Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Goodwill Problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Man, I scored today. I found a TMNT Turtles in Tile for $4.99. Loose, but the cart is clean other than the yellow price sticker. I need to remove it, but I'll take a picture first to prove it.
    Nice at auctions it often go's for more TMNT IV has that demand as of late.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I visited my 2 local Goodwill stores this morning and one was littered with Xbox and PS2 sports titles and a couple random Genesis sports games that were in an area not by the other games. They had a disgusting looking SNES that looked like it had been barfed on by 10 different people and a few first gen Xbox consoles and that was about it. The other store had a ton of DS and GBA loose games and actually had a red Wii console, but they wanted way too much for it ($90 I think). Waste of a trip to both.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    pulled a decent haul from my latest goodwill trip. hit a few stores. like i said earlier mostly gw is great for retro computer stuff but I did find some none pc stuff. picked up a timex sinclair 1000, tandy trs-80 model 100 and a tandy COCO 3 for about $8 total. found a boxed copy of the neverhood for the PC which is a rarer pc game but unfortunately though unsurprisingly the game was either donated not in the box or someone stole it rather then pay the $3. anyways I explained the game was missing but asked if i could have the box and papers and they agreed so maybe I'll come across the game in a jewel case one day. not to much on the console front though. picked up a pilot wings 2 for SNES and also surprisingly Loom for the tg-16 CD. it was missing manual but not a bad score for $2
    Totally off topic, but I haven't seen you in a thread I followed in a while.... I did just randomly think about you the other day, because I drove past Elmos.

Anyway, back on topic -- I have NEVER seen a complete retro computer at a goodwill, and you got 3 for 8 bucks? Wow. What Goodwill was that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My best and only GW game
    Find was a genesis with 3 games for 15.00. I needed it but overall my finds were disappointing
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I dont really live by any goodwills, but my grilfriend and I happened to be near one over the weekend. We popped in there and they mostly had common PS1 and PS2 games, but I did find Koudelka for PS1 complete for 5 bucks. That was really the only good deal I saw one of the few times I've been to one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Local Goodwill is still very random. You can walk away empty-handed 9 times out of 10, or even 29 times out of 30; but their prices are typically very good here. It's also smack dab in the center of town, so it's pretty easy to stop by real quick when you're doing other stuff and not waste much time. The last time I went, I saw they put all of their games back with the VHS/DVDs and now priced them to $1.99 for all platforms. It'd been a while since my last visit, when the same games were separated and priced at $4 or so.

I guess it's time to start hitting it up again regularly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Nice at auctions it often go's for more TMNT IV has that demand as of late.
    Yuppers, that's why I was happy with the score. First time in a long time I have seen games in the store though. Usually they don't have them because they just put them on the auction site or Amazon.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    Totally off topic, but I haven't seen you in a thread I followed in a while.... I did just randomly think about you the other day, because I drove past Elmos.

Anyway, back on topic -- I have NEVER seen a complete retro computer at a goodwill, and you got 3 for 8 bucks? Wow. What Goodwill was that?
    well actually I moved about 1 year ago. relationship fell apart and just fell on some sucky times so in the great American tradition I moved out west to find myself...or some crap. I currently live in Phoenix, AZ and compared to the Pittsburgh area there are a ton of GW's out here. besides an overpriced atari 400 computer I also never found a complete retro pc at a Pitt area goodwill though i did pretty commonly come across boxed retro PC games. Since moving out here though I find a lot more stuff on average, I don't know if its because there are more GW's to hit out here or if its the higher population or just the area being more affluent. I know WD and Intel have a few factories in the area so maybe there have been more PC savey people here for longer. I find rare PC stuff here a lot though. older and harder to find 8 bit isa stuff among other things, came across a random 486 mca card to overclock old IBM PS/2 systems not to long ago which was kinda neat. also a boxed vic-20 at a local thrift about a year ago.

the console front sucks pretty bad though. I see old systems now and then. randomly found areobiz supersonic about a month ago which was a favorite as a kid.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Another few pics from Value Village, taken a couple days ago. Just some general pricing on some empty Rubbermaid container.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Wow. That has to be a mistype.
    I still find it funny, about 2 or so years ago I was browsing through our thrift store thats about 20 miles north of here. Sitting almost next to eachother was a gamecube with no cables and fingernail polish all over it for 45 dollars, and a sealed original big box Ultima Savage Empire for IBM and PC. Selling price was 2 bucks. When I got to the counter the woman said "thank god, everytime i get a dang computer game they just sit" its been a regular stop for me since. Haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It MAY be a mistype, or it's the greed of the individual with the price gun.

I got a fun example. Half Price Books (the closer of 2 to me in town) has had a few copies of the guide MGS2 for PS2. They were like $5/ea and they'd never sell and in time hit the discount bin for a buck and eventually sell as no one really cared and they go for nothing on ebay too shipping aside. Oddly the fool whoever one day 4-6mo ago now got one decided it was rare, marked it with a hand written star and then priced it at $59.99. It's still there, lost in the cracks and oddly hasn't been priced back since it's such a rare treasure.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

The worst is "oh thats for a system called nintendo, its extremely rare" everytime i hear that i whip out my phone and show a pic of my collection and respond with "so i guess im a millionaire from your logic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    The worst is "oh thats for a system called nintendo, its extremely rare" everytime i hear that i whip out my phone and show a pic of my collection and respond with "so i guess im a millionaire from your logic.
    Excellent reply.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    "'Extremely rare' and 'worth a lot of money' are not necessarily synonymous " would be my reply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I meant to post this yesterday but the forum was down. For reference, the Dollarama is literally next door to this Value Village.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

For some reason this thread wasn't bumped back up when I posted, so I'm bumping it up now.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I meant to post this yesterday but the forum was down. For reference, the Dollarama is literally next door to this Value Village.

Yeah but this one is extremely rare because it actually sold once. Most people know these things are cheaply made and will fall apart quickly, leaving them on the shelf.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]