going to be upset, and its just simpler if the kid has the console to play with and the phone be for the adult to use as a phone. Parents let kids have video games so theyre happy and focused on something and theyre out of parents hair.

Your argument about kids having more options than video games goes better talking about older peopel who have to get jobs, have girl friends, and other things, theyre the ones who shouldnt be playing video games on consoles. They do still, and so do kids, so you dont need to go down that route.
    I'm guessing that you are not a parent yourself. As such, you have no idea what younger kids do and do not have access to today. I am a parent and I know lots of other parents. All of the parents I know allow their kids to surf the Internet with supervision and most of them allow their kids to play with iPads and iPods and in some cases have given them their own iPads and iPhones or iPods. I also regularly see kids playing games on these devices when I take my kids shopping or to their activities. Lots of kids also have 3DS or similar handheld gaming systems. My kids have a WiiU, but almost none of their friends do and frankly, a lot of parents I know are gamers also, so their kids have access to a PS3 or Xbox 360 rather than a WiiU. This isn't 1995 and the world has massively changed with ready access to all sorts of entertainment. Nintendo has a tough road ahead and it may just be too little too late.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Nintendo has already announced that one game needs to be sold with each Wii U to turn a profit, so Nintendo is going to make profit whether they sell 20 million consoles or 100 million consoles, the difference is how much. Anyone with common sense knows Nintendo isn't going to drop the console and they also know that this won't be Nintendo's last console generation.

People saying the Wii U has no games isn't saying the system is going to die, because there are games coming out in the future, just saying that there is currently nothing available that they're interested in. Saying that the Wii U isn't revolutionary because it's a consolized DS is true, and while the Wii wasn't revolutionary, the motion control is what sold the system. Then finally, the Wii U is a Nintendo branded PS360 and that's the reason people say the Wii U is not next gen.

Nintendo is going to eventually bounce back once they get more games out there and start getting more support, but until then just be expected to hear the same thing, because it's not going to change anytime soon. As I've mentioned above, Nintendo fans are going through the same thing Vita owners are going through. The Vita is doomed, etc, etc. Neither developer is going to drop their console and as long as they turn a profit per console, then the system isn't going to be seen as a failure.

Watch Dogs for PS4 could be a broken bug infest crap fest, and there is a very good chance that the next Final Fantasy game could suck too. So who knows how much better the PS4 is gonna be. And we dont know how bad having the Kinect camera is going to be for people who buy the next xbox and want to watch youtube videos.
    Maybe. UbiSoft has released a lot of bug ridden games so I wouldn't put it past them. I'm interested in Watch Dogs though. It's a GTA clone with what looks to be a great gameplay system and graphics that are better than Uncharted 3. Who knows if it'll be a disappointment or not though. It's been shown in the past two E3s so it's had more than two years of development time and there are still another potentially six months to go for release so they still have more time to work on it and iron the bugs out.

As a Final Fantasy fan, I've lost faith that Square Enix Japan can actually make good games anymore. Their best games that haven't been remakes have been either average or ever so slightly above average. Unfortunately, below average seems par for the course with Square Enix now days. If they didn't buy out all these western developers, I'd probably say they've been one of this gens worse developers when it comes to quality entertainment.

All this really negative energy going towards the Wii U is from fanboys who dont want to see their systems under perform to Nintendos less advanced new machine again.
    I bash games that are both first and third party on my preferred platforms, so I couldn't care less if my preferred system underperforms as long as I'm receiving good games. I'm buying a Wii U and it's not my preferred console because in the future there are going to be games I'm actually interested in. I'm not like the Wii U owners who bought it day one with nothing on the console though. Why would I buy a Wii U when I'm only interested in Super Mario Bros U and kind of interested in Zombie U, but absolutely nothing else for months to come? Instead of wasting my money on the Wii U, because as of right now it is infact a waste. I'll wait like I did when purchasing the 3DS, although I was pissed when they announced the XL version a week later. But I bought the 3DS when there were a good amount of games I was actually interested in on the console as well as announcements of more to come. Once Super Smash Bros and Xenoblade comes out on the Wii U, then I'll probably get it, because I know I'm going to play the system a lot during that time, and hopefully by then there are other games I'm interested aside from the ones that are already out, and even if there's not, there are still my Wii games I can play since I held off on buying a Wii in hopes the Wii U had bc.

Gamers don't care whether it's called the Wii U or not. People who aren't idiots also know the difference between the Wii and Wii U just like they know the difference between a DS and 3DS. Gamers care about games, period. The Wii U currently doesn't have much of an offering and that's why it's not selling.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Gamers care about games, period. The Wii U currently doesn't have much of an offering and that's why it's not selling.
    There are people like me out there that cares about the system to a specific point, that point being 'what am I using to play the game'. Generally speaking, if I find a game I'm interested in, and for the sake of argument let's assume I have access to all three current systems, I have to consider that I'm going to have a different experience depending on the system I play it on due to the differences in control. Which basically means I'm making blanket assumptions before I even get the game, sometimes before I even get a system. A Wii/WiiU version of a game is going to force me to use that clunky ass motion capture garbage, a 360 version of a game is going to force me to use the 360 controller, that clunky fat fuck of a thing and a PS3 version of a game is going to force me to use that lovely, comfortable controller layout that I've adored since the PS1 days.

System matters, maybe not for the right reasons and maybe not even all that much or to only a small number of people, but it matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

^What I meant by that is exclusives. Doesn't matter how many good games are on the system if they're all multiconsole, and if the game is on the PS3, I'd buy that version unless the PS3 version is really bad, like Skyrim or Dead Island Riptide. I did buy Dead Island on the PS3, but that was a mistake with how bad the framerate and screen tearing was. Riptide has the same issues on the PS3 since they used the exact same framework when building on the game.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't see that it makes much of a difference, really. A game that is exclusive for the WiiU means that I have to play it exclusively with motion control nonsense. If I object to the way the system makes me play games, then the offerings don't matter much.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I don't see that it makes much of a difference, really. A game that is exclusive for the WiiU means that I have to play it exclusively with motion control nonsense. If I object to the way the system makes me play games, then the offerings don't matter much.
    Not sure about your reiteration of motion control on the Wii U. This isn't the Wii we are talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Not all games require the use of motion control, and like ZP3 mentioned, the Wii U games don't require motion control at all. You can use the tablet or the Wii U Pro controller.