Thread: The PS2 (2013 and beyond)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The PS2 (2013 and beyond)

As some probably know Gamestop stopped taking in PS2 stuff on June 1st so I decided it was a good time to find some deals.

I was able to score alot of the dance pad/microphone and buzzer games brand new in box marked down to almost liquidation prices for my daughter.

That said, I never really owned a PS2 until recently, got a slim for the PSOne trick and it comes with an ethernet port.

Basically can you really do anything online with it anymore or are most of the services shut down. Can it be used for HTPC type purposes like the Xbox could? Any thing cool you can do with it online these days?

I know I could google some of this stuff but I know alot of people know the insides and outs of it really well around here along with giving me a more balanced answer.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 07-03-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) zakthedodo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the PS2 is shut down maybe outside of maybe some sports titles and really popular titles.

It's still my most current console because I found being a generation behind is much cheaper and the great games are known and the lousy ones known as well.

If the PS3 is still supported when the PS4 comes out I might give on line play a go, but as far as I know and have read, Sony had discontinued the ps2 online support.
    I'm certain someone has a more in depth answer but from what I've read over the last month it's certainly not a promising option.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zakthedodo View Post
    ... I found being a generation behind is much cheaper and the great games are known and the lousy ones known as well.
    You and I think alike, my friend. Over the past year or so I've bought a ton of PS2 and Xbox games for pennies on the dollar. It's easy to research which ones are good, and the supply is so plentiful since most people have forgotten about that generation. Plus it was a popular generation so they printed a ton of everything.

As for the OP's questions. I don't know anyone who still plays PS2 games online. I imagine all the servers are off, and I don't know if there's any way to "reroute" to an active server. If you did get on there, you may not find that many people to play with anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    You and I think alike, my friend. Over the past year or so I've bought a ton of PS2 and Xbox games for pennies on the dollar. It's easy to research which ones are good, and the supply is so plentiful since most people have forgotten about that generation. Plus it was a popular generation so they printed a ton of everything.

As for the OP's questions. I don't know anyone who still plays PS2 games online. I imagine all the servers are off, and I don't know if there's any way to "reroute" to an active server. If you did get on there, you may not find that many people to play with anyway.
    This is a pretty recently updated list of PS2 online titles still working (as of sometime in March): http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum....php?f=29&t=17

Not much left and some stuff requires special instructions to access, but it's possible. No idea what games that are still working have a viable community though...
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS2 is the last of the "no firmware update crap" consoles.

Having said that, I'm trying to sell about 20-30% of my 300 or so PS2 titles to make way for PS3 [after the PS4 comes out].

Wow, lot of us are a generation behind huh?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    got a slim for the PSOne trick
    What trick is that?

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

You can also do the 007 Agent Under Fire trick as well, which is what I did. Essentially, it's a way to softmod your PS2 to be able to launch custom apps. Also, there are plenty of games that still work online, but the most popular is the SOCOM series. Unfortunately, Zipper Interactive shut down the Sony servers, so the only way to access the game now is through Xlink Kai.