Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
If one plays the NES emulator with a flash cart in this thing, do you still have pixilation?
._O

Anyhow, there's good and bad points compared to the Super GB. On the minus side you can't create your own color schemes nor draw your own backgrounds (or draw over the playfield...the Nintendo Power Super Game Boy guide had a field day with this ability) but on the plus side the preset color schemes are pretty good--if Link's Awakening is any indication. Rupees and certain other items are two shades of blue, Link's composed of greens, and the background is...pink. Other colors are to be found in the game such as the egg in the title sequence which I believe was red.

Some of your GUI options (Z-button) are useless--for example, the timer. It just counts down and then puts a message onscreen. Doesn't affect the gameplay, but maybe it's useful if your stove's broken and you need an ad hoc egg timer (I do hope you get that stove fixed because no decent homemaker would have time to leave the GameBoy Player on just to time things, and furthermore the alarm is pretty much unnoticeable unless you're looking at the screen).

Cartridge swapping, and perhaps more importantly game resets, are accomplished with the rightmost option which is something like "change game." Anyhow, it doesn't eject the cartridge automatically but as I've said, if you just want to reset the game you just have to hit this button twice, and that's quite nice! Without rice.

There are three graphical filters which affect the graphics somewhat--they make progression from frame to frame sharper or blurrier depending on your preference.

Unfortunately they don't allow for remap of different buttons to the shoulder buttons--while it would've been rather hard to use Metriod Fusion's shoot on a shoulder button, mapping the Jump to R would've been a blessing as the A and tiny B buttons right next to each other have to be used continually throughout the next-to-last fight of the game, and this would've helped considerably. That's perhaps a complaint against the GameCube controller in general, but the only remap function available simply takes the L and R buttons and swaps them with the two yellow buttons above A which isn't really that useful.

That said, I bought a GameCube when this marvel came out and only then. It's also saved my GameCube from taking an unsightly ding to the front bottom right hand corner of the case, and probably its relatively uncomplicated construction serves as a nice cushion as well ;)