Thread: XboxOne(NineEightFour)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default XboxOne(NineEightFour)

Xbox1984. That's what I'm calling Microsoft's new "console."

The idea of an always online Kinect sensor viewing, listening, and reporting this information back to several hundred thousand servers scares the shit out of me. Are you guys okay with this? Because I'm sure not. You're essentially inviting Big Brother into your house to monitor everything that goes on in your living room. Why aren't more people making a big deal out of this??? It would be one thing if this were an optional accessory like the current Kinect, but it's not. You can't operate the next Xbox without it. So you really have no choice. If you want to play the next generation of Xbox games, you have to sacrifice your privacy and anonymity to do it. Anyone else feeling a little Orwellian paranoia over this, or am I overreacting?
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some group of hackers will be able to spy on people. Its gonna happen, just a matter of time. Hell, it could be a Microsoft employee who does it just because he can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

clever girl....

I like the title of the thread

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotterpop View Post
    The idea of an always online Kinect sensor viewing, listening, and reporting this information back to several hundred thousand servers scares the shit out of me. Are you guys okay with this? Because I'm sure not. You're essentially inviting Big Brother into your house to monitor everything that goes on in your living room. Why aren't more people making a big deal out of this??? It would be one thing if this were an optional accessory like the current Kinect, but it's not. You can't operate the next Xbox without it. So you really have no choice. If you want to play the next generation of Xbox games, you have to sacrifice your privacy and anonymity to do it. Anyone else feeling a little Orwellian paranoia over this, or am I overreacting?
    It would bother me, but I don't know about most people. People use Facebook sharing their real names and detailed personal information with strangers voluntarily, I'm not sure if people would have a problem sharing their information with a company.

When people are replying to some classifieds I have listed, their emails are now linked to their Facebook pages or Twitter. If you're a stranger to me why do I need to see a real picture of you or your family, what TV shows or movies you're watching, what your interests or hobbies are, what stores or restaurants you like, what athletes or sports teams you like, etc. To me that's too much to share with random people when you're using your real name.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It would bother me, but I don't know about most people. People use Facebook sharing their real names and detailed personal information with strangers voluntarily, I'm not sure if people would have a problem sharing their information with a company.

When people are replying to some classifieds I have listed, their emails are now linked to their Facebook pages or Twitter. If you're a stranger to me why do I need to see a real picture of you or your family, what TV shows or movies you're watching, what your interests or hobbies are, what stores or restaurants you like, what athletes or sports teams you like, etc. To me that's too much to share with random people when you're using your real name.
    Um, theres privacy settings on facebook people use so you dont know everything about them. Theres a big difference between simple information like what movies you like and who youre related to, and what youre saying in house and other things the Xbox will see and hear. Its really not that detailed, and it really depends on the person on facebook what they share. What stuff do you share on there? You can have your posts/status updates only available to your friends, like I do. The stuff in the second paragraph isnt that big of a deal, not liek youre reading their minds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Um, theres privacy settings on facebook people use so you dont know everything about them. Theres a big difference between simple information like what movies you like and who youre related to, and what youre saying in house and other things the Xbox will see and hear. Its really not that detailed, and it really depends on the person on facebook what they share. What stuff do you share on there? You can have your posts/status updates only available to your friends, like I do. The stuff in the second paragraph isnt that big of a deal, not liek youre reading their minds.
    I'm just saying my personal experience. Plenty of people reply to some of my ads, I can click on their Facebook links, I can read everything that's posted. Not everyone uses privacy settings, which is my point that a large number of people don't care about privacy and won't care about XBox listening to you. You don't think it's a big deal for someone to know your interests in detail and know people who are close to you? Learn about social engineering, it's easy to find out real personal information if you know some basics about someone and some of their contacts.

You think the new XBox can read minds? What are you worried about it overhearing? If you're that bothered, just unplug the thing when you're not using it. Simple enough. Just as easy as privacy settings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

<Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I'm writing on a laptop with a camera pointed right at my face. My cell phone has two cameras to where no matter how I place it, it can see me.

I fail to see how Kinect is any different or a more logical device to hack if people want to peer into my life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm also making this post on a laptop with a camera. The difference, though, is that if I put a piece of duct tape over the lens (which I do) the laptop doesn't stop functioning. Microsoft's insistence on the always-on Kinect being a part of the new Xbox is disgusting to me, and it's a big reason why I won't be buying one.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, nobody is forcing you to buy one of these things.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    I'm writing on a laptop with a camera pointed right at my face. My cell phone has two cameras to where no matter how I place it, it can see me.

I fail to see how Kinect is any different or a more logical device to hack if people want to peer into my life.

Well, in regards to the cellphone, normally the cellphone is laying on a table with the camera either aimed downwards at the table or up at the ceiling. Or, the camera of the cellphone is giving a great picture of the inside of a pants or jacket pocket. My laptop is older, and doesn't have a camera built into it, so I can't really comment on that.

Regardless, the Kinect is somewhat unique in that it's basically your TV staring back at you. It has a wide angle view, and it's basically staring back at your sofas and chairs and everybody sitting in them, or standing in front of them. It's taking a large view of your living room area and basically analyzing everything that goes on inside that space. It's constantly scanning every word that is said, looking for a voice command to activate it.

It's a little creepy if you really think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    You know, nobody is forcing you to buy one of these things.

True.. But if they show a next-gen Crackdown 3 that looks absolutely amazing at e3, it's the equivalent of them putting a gun to my head and forcing me to buy it.

Yeah, I know it's a bit sad that one game could cause me to need this thing, but I will say that the amount of money that I spend on gaming won't change. If I can't buy my games at a discount, or used, then I will simply purchase way fewer games than I normally I would. In a given year, I probably buy about 15 games, and with the Xbox One, they will be lucky if I buy about 4 or 5 games for the whole year. That's the downside to their draconian measures. There will be a segment of the population that adapts to this New World Order by just buying fewer games overall.
    Last edited by WCP; 05-27-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You think the new XBox can read minds? What are you worried about it overhearing? If you're that bothered, just unplug the thing when you're not using it. Simple enough. Just as easy as privacy settings.
    Im not going to buy it. Im just pointing out that this thing goes way beyond facebook or social media.

And this is something also as scary, if not scarier. Go 23 seconds into the video.

Last edited by JakeM; 05-28-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    My God, it's full of spies!
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I read online you can effectively disable while keeping kinect on the thing by messing with the wires going to it. I imagine I could see privacy people doing that so it can get around being spied upon if that ends up working out.

Thanks for the topic name, caught it right away and it gave me a laugh.

The camera is a problem, but also the checking every 24hours to see if you're online is obtrusive too, it's a snitch box. You can't share or loan out stuff anymore unless you're fine giving people your login/pass and personal info (banking too?) tied to it which would effectively lock you out on your system at the same time if they're on. Of course you have the crippled used too that they're now trying to explain and not at the same time saying only registered stores who can tie to their network can sell used, and every game will send part of the profits straight to MS and more profits to the game developer too so they'll know what you have and don't have every day (tied to the activation) and with rates that'll really screw gamestop and the rest. You know, since games are so unique that used sales somehow have to be gimped considering they really don't do shit to any other form of media or cars. I doubt used music shops or carmax have to give back a cut to the RIAA, X artist or Ford/GM. Bleh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gaming is transferring to a rental based setup. IMO It's because of piracy.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Im not going to buy it. Im just pointing out that this thing goes way beyond facebook or social media.
    I'm not going to be buying it either, I agree that I don't like the concept of it watching you or listening to what you're saying. I'm not sure if it would even send that information anywhere for any purpose but I'd rather do without it.

I just meant that most people probably wouldn't care either way about it, meaning the average consumers who would be buying these. Not the dedicated fans or those good with computers who read up about this thing online.

The main problem people seem to have about this is with Microsoft getting private information from you, not that they could be sharing that info with other companies. With Facebook privacy settings it keeps other people from seeing your info publicly, but the company would still have access to everything you provided to them that's on their servers. Privacy settings don't keep them from having access to your content so it's basically the same thing. Anything you post to Facebook belongs to Facebook and they can do whatever they want with it if they choose to. I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, no way would I bother with those.

It's from a few years back but does anyone remember this?
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13739_3-9854409-46.html

"Facebook may...provide developers access to...your name, your profile picture, your gender, your birthday, your hometown location...your current location...your political view, your activities, your interests...your relationship status, your dating interests, your relationship interests, your summer plans, your Facebook user network affiliations, your education history, your work history,...copies of photos in your Facebook Site photo albums...a list of user IDs mapped to your Facebook friends."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You really need to be on Facebook to understand how it works. I mean, its stuff you tell a person on the first date.

your dating interests, your relationship interests, your summer plans, your Facebook user network affiliations, your education history, your work history,
    You dont list your dating interests, unless they mean the gender seeking answer, which is a male/female/both/other thing.

summer plans, no....unless you write a status saying youre going to the cabin and lake for the week.

your education history is just there as a fill out of where you went to school, same with the job history.

your current location is just what city you live in, not actually where you are right now.

to do a facebook app you did agree for it to see who your friends were, which before facebook had a privacy setting for it, anyone could see. it was just there for ad placements.

The only way for facebook to be as scary as the xbox one or as youre comparing the two, would be for our private messages to become as public as our status updates, which again theres settings. Youre reading far to into people sharing basic watercooler talk subjects, on facebook, with actual private things.
    Last edited by JakeM; 05-28-2013 at 01:44 PM.