Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I think the only thing that I dislike about current gen gaming is that everything is a re-release. I just can't get very excited about games I already own coming out again and again with updated graphics. I feel like it's a big scam and the developers are all just laughing at how stupid the general gaming public is for re-purchasing games that they have already purchased. If I were to buy something like the new Smash Bros for switch, I'd sell my Wii U version and put the money towards the switch version (which I did with Mario Kart 8). It just doesn't feel worth it to me otherwise. The only exception in my opinion is games like Ocarina of Time on the 3DS mostly due to being able to play the game in 3D, or if it's a souped up version of a rare/expensive game that I otherwise wouldn't buy or play due to it being expensive or hard to find. A remake would have to be built from the ground up, or just be something I've never played the first time around for it to catch my interest. The Uncharted: Nathan Drake collection comes to mind mostly because I never played them on PS3...but I found it used for $5 so it was a no brainer on that one.
    I'm with you on this. People act like I'm biased against the Switch because I'm bashing it for being 98% ports, but I was bashing on the PS4 alongside everyone else. The only people defending the Switch being mass ports though is the die hard Nintendo fanboys who have never owned another publishers console in their life though and would probably sacrifice their first born child if Miyamoto commanded it. I own 166 games on the PS4 as of right now(that I plan to keep,) and my collection consists of 37 remasters. To be fair, there are some of these I didn't own, some of these were rumored and announced prior to their release on last gen consoles, and some of them have major improvements and/or include all the DLC, but even so, damn. I just counted and didn't realize that I had so many in my collection, nearly one fourth of my PS4 library. One fourth sounds pretty large sure, but if you think about it, I still own 129 games that I'm planning to keep that have never made it to retail on any other past console.

After the second year of the PS4 and Xbox One, there's been fewer and fewer ports and rereleases from most developers. Hopefully it ends with Nintendo as well, but it just seems like it's even worse for that company after they released their first remaster and saw how many people will go out and rebuy their games that they've went all in with remasters and ports. This latest Nintendo Direct was either games we already knew about, or 3DS and Switch ports of past games. It's like. Damn Nintendo, I already feel robbed purchasing a Wii U in the first place, leave some exclusives for the damn system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Pure technical advancement doesn't impress me, I don't care how much better a game looks or runs now compared to older hardware. Or every modern movie would automatically be better than every older movie ever made, just because better equipment and effects are available to make them now. The finished product as a whole is what impresses me, if it's fun and enjoyable and by how much.
    This statement seems more like you're just stuck in the past. It's not just pure technical advancement. Many of these indie games could probably run on the PS1, even a lot of larger Japanese publishers are PS3 or even PS2 quality releases. Also just because a game looks great, doesn't mean that it can't be a quality game. When it comes to gameplay, Metal Gear Solid 5 is the best in the series, and while it's bloated with content and probably would have been better without being open world, it's one of the few open world games this gen that does open world gaming right. The Last of Us looks amazing, and is imo the best stealth game ever released, the game has a quality multiplayer added onto it as well. The Last of Us is such a great game that Capcom decided to rip it off with Resident Evil Revelations 2(they failed of course.) Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 could look like sh** and still be great games, but they also look amazing as well. Throwing out "pure technical advancement," sounds more like you're blindly bashing newer stuff just because it's new.

As I said in my previous post, how many shit games are there on the NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. There's a lot of trash among all of those consoles, infact there's stuff so bad that atleast in the retail market on current gen consoles, nothing even comes close to comparing. Almost all games that are released today on the retail market are on average better than half the 8 and 16bit libraries. Praise past gen titles as much as you want, we all know there was also a lot of crap. Granted there was a lot of great games as well, but acting like past gen is superior because limited graphics is just as bad as me being an elitist(which I have no problems admitting.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.