At this point, PS2 (and Xbox, GCN, and DEFINITELY Dreamcast) are firmly in the classic category. Hell, pre-Crash stuff seems like it's not "classic" so much as it is "vintage". Demand for pre-Crash stuff seems to have dropped, it's stuff for the NES and newer systems that are most sought-after now.

The PS2 has been out of production for almost a half-decade. It's as old as the Genesis was when I started collecting in '06 (1989-2006, 2000-2017, about 16.5 years) and the Genesis was definitely classic then. No games have come out on PS2 in over 3 years.

When this thread was first active (2013/14) the successors to the PS2 and its competitors were still around. PS3 and Xbox 360 were late in their lifecycle, but still getting many new games and their successors were just coming out. The Wii was on its last legs.

Now, three years later, the PS3 is on its very last legs, the Xbox 360's been out of production for a year, and the Wii probably ceased production a few years ago (2014-15?). The PS4 and Xbox One are in their prime. The Wii U is dead, replaced by the Switch.

By the time the PS2 was nearly dead (2011-ish) the PS1 was pretty much universally considered "classic", or at least not modern.

If you replace that "2011" with "2017", you can replace that PS2 and PS1 with PS3 and PS2.

So I'd call the PS2 unequivocally classic, and would suggest that any thread about the PS2 that has been started since 2014 be moved to the "classic" section. I'd DEFINITELY say that no one should be posting PS2 as "modern" today. The argument for keeping PS2 modern may have held some water in 2013-14 (although I would have called the PS2 classic around 2012) but by 2017 any valid argument to keep the PS2 in the "modern" category has dried up, and there's really no debate today. And of course, the Xbox and GCN are classic. The GCN has been out of production for 10 years: anyone that still claims it to be modern is out of their mind.