Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's Official! Older Is Just Better.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wtf is this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I never got a console at launch, ever. I always waited primarily for a larger number of games to roll out. Therefore I often missed the hardware failure issues.
    So true, let the early adopters suffer through the growing pains of new consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEliteGamer View Post
    Wtf is this?
    It's time travel to your personal hell where morals rule with an iron fist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goob47 View Post
    First too much shovelware is injected into the market (crappy FPS games that are the same freaking thing every time).
    I watch Rich from ReviewtechUSA and whenever he does a discussion video with a FPS in the background, I usually can't tell one from the other. I have a hard time understanding why games like COD Ghosts are so popular. The same people decry the annual sports updates but will gleefully buy up the latest lame FPS update like there's some huge difference. Run around like an idiot shooting people as gorily as possible while other 10 years old f-bomb you through your headset. Yea, fun times.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I watch Rich from ReviewtechUSA and whenever he does a discussion video with a FPS in the background, I usually can't tell one from the other. I have a hard time understanding why games like COD Ghosts are so popular. The same people decry the annual sports updates but will gleefully buy up the latest lame FPS update like there's some huge difference. Run around like an idiot shooting people as gorily as possible while other 10 years old f-bomb you through your headset. Yea, fun times.
    It's the same reason people still play lazer tag or play paintball or shoot airsoft. It's a competitive multiplayer experience that lets players do things in a safe gaming environment that they would never do in the real world. While not every FPS is brilliant IMHO, there are some great ones and even some classic ones like the Bioshock series, Half Life, Golden Eye, etc...Just because you don't like FPS games and can't recognize the differences between them doesn't mean they are worthless or not fun.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The OP makes some good points, but I'm having a ton of fun playing the PS4 and WiiU. We should appreciate the kinds of games we get to play today. That being said, what gets on my nerves are the updates that you get prompted to run. I miss the days of turning on a system and being able to play within five seconds.

Some older consoles did have technical issues at launch. I remember having to return my Sega CD to the store because it "ate" my Alice in Chains CD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It's the same reason people still play lazer tag
    People still play lazer tag? I thought that died out in the 90's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I remember having to return my Sega CD to the store because it "ate" my Alice in Chains CD.
    Gotta be the first time a sega cd has actually done something useful

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    People still play lazer tag? I thought that died out in the 90's
    Nope. Ultrazone and a few other chains are still around and while I haven't taken the kids in a year or so, the last time we went on a Saturday afternoon, it was packed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think everyone who got into collecting did it primarily for two reasons

a.They didn't get to play the games they wanted to play as kids because of financial reasons. They have the resources to make it happen now.

b.They are trying to relive a feeling that the particular game or system offered them at one point in their life.

I am guilty of both and in the end I realized after a certain point there is no going back. You can't have the same feeling someone had for say Earthbound unless you played it when it came out as a child and before being exposed to newer technology in gaming. Some games just hit a chord at the right time and can't again. Some will disagree with me on this yet alot of collectors buy into a nostalgia hype for certain games because of either positive experiences and intangibles that made the game personal to them because of a life event that was going on or a perfect storm of good vibes in their life when they played the game.

There are people with large collections that have backlogs of games they want to play but never even got around to it and eventually just sold them and embraced other things because they never got what they wanted out of gaming as adults. A FULL return to childhood or something along those lines. They tried to relive someone else's gaming life and that never seems to work out from my experience.

I guess as a guy that grew up on the NES and who is now 30 I have seen the evolution of gaming to what it was to what it is today and yet I think that we should let a new generation of gamers create their own identity and not try to force ours on them. They are playing games for the same reason we use to. To have fun and have good memories we can look back on it one day in appreciation for what we were blessed with at one time in our lives.

Finally, I think its time for alot of retro collectors to try to create new memories instead of trying to recreate what happened in your life 20 years ago. Find games that YOU can make personal for yourself as an adult even its some random PS2 game you never heard of. That said, don't try to play games because a kid lived and breathed a certain game when he/she was 12 years old and now tries to convince you that you will have the same experience he or she did. Its your experience that matters in the end. They got theirs so get yours.

This is my last post at DigitPress and I had fun the last 10 years sharing it with you guys while getting to read the comments from a large amount of high quality individuals. A new gaming chapter of my life now begins and I hope everyone gets the most enjoyment possible from this generation of gaming.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 11-25-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    I think everyone who got into collecting did it primarily for two reasons

a.They didn't get to play the games they wanted to play as kids because of financial reasons. They have the resources to make it happen now.

b.They are trying to relive a feeling that the particular game or system offered them at one point in their life.

I am guilty of both and in the end I realized after a certain point there is no going back. They tried to relive someone else's gaming life and that never seems to work out from my experience.

... I think that we should let a new generation of gamers create their own identity and not try to force ours on them.

That said, don't try to play games because a kid lived and breathed a certain game when he/she was 12 years old and now tries to convince you that you will have the same experience he or she did. Its your experience that matters in the end. They got theirs so get yours.
    You make it sound like a bad thing.

Believe it or not, I actually can re-create the feeling I had when I played these games back in the day. So -- for me -- it works.

Having said that, I also play modern games. There's nothing wrong with experiencing both old and new games.

I agree that we should let the current generation enjoy their time gaming. I'm right there with them. I don't try to eclipse their gaming experiences; I simply introduce them to the old stuff. If they dig it, then great. If not, great too. There are only so many free hours in a week.

Finally, I have no problem playing games on the referral of someone else's fond memories of a game that I might have missed the first time around. I've discovered a lot of great titles that way.

Happy trails... wherever it is that your attention will be turned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Cougarlife.com

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sothy For This Useful Post:

§ Gideon § (03-10-2018)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    I think that we should let a new generation of gamers create their own identity and not try to force ours on them. They are playing games for the same reason we use to. To have fun and have good memories we can look back on it one day in appreciation for what we were blessed with at one time in our lives.
    That's always been my outlook too. We had our generation, let them have theirs. Are we going to force Voltron and He-Man on them, because we don't care for what cartoons are nowadays as well?

Finally, I think its time for alot of retro collectors to try to create new memories instead of trying to recreate what happened in your life 20 years ago. Find games that YOU can make personal for yourself as an adult even its some random PS2 game you never heard of.
    In my case, I didn't quit post-4th gen because of nostalgia. I did so because I simply just don't care for what video games have transformed into(for example, if I never see another FMV for as long as I live, I'll be happy). Meanwhile, I can still find enjoyment out of 4th gen and prior. One can make plenty of new memories, because there are still a bunch of undiscovered titles, to the individual, in any remotely successful console's library.