Thread: Which version of Sid Meier's Pirates! is your favorite?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post
    The PSP/Xbox (original) version. They are almost identical. I played a ton of the PSP version. It's almost rogue-like, isn't it?

In honor of that version, I've been collecting most of the other versions. I need to spend a little time on the Apple IIgs version and see what the original (should be similar to the C64 and other versions) was like.
    Space Rogue right from Origin? Yeah I see your point there are some similarities. I remember playing Space Rogue on the C64 & and on an 8088 machine with CGA gfx. Jeez, even with four colors it was still a great game. Haven't played Pirates on the Apple IIgs. But from what I can tell from the Youtube videos it looks like a really good investment especially if you have an Apple IIgs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-acTRef_Q

Pirates is such a great game every now and again I fire it up on my SX-64. GOG has a great deal going for Pirates. You get the original DOS version of Pirates in all it's EGA glory and Pirates Gold for just a couple of bucks.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    Space Rogue right from Origin? Yeah I see your point there are some similarities. I remember playing Space Rogue on the C64 & and on an 8088 machine with CGA gfx. Jeez, even with four colors it was still a great game. Haven't played Pirates on the Apple IIgs. But from what I can tell from the Youtube videos it looks like a really good investment especially if you have an Apple IIgs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-acTRef_Q

Pirates is such a great game every now and again I fire it up on my SX-64. GOG has a great deal going for Pirates. You get the original DOS version of Pirates in all it's EGA glory and Pirates Gold for just a couple of bucks.

Wow the memories! My first computer was an Apple IIGS and the first game I remember playing on it was Pirates. Thanks for the video link... good times

As for which version I prefer? I think they did an excellent job with the 2004 update of the game, they didn't try to "re-imagine" anything, they simply stuck with the perfect game they had with better graphics and UI.
    My Classic Gaming YouTube Channel ---> www.youtube.com/user/NeptunesNookGames
    My eBay Store ---> www.neptunesnook.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeptunesNookGames View Post
    Wow the memories! My first computer was an Apple IIGS and the first game I remember playing on it was Pirates. Thanks for the video link... good times

As for which version I prefer? I think they did an excellent job with the 2004 update of the game, they didn't try to "re-imagine" anything, they simply stuck with the perfect game they had with better graphics and UI.
    Glad you liked the video. The More I see the Apple IIGS the more I like it. Right now I'm trying to decide between an Atari XEGS or an Atari 800 but the Apple IIGS is a serious contender for the next addition to my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Have you ever heard of Marcel Strbak's "Pirates 2" ? It was on Underdogs once and thus has been re-circulated many times over:
    http://www.goodolddays.net/hotud/ind...w=game&id=1359
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Have you ever heard of Marcel Strbak's "Pirates 2" ? It was on Underdogs once and thus has been re-circulated many times over:
    http://www.goodolddays.net/hotud/ind...w=game&id=1359
    I'd never heard of this Freeware version of Pirates. According to Marcel Strbak he made it while he was still in high school.

http://www.strbak.com/pirates2.htm
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 09-29-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

Commodore 64 version 4 lyfe.