Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for Super Famicom!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Over $100 I believe if the label isn't wrecked.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you must have it buy it off of YJA, its only about 2-4000 yen (25-45 USD) but the three Famicom releases can probably be had for even less...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking about super famicom I hear the games are much cheaper. Is this true and where should I buy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Man I'm glad this topic was brought up. For the longest time I wanted the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, but after reading what everyone had to say, it sounds like a waste of money and I'm better off to keep playing it on my NES.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just finished NG1 on the trilogy cart. Is it just me or is Jashin harder in this version? I never have trouble with it in the NES game, but it kept kicking my ass on the SNES version. Maybe I was just sucking, but it seemed like those swirly things it shoots out were targeted at me.

Also, it's kind of funny how we're talking about 16 bit Ninja Gaiden and no one's mentioned the PC Engine port.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I just finished NG1 on the trilogy cart. Is it just me or is Jashin harder in this version? I never have trouble with it in the NES game, but it kept kicking my ass on the SNES version. Maybe I was just sucking, but it seemed like those swirly things it shoots out were targeted at me.

Also, it's kind of funny how we're talking about 16 bit Ninja Gaiden and no one's mentioned the PC Engine port.
    Having grown up on the NES version, I bought the PCE version about 2 years ago and tried really hard to like it, but couldn't. The controls on the NES version felt perfect, the PCE version is a bit off and just didn't do it for me. I also like the NES music better and found the choppy PCE scrolling to be a bit distracting.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still not preferable over the NES version. The outright rewritten music isn't as good, it has it's own slew of graphics issues (The very first level's scrolling background, ouch!), and, from what I've played, there are many times when the actual gameplay feels off, even if ever so slightly.

It gets points for re-doing the cutscenes, though, with extra details and animations here and there. Certain scenes are better or worse off for it, but overall it's one detail that actually makes the PC-Engine version notable. Combined with the redone music, you at least feel that it wasn't so phoned in.

Thankfully someone's uploaded a video of gameplay for my convenience to refer to.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Honestly, the Trilogy would've been worth it if only they had fixed the restart points so they weren't so bullshit.

You should NOT have to replay all of Act 6 just because you died on the boss.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic View Post
    Speaking about super famicom I hear the games are much cheaper. Is this true and where should I buy?
    The SFC version of NGT in particular? No, it's not significantly cheaper.
    I don't think the FC versions are much cheaper either. III is getting to be expensive on NES, but the FC version is also increasing in value, due to the less crazy difficulty.

If you mean SFC games in general, RPGs and puzzle games tend to be cheap, but more action-oriented genres (platform, beat-em-up and shooter) are still usually expensive for the better games.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    The SFC version of NGT in particular? No, it's not significantly cheaper.
    I don't think the FC versions are much cheaper either. III is getting to be expensive on NES, but the FC version is also increasing in value, due to the less crazy difficulty.

If you mean SFC games in general, RPGs and puzzle games tend to be cheap, but more action-oriented genres (platform, beat-em-up and shooter) are still usually expensive for the better games.
    Yeah, via ebay prices. You can get the SFC game off yahoo japan for about $25-45 and the Famicom games are mega cheap as well, I is like a 6 dollar game, II is about the same as I, and III is about $10-15. Ive learned my lesson, find a contact in Japan and you have no idea how much youll save.

Insert Coin (Level 0) DaddyMulk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Going by that clip I'd say the music is definitely off.
    The interesting thing about the music in NGT is that it sort of restores the lost channels of some of the tracks from NG1, albeit in a crappy way. We all know this track, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRpcM...F2BC52&index=3

...but did you know that the version on the Ninja Ryukenden OST has a couple more channels?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcbxU...Oz0-DqtnoblBcZ

...which brings us to the NGT version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLvN09CF1p4

There are a few other tracks on the OST that have more to them than the FC/NES versions, and this extra material was brought over to the SNES version. It's just a shame they weren't a little better at their selection of instruments/tempo settings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

If the price wasn't so obnoxiously high I would consider buying it. However, it's nowhere near worth what morons are paying for it considering it's shortcomings. In the end I would rather play the originals anyhow.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Yeah, via ebay prices. You can get the SFC game off yahoo japan for about $25-45 and the Famicom games are mega cheap as well, I is like a 6 dollar game, II is about the same as I, and III is about $10-15. Ive learned my lesson, find a contact in Japan and you have no idea how much youll save.
    Pretty sure Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for Super FamiCom does not cost $25-$45 on YAJ. Cheapest I've seen a loose cart for is ~Y5000 and ~10,000 for a boxed one (there is a boxed one currently for about that price, the only one available on the site).

If you know a place to get them for the prices you're citing, do let interested parties know so they can buy.

The port is trash, though, and isn't worth the money unless you're a collector.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's probably just that the PCE port isn't as well known, at least outside of Japan. I didn't even know it existed until a few months ago. Meanwhile NGT, I rented at Blockbuster.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Strange they didn't even release that on Virtual Console. The game already has an English, and even Chinese, translation (accessible by entering a code on the title screen. They could've probably just changed the default language).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    It's probably just that the PCE port isn't as well known, at least outside of Japan. I didn't even know it existed until a few months ago. Meanwhile NGT, I rented at Blockbuster.
    This is true, a lot of people have no idea Ninja Gaiden was ported to PCE.

Did you also know it was ported to Game Gear and Lynx, and the Lynx is actually a arcade port?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The GG/SMS version is a different game, made by Sega. I haven't played it but I hear it's a pretty easy game and not that great.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    The GG/SMS version is a different game, made by Sega. I haven't played it but I hear it's a pretty easy game and not that great.
    Clarify which? The GG and SMS each had a different Ninja Gaiden Game.

SMS:

GG:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHoPEgl85iE