Thread: Daria Reviews Wonder Project J [SNES]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great review of Sweet Home! I wasn't aware of the game at all, probably because it was never released in the US; but thanks to your review I know now that it is a very important game for the history of the survival horror genre and for RPGs.

Too bad that it never came out in Europe or the US. (I assume you played a repro cart) This is a game which I'd like to play very much because these early 8bit games if done right show the raw gamelements of games today and remind us that the basics of games didn't change so much at all. The game surely paved the gameplay for a lot of survival horror games.

About the video: great editing (!!), I loved the way you compared the movie with the game and put game scenes side by side with scenes from the movie. The introduction is very well done because you showed which place the game has in game history and gave an insight in the survival horror genre (equals the incentive to watch the video); and like always you explained WHY this game is well done and it works, that means it accomplishes what it tries to do.

That's how a game review should be done! Great! (and not like these dumb and mindless reviews out there with wannabe funny babbling, screaming 'fuck' and 'bitch' all the time, and destroying games with a hammer while they don't explain a thing)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Great review of Sweet Home! I wasn't aware of the game at all, probably because it was never released in the US; but thanks to your review I know now that it is a very important game for the history of the survival horror genre and for RPGs.

Too bad that it never came out in Europe or the US. (I assume you played a repro cart) This is a game which I'd like to play very much because these early 8bit games if done right show the raw gamelements of games today and remind us that the basics of games didn't change so much at all. The game surely paved the gameplay for a lot of survival horror games.

About the video: great editing (!!), I loved the way you compared the movie with the game and put game scenes side by side with scenes from the movie. The introduction is very well done because you showed which place the game has in game history and gave an insight in the survival horror genre (equals the incentive to watch the video); and like always you explained WHY this game is well done and it works, that means it accomplishes what it tries to do.

That's how a game review should be done! Great! (and not like these dumb and mindless reviews out there with wannabe funny babbling, screaming 'fuck' and 'bitch' all the time, and destroying games with a hammer while they don't explain a thing)
    Heh. While this is one of three games I do have reproduction carts for, I just emulated it. It's really convenient for capturing footage and I'm not at all squeamish when it comes to emulation. But thank you for the feedback. This video took so long to make I nearly threw in the towel more than once, but I'm really happy with how it turned out (some goofy pronunciation excluded). I like funny videos as much as anyone else, but I feel like there's a need for more analytical spin when it comes to RPGs. With the popularity of reproduction carts I keep seeing the same 15 games or so getting all the praise. And so many collectors are dead set against emulation I don't think they realize what's even out there.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Nice video. Sweet Home really is one of the best games on the NES.
    I played through it earlier this year and I couldnt put it down untill I beat it. In some ways its very similar to Earthbound. In both games you have to pray to defeat the final boss.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Nice video. Sweet Home really is one of the best games on the NES.
    I played through it earlier this year and I couldnt put it down untill I beat it. In some ways its very similar to Earthbound. In both games you have to pray to defeat the final boss.
    That's an interesting point - didn't think of that. They're both also take place in a "modern" setting. That alone is pretty unusual for an RPG.