0 Posts

Lighthouse: The Dark Being by Sierra On Line

Others that have been mentioned: 7th Guest, Titanic

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Dare I ask what "Drowned God" is about? The title alone makes that sound fascinating.

I'm stuck in a puzzle in Timelapse. Something about these colored crystals each representing an egyptian god. My copy actually included the Prima Official Guide though, so if I give up I'll just use that, but it feels like being defeated if I do.

Ironically I never needed to use a guide in Myst, but I did in Riven (think in the latter case I just got mentally weary because I played the two in a marathon). Incidentally I found a box set of the first three games at Goodwill, all on DVD, and 1st is the Masterpiece Edition. too bad it wasn't RealMyst but oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have that set. Riven and Exile work fine, but Myst kept crashing on me for some reason. Oh well.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Okay, I've got a serious question.

You play a Myst clone and it has a completely WTF puzzle that takes you days to piece together, and when you do it makes you go just "WTF how was I supposed to figure that out?"

Then you realize you DID figure it out. All by yourself. Without any sort of outside help.

Does that mean maybe the puzzle isn't as obtuse and insane as you thought, or does it mean you're actually crazy?

And in either case, does it make it fair to hold that puzzle against the game in question?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If there was absolutely no skill involved and you got lucky, then yes, you absolutely should hold it against the makers of the game.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Pyst.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kenji Eno's D was alright the first time through.

Mansion of Hidden Souls... eh, I thought it was mediocre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    If there was absolutely no skill involved and you got lucky, then yes, you absolutely should hold it against the makers of the game.
    Ehm, I dunno if how it played out qualifies as just getting lucky, is the thing.

Okay, see... in Timelapse, there's this part where you find a stone tablet. The tablet displays these markings, next to pictures of objects--one mark is next to a dagger, another is against a basket, another against a coffin, etc. Now, I had seen these same marks in a combination lock earlier, so I knew they must be numbers, but I didn't see the relevance of the items they were beside. A puzzle involving crystals used these numbers too, but I managed to brute force that one.

So then I come to the combination lock, and seeing as I already know "these are numbers" I try all sorts of logical approaches--maybe the top-right one is One and the bottom right is Ten? That doesn't work. So I try every variation thereof.

Then I go back to where I saw the tablet in the first place, and look around. Earlier I had seen a treasure chest full of daggers that I didn't understand the relevance of, since you can only look at them, not interact with them in any way. Right next to that chest is some vases, and it suddenly hits me that these look just like the vases on that tablet... and that, in fact, every item on that tablet is found in the same general area as the tablet itself, in varying quantities...

And then I'm like, "you can't be serious."

But yeah, they were serious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From your description, it sounds fine to me. The clue was there, you just didn't realize it until later. I likely would have had a hard time figuring it out too, but in games like this, I always figure it's an issue with me, not the way the game is designed and I ask myself "What have I missed? What did I overlook?".
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

THREAD REVIVAL MAGIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    I have that set. Riven and Exile work fine, but Myst kept crashing on me for some reason. Oh well.
    I recently had to deal with problems with the Riven DVD from that set, with some help from Reddit. Might be unrelated to your problem but....

https://www.reddit.com/r/myst/commen...es_on_win98se/

Also while re-reading this old topic I saw other "related" topics from years past.... saw one guy from 2007 saying Myst was a Dragon's Lair clone. I'll never understand how people that dumb can even manage to use Windows, much less play games on anything whose controller has more than one button.

That said, playing Myst again, I love it but I also do get behind one particular complaint I've seen on the webs--that it's a shallow experience. Even if you don't mind the type of game it is, for me it feels like its over too quick and more like a minigame I would expect to be included with a more fully-fleshed-out game than something you would spend money for on its own. Each Age only really has one puzzle to solve and then its over. And in my case at least, I never needed a walkthru.

(Though in my case, my copy of Myst came as a special pack-in with Riven, so I DID get it as a bonus included with another game)

This doesn't make it bad, though I wish they would endlessly port and remake Riven instead, or at least in addition to (realRiven would be absolutely mindblowing)

Anyway, been reading up on a game called Schizm: Mysterious Journey, which I almost bought... until I read in several places that they had to remove content from the 5 CD-ROM version to make it fit, but the DVD-ROM version contains everything.

.... and yet the DVD-ROM release is rare as hell by all appearances. That sucks -__-

Just wanna be forewarned in advance: Are there any other Win95/98-era games where there's a DVD-ROM release, and especially one that actually has additional content not in the CD-ROM version? Riven is supposed to be just slightly better looking (personally I haven't seen a difference) so in that case the only benefit is not having to switch discs, but things like Schizm make me crazy.

Also, I still never got a fixed/working copy of Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD) or D (Saturn)....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The Witness is a recent release that's like myst.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    THREAD REVIVAL MAGIC!!!

I recently had to deal with problems with the Riven DVD from that set, with some help from Reddit. Might be unrelated to your problem but....

https://www.reddit.com/r/myst/commen...es_on_win98se/

Also while re-reading this old topic I saw other "related" topics from years past.... saw one guy from 2007 saying Myst was a Dragon's Lair clone. I'll never understand how people that dumb can even manage to use Windows, much less play games on anything whose controller has more than one button.

That said, playing Myst again, I love it but I also do get behind one particular complaint I've seen on the webs--that it's a shallow experience. Even if you don't mind the type of game it is, for me it feels like its over too quick and more like a minigame I would expect to be included with a more fully-fleshed-out game than something you would spend money for on its own. Each Age only really has one puzzle to solve and then its over. And in my case at least, I never needed a walkthru.

(Though in my case, my copy of Myst came as a special pack-in with Riven, so I DID get it as a bonus included with another game)

This doesn't make it bad, though I wish they would endlessly port and remake Riven instead, or at least in addition to (realRiven would be absolutely mindblowing)

Anyway, been reading up on a game called Schizm: Mysterious Journey, which I almost bought... until I read in several places that they had to remove content from the 5 CD-ROM version to make it fit, but the DVD-ROM version contains everything.

.... and yet the DVD-ROM release is rare as hell by all appearances. That sucks -__-

Just wanna be forewarned in advance: Are there any other Win95/98-era games where there's a DVD-ROM release, and especially one that actually has additional content not in the CD-ROM version? Riven is supposed to be just slightly better looking (personally I haven't seen a difference) so in that case the only benefit is not having to switch discs, but things like Schizm make me crazy.

Also, I still never got a fixed/working copy of Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD) or D (Saturn)....
    I have three copies of D for Saturn. I know one has a good second disc that I usually play on, one has a bad second disc that I bought the other to replace. The third, I honestly don't recall. I'll test it next weekend, and if it's good, I'll let you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I have three copies of D for Saturn. I know one has a good second disc that I usually play on, one has a bad second disc that I bought the other to replace. The third, I honestly don't recall. I'll test it next weekend, and if it's good, I'll let you know.
    Thanks. I'll try to return the favor.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure there was a game like that recently on next-gen consoles... something about discovering the case of a missing person and wandering around the wilderness... i forget the name i know there was something about talking to a girl on the radio all the time