Video games have definitely left me behind. I generally agree with the points that have been made in this thread, but I'll add another one that gets me personally- the games now are so detailed that it's art, style or characters will turn me off completely and I won't play it. For example, I hate macho badass shmucks. The characters in the original Contra may have been that, but they just ran around and shot things and didn't annoy me. Now I have to listen to some idiot's arrogant one liners every time he accomplishes some menial task. There's so much annoying voice acting in games these days, I long for the days when it was just text.

Also, there have been a lot of Japanese games that may be pretty good that I won't play because most of the characters look ridiculous to me nowadays. This wasn't a problem with low res pixels. I think a lot of you will understand the value of having your imagination fill in the gaps. Right?

Does anyone else have the problem of modern games' elements of style ruining it for you?