Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

For player's choice (if it counts) I played through TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for SNES, then a quick run through MD Hyperstone Heist just for comparison.

I'd never spent more than 5 minutes with either game until now. For Turtles in Time, I thought it was a good game and can totally see the hype/nostalgia behind it. Never played the arcade version so I don't know how it compares to it, but as its own thing I enjoyed it more than anticipated. While I can totally recognize the quality I still don't care too much for the licensed Konami beat 'em ups for the fact the engine doesn't have a consistent grab mechanic. They're more like a hack & slash, even moreso than Golden Axe. Totally underwhelmed after finally seeing the "footsoldier thrown into the camera" trick; it's a 2 frame animation with zero scaling that could have been done on any system.

Hyperstone Heist is decent but fully embraces the Konami half-ass Sega efforts curse. Having a dedicated dash button is awesome, having half the content removed isn't.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    For player's choice (if it counts) I played through TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for SNES, then a quick run through MD Hyperstone Heist just for comparison.

I'd never spent more than 5 minutes with either game until now. For Turtles in Time, I thought it was a good game and can totally see the hype/nostalgia behind it. Never played the arcade version so I don't know how it compares to it, but as its own thing I enjoyed it more than anticipated. While I can totally recognize the quality I still don't care too much for the licensed Konami beat 'em ups for the fact the engine doesn't have a consistent grab mechanic. They're more like a hack & slash, even moreso than Golden Axe. Totally underwhelmed after finally seeing the "footsoldier thrown into the camera" trick; it's a 2 frame animation with zero scaling that could have been done on any system.

Hyperstone Heist is decent but fully embraces the Konami half-ass Sega efforts curse. Having a dedicated dash button is awesome, having half the content removed isn't.
    Turtles in Time is probably my all-time favorite SNES game. The grab-and-throw is mostly based on whether you're holding the joystick towards your opponent when you hit the button. The foot-soldier-toss animation is a lot smoother in the arcade version. The hit contact and detection actually feels better on the SNES game than the arcade version.

There is a lot of variety in moves that you may not notice if you only play it a couple times. For example, there are three different kinds of jump kicks depending on when you hit the attack button during the jump. There also also four separate dash moves: a shoulder charge, flying kick, flip, and slide.

The SNES game would be just about perfect with a dedicated run button and with six buttons there was no good reason not to include one. The double tap timing to run feels just a little bit off.