Wooo! Lendelin is runnin' hot. Heh heh heh.

While I don't really collect anymore, just looking at the whole situation reminds me of the old-time hucksters standing on their soapbox to sell their snake oil or "rare items procured from deep within the Orient." It nips at that greed factor of that triggers the "gotta have it" mentality we are seeing a lot more these days. The fear of not getting the item at a good price fuels that desire. It's their mission:

"At Limited Run Games our releases truly are limited. Once a game sells out, it will never be available from us again! We believe that as collectors and consumers you should be able to trust when we say our games are limited. They are!"

However, this comes across as a double standard with the following, taken from the site's own "about" page, below the quote I pasted:

"Our goal is to serve gamers and collectors by bringing physicality back to games. Please support us in this goal and try to collect the entire Limited Run Collection!"

So how is this forced limitation serving gamers? If it gets gobbled up in minutes with some of those copies being flipped to eBay, all that serves are the "entrepeneurs".

I'm not sure how transparent LRG is in regards as to why the releases are so limited. Is it because they are only licensed to make a very small run or are they choosing to make a small run? If it's the former, then I can see the hype train as yes, these games truly will be limited. No BS. If the latter, it just smacks of some predatory salesmanship to line some pockets and create artificial scarcity all around.

If they have a "collector's" and "standard" version, why not make the collector's a true limited run? The extra cost of the added bonusrs add up and historically would be more acceptable as limited. Then have preorders for the standards with an amount limit, so if a particular run didn't get enough people to order, that run doesn't get made. Will people be put out with that, sure. The difference is there is a better opportunity to get one, they know that a certain amount needs to be ordered for it to be worthwhile for LRG to make the games and if it doesn't happen, then blame those that didn't buy. A bit more goodwill would be had methinks.