Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NES vs. Retron... Original is obviously better but less affordable. :( advice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd back up using yamatoku but not any more. In the last few weeks he started I think using the ebay GSP or something. Stuff only ships out like where it takes a week, fully tracked start to end, and insured. You can end up buying a $3 gameboy game and paying like $15 for the shipping. I clicked on the SFC system on top as I saw it first and it was like $40-45 shipped. That's just unacceptable.

Papiyon is who I trust out of Japan even before that other one.
    http://stores.ebay.com/ryoplanshop/G...sid=1028626876

Cheap shipping, packs stuff very well, couple times I've bought, they threw in a pack of green tea as a thank you with a little note in Japanese and english. Very friendly over email too. They don't use stock images so you know what to expect.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Sure pay $1 for a super Famicom $41 to ship it $42 total. That's way too much for a tested system with all the hookups and controllers.
    Regardless we are talking about Famicom not sfc, and those shipping prices are lower.

Last shipment i got last week didn't take long to ship, i ran into 2 problems though both of which were not the sellers fault. #1 was a bug in eBay's system that wouldn't allow me to pay and #2 was a lazy postal worker saying no one was home to deliver when i watched him drive on by

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    C0NCRETED0LL
    PSN
    GrapeChelly
    Steam
    MiaMortus

Talking

Hey guys! I got my system from my friend, and its in wonderful shape. And he gave me about 30 games too... which are really blowing me away. He says there are more games but he has to find them in his basement. The only thing is he didn't have his hook ups for it, so I was wondering if there was a 3rd party AV cable and AC adapter you guys recommended?
    I found a few on ebay, and usually im all about the OG cables and accessories... but people are really scalping prices on ebay for them.

The system is still white! And only has one little scuff:

The games!!!!!!

Also, he threw in a genesis too xD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not bad, I see a set of quality games, some of them getting a bit on the heavier price side with Mega Man 3 and 4 and their knockoff 'Indian' clone in Whomp Em which is a solid game (I've had it before.) It's odd he has a few dupes, but maybe family/friends stuff get tossed around or he a collector who quit.

Now you can get an old chinese pos ac adapter online but I'd strongly suggest not to do it. I'm sure they're fine in general but I've read occasionally enough bad stories about them I will never touch an old system (or new) with a third party power plug, a/v cable (due to quality problems too), and for disc based systems memory cards as they're usually crap.

You can get a general mono A/V cable from monocable.com(I think that's it) or just drive to target or a best buy and pay a few bucks for a short cable. The AC I'd just eat it and buy one off ebay, they're not expensive. I'm sure something like my old friend starwander/mortoff on ebay had all the parts as he's got a crap load of good stuff, if not him perhaps the Nintendo Repair Shop. Better off waiting a few days and get what will do you right.

Yes I know I haven't posted much in days, but the admin seems to have temporarily quit so it's safe to write currently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    C0NCRETED0LL
    PSN
    GrapeChelly
    Steam
    MiaMortus

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES has a bridge rectifier, so you can use any adapter that outputs ~9V and is rated for ~1A.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeChelly View Post
    Yup unless pirates have learned to age and item and gave up not putting the Nintendo logos on power adapters (they usually sand them oval smooth) that's original. Given the $20 includes shipping and they're a little heavy that's not too bad. The only other option I'd trust would cost that or more, being a DIY multi-volt/prong (or exact needs) AC plug from Radio Shack.

Though you could get one for $15 shipped which is more what I was thinking the cost would/should be.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES...AAAOSwPcVVvUNx

This one ends in 6 hours, it's a whole dollar less if someone doesn't bid, doesn't seem worth it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES...cAAOSwZtJW-DNX

Maybe you could best offer this dude down to $10-12 shipped from $15?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Nintendo...AAAOSw7n9XElsS

My ebay search was: oem nes adapter (Which also pulled up a lot of RF cables too)

Seems an a/v mono cable should be around $5 shipped
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-NINTENDO...0AAOSwmrlUzAG1
    (That link is sosagames, they're a good company, they even correct all wrongs happily with no problems as I've dealt with them twice before.)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

That's a really nice bundle of games, lots of fun ones and some hard to find. You actually have the TV hookup for the NES with the games, if you want AV cables any quality cables will work just fine.

That adapter is a bit expensive, I'm surprised they're going for so much now. You do have a double of Super Mario 3, you could try trading it for an adapter. Or thrift stores, they do turn up regularly. I have a few spares but I don't ship anything, to me they're worth $5 or maybe $10.

If you want 3rd party all you really need is a Genesis model 1 adapter which is compatible. Or really any 9 volt adapter that's at least 1 amp. Most 3rd party adapters specifically advertised for the NES are poorly made and/or under powered which is why they're terrible, any quality 9 volt adapter should be fine. Often you can tell the quality by looking at it in person, crappy ones just look cheaply made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    C0NCRETED0LL
    PSN
    GrapeChelly
    Steam
    MiaMortus

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Yup unless pirates have learned to age and item and gave up not putting the Nintendo logos on power adapters (they usually sand them oval smooth) that's original. Given the $20 includes shipping and they're a little heavy that's not too bad. The only other option I'd trust would cost that or more, being a DIY multi-volt/prong (or exact needs) AC plug from Radio Shack.

Though you could get one for $15 shipped which is more what I was thinking the cost would/should be.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES...AAAOSwPcVVvUNx

This one ends in 6 hours, it's a whole dollar less if someone doesn't bid, doesn't seem worth it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES...cAAOSwZtJW-DNX

Maybe you could best offer this dude down to $10-12 shipped from $15?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Nintendo...AAAOSw7n9XElsS

My ebay search was: oem nes adapter (Which also pulled up a lot of RF cables too)

Seems an a/v mono cable should be around $5 shipped
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-NINTENDO...0AAOSwmrlUzAG1
    (That link is sosagames, they're a good company, they even correct all wrongs happily with no problems as I've dealt with them twice before.)

Thanks so much! I just ordered from the sellers you listed. OEM and happy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    C0NCRETED0LL
    PSN
    GrapeChelly
    Steam
    MiaMortus

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    That's a really nice bundle of games, lots of fun ones and some hard to find. You actually have the TV hookup for the NES with the games, if you want AV cables any quality cables will work just fine.

That adapter is a bit expensive, I'm surprised they're going for so much now. You do have a double of Super Mario 3, you could try trading it for an adapter. Or thrift stores, they do turn up regularly. I have a few spares but I don't ship anything, to me they're worth $5 or maybe $10.

If you want 3rd party all you really need is a Genesis model 1 adapter which is compatible. Or really any 9 volt adapter that's at least 1 amp. Most 3rd party adapters specifically advertised for the NES are poorly made and/or under powered which is why they're terrible, any quality 9 volt adapter should be fine. Often you can tell the quality by looking at it in person, crappy ones just look cheaply made.

I hope that they all work! I'm very excited for Whomp 'em, such a weird re-skinning of a famicom game. I should see about keeping the doubles for trades! I just bought the connections that tanooki advised. I have no luck with thrift stores, we have a few "retro game stores" in our area, and the owners all frequent the thrift stores regularly and buy and then mark up... :'(

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Do you have any thrift stores in your area? Some of the ones around here have a wall of AC adapters, and it is almost always possible to find one that will work with an NES since 9V is pretty common, and it takes the most common barrel (connector/plug) size. As has been said, the NES doesn't care if it is AC or DC output from the adapter, and 1A isn't too hard to find, either. And a cable with RCA connections shouldn't be hard to find. Based on what I have laying around, I'd be shocked if there's anyone that DOESN'T have one in their house. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but still, it is something that someone you know and see daily of has extras of. In the meantime, you can use that RF adapter.

That's a nice bunch of games! Congrats again! Now get cracking on that mug set for the guy.

edit: whoops, cross post. Well, if thrift stores won't work, then I'd still say you've done pretty well.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 04-18-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    C0NCRETED0LL
    PSN
    GrapeChelly
    Steam
    MiaMortus

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Do you have any thrift stores in your area? Some of the ones around here have a wall of AC adapters, and it is almost always possible to find one that will work with an NES since 9V is pretty common, and it takes the most common barrel (connector/plug) size. As has been said, the NES doesn't care if it is AC or DC output from the adapter, and 1A isn't too hard to find, either. And a cable with RCA connections shouldn't be hard to find. Based on what I have laying around, I'd be shocked if there's anyone that DOESN'T have one in their house. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but still, it is something that someone you know and see daily of has extras of. In the meantime, you can use that RF adapter.

That's a nice bunch of games! Congrats again! Now get cracking on that mug set for the guy.

edit: whoops, cross post. Well, if thrift stores won't work, then I'd still say you've done pretty well.
    I already started the mug set! He said no but im making it anyway :P
    But thanks so much! I'm so glad you guys said to ask! I would be kicking myself now for buying a nes for $80....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeChelly View Post
    Hey guys! I got my system from my friend, and its in wonderful shape. And he gave me about 30 games too... which are really blowing me away. He says there are more games but he has to find them in his basement. The only thing is he didn't have his hook ups for it, so I was wondering if there was a 3rd party AV cable and AC adapter you guys recommended?
    I found a few on ebay, and usually im all about the OG cables and accessories... but people are really scalping prices on ebay for them.

The system is still white! And only has one little scuff:

The games!!!!!!

Also, he threw in a genesis too xD.
    Outstanding. I'm happy for your fortune. Enjoy your new NES and games!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the Retron 5 and everytime I pull the cart, I feel like im going to break the pins off the games, So It's collecting dust.