Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    If you want to play Shivers 2, you need the second disc because it has the game's ending. I haven't played either game in years because I have no idea how I'd get them to run on Windows 7, and that pretty much goes for all my old PC games (aside from the few that run on DosBox that is). Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    For awhile I used a program called Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 to run Win98 in a virtualized environment. It works for any game that does not require 3D acceleration (which Shivers 1 and 2 don't) and even some that do if you don't mind playing them in Software mode. Basically anything up to Direct X 6.

I wound up building my own Win98 machine, but I do sometimes keep tabs on virtualizers to see if they've ever gotten a good all-purpose solution for Windows 95/98. Unfortunately most of them are focused more on Windows XP for reasons I can't comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    This thread has made me realize that what I need most in my life right now is a win 98 laptop. o.O
    Laptops are good IF you only ever intend to run Windows on them. The problem is that the built-in soundcards often aren't really "Sound Blaster Compatible." If there's a laptop that'll run Windows 98 and which has an actual Sound Blaster built in, I don't know of it. Anyway, Windows games (usually) can still play fine regardless, but if you try to play Dos games you'll be screwed unless you don't mind missing sounds or music.

Although on the one I owned, it didn't really like Doom 95--it played, and it had sound effects, but no music.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 05-08-2015 at 10:46 AM.