Thread: Information on 3 prototype games for snes

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Information on 3 prototype games for snes

I posted earlier about the Lufia prototype I have, and am currently playing it through to find any differences (may take a while). I also have come into posession of 3 more Taito Protos. They are: The Ninja Warriors, Space Invaders and Bust a Move and would to love to know any more information on previously found prototypes of these games before selling them. All I know of is the value of these games as they are original releases, however I am quickly learning that the value in these games is finding the differences in it and the original release. I will post pictures later today, but all 3 have the similar sticker label (game name, taito label).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The quickest way to find differences is to compare the binaries of the prototype and the final version (i.e. dump the game with a Retrode). The vast majority of prototypes are identical to final, or so close to final that the differences are subtle. If you play the game for five minutes and see no obvious differences, chances are this is the case. A good example is my analysis of a prototype of Itadaki Street 2. The prototype dated to 3 days before the final build, and though there were some chunks of the binary were different from the final version, these changes did not affect in the playable game in any way.

As for the other titles, here is what I have in my archives:

The Ninja Warriors - a guy on Nintendo Age has another copy that he found late last year.

Space Invaders - A prototype of this game was on Ebay in 2008, with the same sort of label as The Ninja Warriors. Sold for 34.83 Euros. Another one was found by someone on the Assembler Games forum (see link below).

Bust a Move - I don't have any prototypes of this game in my archives.

It seems these Taito prototypes with generic strip labels are pretty common. For instance, there is a guy on the Assembler Games forum that found a few of them a couple of weeks ago.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=badinsults;1966334]The quickest way to find differences is to compare the binaries of the prototype and the final version (i.e. dump the game with a Retrode)

I looked this up and saw that it was a bit pricey. I know this is asking alot since i'm unaware of how these games were made into roms prior to retrograde being available, but is there a way I can do this without spending that kind of money. Any assistance would be most welcomed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ITM_247 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    The quickest way to find differences is to compare the binaries of the prototype and the final version (i.e. dump the game with a Retrode)

I looked this up and saw that it was a bit pricey. I know this is asking alot since i'm unaware of how these games were made into roms prior to retrograde being available, but is there a way I can do this without spending that kind of money. Any assistance would be most welcomed.
    Well, one option is to mail them to someone who has a dumper. I don't know where you live, but I can arrange someone to dump them for you and mail them back to you (as I know many people who have such devices). Might be cheaper than getting a Retrode. I can even analyze the ROMs for you, if you like, provided I can put articles up on my website. Send me a private message.
    Last edited by badinsults; 05-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them